What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

T.S Quint

Coach
If you build world class stadiums people travel across the world to go. Instead of going against the stadiums if we want more people to turn up to games the NRL needs to stop having all games live on TV, people also need to bite the bullet and just turn up to games.

San Francisco 49ers had a stadium built in Santa Clara which cost $2b.
That's just for the one Stadium, not two.
And that's in American dollars.

We should be happy that we seem to be paying below market price for a stadium.
Well done NSW government!

Gronk

Staff member
Fitzsimmons was just on the ABC. When the interviewer said that the two new stadia will put $30b into the economy and allow Sydney to compete against the MCG and the new Perth stadium for existing bookings plus attract international teams which apparently dont bring their games to Australia because if the lack of quality rectangular stadiums he said - nah we don't need them. Spend the cash elsewhere. He really didn’t want to debate the issue.

In fact it did not look to me that his heart was really in the debate. Like he wrote the article half heartedly and to his surprise it took off.

strider

Post Whore
Fitzsimmons was just on the ABC. When the interviewer said that the two new stadia will put $30b into the economy and allow Sydney to compete against the MCG and the new Perth stadium for existing bookings plus attract international teams which apparently dont bring their games to Australia because if the lack of quality rectangular stadiums he said - nah we don't need them. Spend the cash elsewhere. He really didn’t want to debate the issue.

In fact it did not look to me that his heart was really in the debate. Like he wrote the article half heartedly and to his surprise it took off.
So the world cup qualifiers didnt happen? ... and games against EPL teams? ... and damn that rectangular MCG!!

Gronk

Staff member
Sydney CBD opened up overnight, giving Parramatta an insight into what their CBD with light rail will look like.

DQPTQS2UIAETeEk.jpg

DQPTQS6VwAI6dgT.jpg

DQPTQS3UQAEKYp6.jpg

DQPTQS1U8AA6Q1q.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
'Rusted and ageing': Why we need to knock down Allianz

The bicentenary was a time of optimism. Sydney was alive. The Tall Ships came into the harbour, the RBA released an edgy commemorative $10 polymer note and new public buildings were opening. Our new Parliament House was a landmark for the nation, built with vision, big enough for population expansion. Other buildings, such as the Macquarie Street wing of the State Library, opened and are still adequate today. Some were not built with the same vision. The Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre, the Monorail and the Sydney Football Stadium all fall into this category.

Remember how the Monorail was promised as the future of transport but it could only go in one direction and often broke down. Remember how cherry pickers rescuing patrons became a regular occurrence? Fortunately, the NSW government decommissioned this eyesore.

Critics of the plan to demolish and rebuild Sydney’s main sporting stadiums are hoping a petition will help scrap the plan.

In 2013, the state government closed the Sydney Convention Centre and took a bold position to build a world-class facility. Today it is a beacon of hope and economic activity constantly hosting conferences and exhibitions. We also have a state-of-the-art concert hall, grand ballroom and two wonderful smaller theatres.

Just last week the same government made another bold announcement to fix problems created in the 1980s. This time to knock down a badly dated Sydney Football Stadium and rebuild it into a world-class facility to attract the best major events and give the sporting public a facility they deserve and can be proud of – a place that every young male or female footballer can aspire to play at one day..

The 1988 stadium was built in a different era. Back then it hosted only male players, a time when your average league player was a labourer, a milkman or garbo who played footy on the weekend.

Rugby league was different back then too – when the Illawarra Steelers, North Sydney Bears and Western Suburbs Magpies were part of the NSWRL premiership. And it was an era of expansion, with Newcastle making their return to the comp in 1988 after a 79-year hiatus – joined by the Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Giants.

The people who claim the stadium is perfectly fine clearly don't attend the venue. The stadium doesn't meet modern safety standards, the venue is rusted and ageing.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

Anyone who was at the Anzac Day match in 2015 when that hailstorm hit knows too well how bad it is. Not only did the roofline mean many patrons were soaked and hit with hail, there was no space to take cover. Even in the supposed sanctuary of undercover areas many couldn't squeeze in and some floors were flooded.
1512452961097.jpg

Last week the state government decided to knock down and rebuild Allianz Stadium.
Those leaving down steep stairways felt unsafe as they squeezed out towards Driver Avenue. It's not any easier getting in. Just ask fans who missed the start of the A-League grand finals in 2013 (Wanders v Mariners) or in May this year (Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory).

