What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

My thinking is that successive waves of staff and players from successful clubs were recruited. They explained how things worked at those organisations and we followed suit.

Or we just f**ked up (repeatedly) so bad that power was temporarily granted to some talented benevolent dictators. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I can't see the pigs keeping their snouts out of the trough in the long-term.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you can't blame the guy for wanting what he was promised
it's the club's fault for guaranteeing TPAs knowing it was illegal
But they didn't guarantee it. The player contract stipulates they can't. The problem was that the club paid the money when pressured by the player, where the right thing to do (according to the TPA rules) was to tell the player it's not their responsibility.

Unfortunately at some clubs the TPA agreements always end up getting paid, and we are competing with these clubs for player talent.

If you think about it, not cheating is probably our best chance at winning the comp...provided we spend squillions on private investigators to get evidence of everyone else's dirty cheating.

I think Bart was saying that they did not do what they did for personal gain. My take is that when the last mob took over from the mob before them they discovered that the mob before them did dodgy shit that was hard to unravel.

Faced with going cap in hand to the NRL, the last mob decided (stupidly) to trade out thinking that they could wind down the dodgy deals until such time that the cap was legal. Enter the whilst-blower and the rest is history.

LOL, yes Gronky keep telling yourself that. So deluded.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why wouldn't you cheat? To win the comp you need the best team, and to do that you need to spend as much on players as the top clubs do. If you don't have legit TPAs (and we don't) then you need dodgy ones to compete.

Or you can be happy to be a mid table club, hoping to sneak into the finals each year.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm sure everyone does, except the Knights, Tigers and Titans. And now us.

Why wouldn't you cheat? To win the comp you need the best team, and to do that you need to spend as much on players as the top clubs do. If you don't have legit TPAs (and we don't) then you need dodgy ones to compete.

Or you can be happy to be a mid table club, hoping to sneak into the finals each year.

So I presume you're expecting a mid table finish for the Eels this year?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So I presume you're expecting a mid table finish for the Eels this year?
I think most teams in any given year are 'mid-table teams'. Obviously they can't all finish 8th-9th, so there will be some finishing higher and some lower. I'd say we could finish as high as fifth, but there is also a reason the punters aren't tipping us to make the eight. With some bad luck we could be fighting to avoid bottom four. To me 5th-12th is mid table. Exactly half the teams in the comp will finish in that range, and I believe most of those could have finished anywhere within that range.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think most teams in any given year are 'mid-table teams'. Obviously they can't all finish 8th-9th, so there will be some finishing higher and some lower. I'd say we could finish as high as fifth, but there is also a reason the punters aren't tipping us to make the eight. With some bad luck we could be fighting to avoid bottom four. To me 5th-12th is mid table. Exactly half the teams in the comp will finish in that range, and I believe most of those could have finished anywhere within that range.

Fair call. I think we'll finish somewhere between 5th and 15th.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fair call. I think we'll finish somewhere between 5th and 15th.
Yeah I was thinking top eight a month ago, but Norman is now carrying a hamstring injury and I was concerned at our lack of attacking ability without him in the Nines and the trials.

Who knows how many games he'll play this year?