What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
That is the closest shot I have seen to date of construction. Any more?

Don't know mate. I'm just finding these photos from other sources. That one came from someone's twitter account who I assume works on site.
And you're right with your meccano comparison. This is why it's going up so quickly on 3 sides while the western side, while also progressing quickly, is a full construction build the height of a 5 story building.

Suitman

Post Whore
Besides re-zoned areas such as Westmead, Granville, Lidcombe, Telopea, Auburn, Baulkham Hills and Merrylands, Camellia is the next cab off the rank. Thankfully the govt has transport infrastructure plans in the planning stage or for future planning.
If there's one thing I'll give this govt, it is that they are pre planning transport for all this development.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2059643

strider

Post Whore
@strider

Hey, a rare positive opinion piece from The SMH about Sydney's transport system.
This article says everything I was trying to articulate to you the other day when we have were having the Sydney transport discussion.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-me...o-grow-for-next-40-years-20180209-p4yzth.html
Yeah cool article .... and its probably all true .... its an article entirely about a single rail corridor that is 7 years from completion and what "might" be possible in the future

it would be sensational to have all the things the dude mentions

But in reality i will be dead by the time they happen IF they happen ... my point is and has been that it takes over a decade to plan and make any single transport line happen.

Each individual line will solve a problem for that one individual area it services and help lighten the load a little in the congested city.

I think this govt is fkn awesome for doing stuff .... but doing the stuff takes a loooong time ... this govt will get the ass at some point and shit will likely slow down and or totally stop when idiots take over.

In the meantime sydneys population is booming and there are thousands more people being squeezed onto a system that already cant cope cos of piss poor planning for decades.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at it on Google maps, oddly when you cruise North up O'Conner St you can see Parra Pool then when you look left all of a sudden the pool disappears there is a construction site and the cranes building the new stadium

Suitman

Post Whore
Compliments from Jamesy

View attachment 17536

A question for @Twizzle.

I've always been amazed with stadium roofs and the cantilevers that are achieved from such a small support base at the rear of the structure.
In the photo above of the first roof truss, there are two points where the completed truss transfers it's load, yet beyond that, the cantilever is huge.
As I understand it (and as it appeared with the amount of bolt holes in the holding plates), these two load points are just bolted together.
I assume the inner support would be taking a lot of the load, so I'm thinking the outer support would have a lot of upward pressure from the weight of the large cantilever.
I assume it's all ok no doubt, but am I right in saying that the bolts have the capacity to solely support that cantilever, or are there other factors in play? Does the diagonal bracing within the truss itself transfer stresses back to the load points?

I've seen so many stadiums roofs that have cantilevers that defy belief so I'd just like to understand how it all works.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A question for @Twizzle.

I've always been amazed with stadium roofs and the cantilevers that are achieved from such a small support base at the rear of the structure.
In the photo above of the first roof truss, there are two points where the completed truss transfers it's load, yet beyond that, the cantilever is huge.
As I understand it (and as it appeared with the amount of bolt holes in the holding plates), these two load points are just bolted together.
I assume the inner support would be taking a lot of the load, so I'm thinking the outer support would have a lot of upward pressure from the weight of the large cantilever.
I assume it's all ok no doubt, but am I right in saying that the bolts have the capacity to solely support that cantilever, or are there other factors in play? Does the diagonal bracing within the truss itself transfer stresses back to the load points?

I've seen so many stadiums roofs that have cantilevers that defy belief so I'd just like to understand how it all works.

generally the bolts, although being hi tensile, are generally to locate and connect rather than support. I cant really see how they are connected from that image, sorry

the seating tier will no doubt have anchor points at the front at ground level as well which will help

Bandwagon

Staff member
A question for @Twizzle.

I'm more concerned about the idiot who decided that safety fence across the back of the roof truss served a purpose.