What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
O'Connell st on the up.....and up.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2007306

35169589311_e78146296b_b.jpg

emjaycee

Coach
@Suitman where in O'Connell St is that planned for? Looks like down near the RSL?

edit: Ignore. I saw the link and realised where. Behind Westfields.

emjaycee

Coach
Sux that they are putting that there.
I was hoping to move my office into one of those units on the existing site in 2018.

Suitman

Post Whore
Sux that they are putting that there.
I was hoping to move my office into one of those units on the existing site in 2018.

Plenty more office space coming to Parra in the next few years, but why would you want to set up your office in a ghetto?
Could only be bad for business, surely?

emjaycee

Coach
Unfortunately, the company culture I have/want doesnt call for a suite in a high-rise so I will probably end up in Nth Parramatta in a terrace or heritage listed building.

Yeah, I thought about the ghetto issue, however given that most of my existing clients are planning a major presence in the Parramatta CBD and some staff have talked about moving into new, luxurious apartments in Parramatta, I don't give much credit to the ghetto theory.

Bazal

Post Whore
Plenty more office space coming to Parra in the next few years, but why would you want to set up your office in a ghetto?
Could only be bad for business, surely?

Well that depends on what your business is, surely?

Discount liquor would be especially lucrative in a ghetto....

emjaycee

Coach
Let's hope they don't put that cheap-arse flammable cladding on it, like the goverment has apparently already let happen for between 1,500 and 2, 500 buildings in Sydney...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/lond...ed-in-flammable-cladding-20170615-gwrpfu.html

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/5714477982f9b79342c70538a88984ab

But anything for progress and profits, eh? :eek:
I think the article mentions that there was a notice from the ABCB in 2016 advising of the risk and danger of that cladding. Given most of the planned Parramatta buildings are not built yet, I would suggest the chance of flammable cladding being used is reduced.

phantom eel

First Grade
I think the article mentions that there was a notice from the ABCB in 2016 advising of the risk and danger of that cladding. Given most of the planned Parramatta buildings are not built yet, I would suggest the chance of flammable cladding being used is reduced.
But the greedy developer merkins (that some here people appear to worship) will likely just find some other short cut cheap material to maximise their profits, with no responsibility taken down the track.

It's kind of like the ongoing search for new sports science supplements that aren't yet on the WADA banned list... greedy merkins wanting an advantage will always look for the shortcut, even if some people find their tower concept pictures pretty.

emjaycee

Coach
But the greedy developer merkins (that some here people appear to worship) will likely just find some other short cut cheap material to maximise their profits, with no responsibility taken down the track.

It's kind of like the ongoing search for new sports science supplements that aren't yet on the WADA banned list... greedy merkins wanting an advantage will always look for the shortcut, even if some people find their tower concept pictures pretty.

Personally I don't recall anyone here appearing to worship the developers, more so there is definitely an appreciation for the concept and design of modern, city architecture. Although not to everybody's taste, there is a certain style about it despite the perceived resultant impact on city demographics, ascetics (sp) and potential over-development.

Bazal

Post Whore
Personally I don't recall anyone here appearing to worship the developers, more so there is definitely an appreciation for the concept and design of modern, city architecture. Although not to everybody's taste, there is a certain style about it despite the perceived resultant impact on city demographics, ascetics (sp) and potential over-development.

Certainly an odd comment.

Who worships developers? I know of a tribe that worships Prince Phillip and even they would think that was silly.

phantom eel

First Grade
Personally I don't recall anyone here appearing to worship the developers, more so there is definitely an appreciation for the concept and design of modern, city architecture.
So the appreciation of the "concept and design" of proposed architecture is separate from the celebration of governments and developers who approve and turn those proposals into reality.

An interesting distinction you make... one which I don't recall anyone here stating explicity when they post the pretty pictures and cheer about the city's development? But I guess I'll let others make that call...

emjaycee

Coach
So the appreciation of the "concept and design" of proposed architecture is separate from the celebration of governments and developers who approve and turn those proposals into reality.

An interesting distinction you make... one which I don't recall anyone here stating explicity when they post the pretty pictures and cheer about the city's development? But I guess I'll let others make that call...
No, there is without doubt also an appreciation of the fact that some of these developments are proceeding and if that appreciation extends to the parties that make it happen (i.e the people putting in the money and risk (the developers) and the people approving the plans and the development (the governments), then I see that appreciation as an appreciation that we are evolving from our 1950's - 1980's style of living to a more modern and global version.

Progress is an interesting thing. Some embrace it, some accept it and some fight it.

emjaycee

Coach
And some seem to get defensive or offended when people don't agree with particular aspects of it.

Any topic that has 2 or more opposing views will always generate comments and behaviours in defence of ones preferred view.

Hell, I know some people who argue that relocating their much loved football team to a stadium they don't like attending is reason enough to deride the stadium at any opportunity. Weird some people's behaviours hey?

Suitman

Post Whore
Personally I don't recall anyone here appearing to worship the developers, more so there is definitely an appreciation for the concept and design of modern, city architecture.

Yep.
That's my fascination with what is happening in Parramatta as well.
And that only. I actually believe that Parramatta is finally evolving into a future thriving functional city in it's own right, as opposed to being the shitty outer suburban shithole that it has been for........ever.
It is finally taking on a personality of its own, developing an identity one might say.
This city (Sydney) is growing at a rate never seen before, and unless precincts like Parramatta keep up, it will be left behind.
Areas like Olympic Park, St Leonards, Macquarie Park, Norwest etc.... are all growing at phenomenal rates.
At least Parramatta and the west is having the infrastructure spending thrown at it that it finally deserves, like the future City-Parramatta Metro, Westmead - Carlingford Light Rail, M4 upgrade, West Connex, North Connex, the new Western Sydney AP, and of course, a new stadium. Billions of $ are finally being poured into an area that has been ignored for so long now. And it's the area I grew up in and love so much so of course I'm going to be passionate about development and seeing the area grow and thrive.
I feel no sympathy for hell holes like City Extra who cried poor because they couldn't keep up with a changing demographic and cried wolf and ran off as a failure, blaming everyone else bar their own lack of foresight.
Some might not like to pay for Neil Perry's or Jamie Oliver's food, or may think it is overrated, but restauranteurs like them are flooding Parramatta with alternative cuisine options. Clearly, they can see the potential and that there is a market out here for them. Why would they bother otherwise?

There is so much more that I haven't mentioned, like the huge North Parramatta precinct, or even, our very own Parramatta Leagues Club development including shopping precinct, restaurants and a multi storey hotel, right next to the Leagues Club and new stadium.
It's all more exciting than any of Twiz's announcements have ever been.