The concourses should be three times wider than they are for normal conditions let alone major events. It's not safe for those who need the 28 wheelchair accessible spots who must traverse even narrower pinch points to reach disabled toilets not located near their viewing positions. And for females who like their sport, how about lining up for one of only 48 cubicles in a stadium seating 45,000.
1512452961097.jpg

An artist's impression of what the new Allianz Stadium will look like.
If you want a beer or a pie be prepared for a 20-minute wait, that means missing a quarter of the game.

There are only two change rooms designed solely for men despite the stadium playing host to the Matildas and our Olympic gold-medal winning women's seven's rugby team. I could go on, but all this only scratches the surface.
1512452961097.jpg

Allianz Stadium was built in a different era and doesn't meet modern safety standards. Photo: Peter Rae
And before being told that we can just renovate to put in more bathrooms, food outlets and other facilities I can tell you first that there simply isn't room in the current structure and second that the Trust has invested $330 million of its own funds in maintaining the SFS and the SCG over the past 30 years.

Our Trust members don't begrudge spending on schools or hospitals, they are important. But, if the government is spending $200 billion on these in the next few years then surely, it can also afford to build a new stadium to replace one which fails basic safety standards?

From 2014 to 2016, sporting events attracted 300,000 overnight visitors to Sydney and contributed more than $190 million to the local economy.

Together ANZ and Allianz stadiums attracted 3.5 million people a year across 200 events, employing 3650 people directly and supporting a further 5000 jobs. Two new world-class stadiums will create more events, more jobs.

There will always be those people who hate any spend on sporting facilities and prefer to score cheap political points.

Combined the Olympic Stadium and Football Stadium facilitate a contribution of $2 billion in economic impact each year for NSW – and that makes the investment worthwhile.

Tony Shepherd is the chairman of the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/ruste...ed-to-knock-down-allianz-20171205-gzyysk.html

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeh, I saw those pics Gronk re the light rail in the city..
Looks pretty flash, even though it's only two blocks of George St that are open so far.
If this is what PLR is going to look like or similar, it will be huge game changer for Church street etc.... and with Parramatta Town Square to be finished around the same time, and many other ongoing and future developments, the City of Parramatta will be unrecognisable from today's version.
Add to that the new stadium, and it will be a f**king thriving hub on game days.
Good times.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeh, I saw those pics Gronk re the light rail in the city..
Looks pretty flash, even though it's only two blocks of George St that are open so far.
If this is what PLR is going to look like or similar, it will be huge game changer for Church street etc.... and with Parramatta Town Square to be finished around the same time, and many other ongoing and future developments, the City of Parramatta will be unrecognisable from today's version.
Add to that the new stadium, and it will be a f**king thriving hub on game days.
Good times.
Nah Ghetto etc etc.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Chatted to someone today who works in Parramatta. Has an office that overlooks the Stadium.

He said its a great place to work. I should really pull my finger out and get down there more. No excuses when we have a shit hot Stadium.

How do we know the concrete cancer thing is real? And even if it is, does it mean the stadium is actually dangerous or will just look a bit ratty in 50 year's time? Just seems very convenient given the timing and their previous position.

Suitman

Post Whore
How do we know the concrete cancer thing is real? And even if it is, does it mean the stadium is actually dangerous or will just look a bit ratty in 50 year's time? Just seems very convenient given the timing and their previous position.

Exactly.
I've been there quite a few times over the years. Never seen any of it.
And.......I would notice it if it was that bad. The place isn't about to collapse.
Another convenient story from the Trust.

Exactly.
I've been there quite a few times over the years. Never seen any of it.
And.......I would notice it if it was that bad. The place isn't about to collapse.
Another convenient story from the Trust.
Yeah, just a coincidence I guess. I'm not against good stadiums but part of the argument being put forward is the international tourism. Is the SFS gonna hold the type of events that attract that? Surely that will be ANZ. I'm just glad we get our stadium though.

Latest posts