What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Council to assess former golf course site for new aquatic centre

Kylie Adoranti, Parramatta Advertiser
September 27, 2016 3:14pm

THE former Parramatta golf course will be assessed to determine whether it is a suitable site for the city’s new aquatic centre.

Parramatta Council will start its assessment after the timeline for the development of the project was confirmed in a memorandum of understanding between the council and the Parramatta Park Trust.

Parramatta pool, in O’Connell St, will close at the end of March to make way for the new western Sydney stadium.

This year the State Government confirmed the former golf course was a reasonable location for a new aquatic centre.

The council’s assessment of the suitability of the former golf course, also known as the Mays Hill Precinct, will form part of a pool masterplan.

Parramatta Park Trust manages the precinct and will put together the masterplan.

The council will also undertake a feasibility study and analysis of possible design options.

Parramatta Council administrator Amanda Chadwick said this was a great opportunity to develop a new aquatic centre.

She said the council was also investigating interim swimming arrangements.

“These will include Granville pool, which City of Parramatta will continue to operate on behalf of Cumberland Council until November 2019 and the refurbished Epping pool, which is now within the new Parramatta local government area.”

Ms Chadwick said the council was also looking at expanding swimming at Lake Parramatta.

“Council recognises that many people are unhappy about the closure of the current Parramatta pool and we regret any inconvenience it will cause,” she said.

“To alleviate the problem we are working hard to identify a wide range of alternative options in the short term as we plan for a new pool that will serve the needs of our growing community for the next 50 years and beyond.”

The council has allocated $50,000 for site suitability assessment and was in discussions with the government about shared funding of the development.

The Parramatta Park Trust’s Mays Hill Precinct Master Plan is due for completion next September.

North Parramatta Residents Action Group president Suzette Meade said Parramatta was losing green space by the day.

“Why is the government wasting taxpayers’ money demolishing a pool that we know can stay if the 20,000sq m of commercial development was removed from the stadium proposal?” she said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/52ba1e21b519a16240b2249b2faa6ad9

Gronk

Staff member
During my 20 years living in Carlingford and North Rocks, I have never been there.

I always thought Lake Parramatta back then was polluted and unswimmable.

Maybe an urban myth ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if they still have the rope and tyre swing that I used to swing off about 150 years ago ?

I know a good place for the diving tower, near the carpark, its pretty deep.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
During my 20 years living in Carlingford and North Rocks, I have never been there.

I always thought Lake Parramatta back then was polluted and unswimmable.

Maybe an urban myth ?

They apparently cleaned it right up a couple years ago. Not sure i'd swim there though. I've been out there on a blow up boat and saw some dirty shit.

Bazal

Post Whore
If Canberrans can swim in Lake Burley Griffin you soft hunts can swim in Lake Parramatta!

ash411

Bench
I really don't get the attachment people have to this pool. It's a cement hole with water in it. They are saying "we will build an aquatic centre" which is definitely going to be a million times better than the current option, yet they say "nah, f*ck a state of the art, millions of dollars aquatic centre, we want our old ass pool".

I just don't get it.

Gronk

Staff member
I really don't get the attachment people have to this pool. It's a cement hole with water in it. They are saying "we will build an aquatic centre" which is definitely going to be a million times better than the current option, yet they say "nah, f*ck a state of the art, millions of dollars aquatic centre, we want our old ass pool".

I just don't get it.

Agree and it's new location will be 500m away on the other side of Old Government House. In fact a far more convenient location as it will be moved from North Parramatta and much closer to Parramatta Station and the new light rail hub. Whingers.

ash411

Bench
Agree and it's new location will be 500m away on the other side of Old Government House. In fact a far more convenient location as it will be moved from North Parramatta and much closer to Parramatta Station and the new light rail hub. Whingers.
Exactly. Their argument just doesn't make sense.

They argue that "too much green space is being taken away" however, the pools themselves are made of CONCRETE! Pretty much all the land that the new stadium is going on has already been concreted, the paltry amount of grass that's there will probably still exist after the new stadium in built, via landscaping and such, but it will be nicer.

There's not one part of their argument that you can't poke a million holes in. I really hope they don't manage to delay construction of the stadium, and force the Eels to move any more home games than absolutely necessary.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if you spent many years of your youth hanging around there staring at tits and represented your school in many swimming carnivals there, you'd probably get the connection

Gronk

Staff member
if you spent many years of your youth hanging around there staring at tits and represented your school in many swimming carnivals there, you'd probably get the connection

They bitched and moaned about pulling down pool facilities in Pyrmont/ CBD (can't remember exactly where) not too long ago.

Now they have the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre.

ATDW_Large_Landscape__9198167_GF28_Ian_Thorpe_Aquatic_Centre__3_djp1mem.JPG

slir

Compare ....

WS-big-pool.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
It won't be a bad name when Harold rises from the briny deep on Sunday evening to usher in a new age of terror once the Sharks win their first grand final....

strider

Post Whore
Tbh i prefer an outdoor pool ... f**k the stadiums eyes

However if they build a swim centre with both indoor and outdoor pools then all good

Gronk

Staff member
Tbh i prefer an outdoor pool ... f**k the stadiums eyes

However if they build a swim centre with both indoor and outdoor pools then all good

Maybe they can have a button just for you so you can make the roof roll back mate ?

Hell my daughters school has a wooden floor that covers the pool when they need it for concerts.

So how about we lock in a push button roof and floor for concerts. Anything else ?

ash411

Bench
I did that at Cabramatta Pool. Couldn't give a shit if they tore that down.

So no, I don't get it. Sentimental memories and stuff are nice, but removing the building doesn't destroy those memories, they'll still be there after the concrete is gone.

Latest posts