What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

strider

Post Whore
Lightrail route announced in the ghetto

Down church street ... i thought they were hoping it'd stop directly at the leagues club/stadium, but i guess its still very close

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/premier-g...ramatta-light-rail-stops-20170217-guf6g3.html

1487295042695.jpg

Suitman

Post Whore
I know the video is a puff piece from the State Govt but some of the development along this new transport route looks very impressive. The Telopea and Camellia redevelopment plans have been out for a while now but both are a massive improvement on the residential and industrial wastelands they are now.
And gee, the stadium looks impressive in that video too.

Gronk

Staff member
I know the video is a puff piece from the State Govt but some of the development along this new transport route looks very impressive. The Telopea and Camellia redevelopment plans have been out for a while now but both are a massive improvement on the residential and industrial wastelands they are now.
And gee, the stadium looks impressive in that video too.

Wanna talk about ghettos --> Telopea

phantom eel

First Grade
So to make it affordable, they have split it into two stages ? Stage 2 is now the Olympic Park / Strathfield link.
And if I'm not mistaken, the Camelia to Carlingford bit looks like it will replace the current single-track Carlingford rail line?

#morecostsaving...intheghetto

strider

Post Whore
And if I'm not mistaken, the Camelia to Carlingford bit looks like it will replace the current single-track Carlingford rail line?

#morecostsaving...intheghetto
Yeah i was wondering that ... but the current heavy rail line continues all the way to clyde - and ppl use that to get to the city ... would they just completely do away with that heavy rail line? Surely it wouldnt run just from camelia to clyde and have to change multiple times to get to the line going to the city. Or will they expect people to backtrack to parramatta to head to the city? .... im also unsure lightrail can run on the same tracks as heavy rail - so only so much cost saving

phantom eel

First Grade
I reckon the Carlingford line is the least used/least profitable rail line in Sydney, and they've been looking for a way to shut it for ages. As it is people have to change at Clyde to use it to connect to/from the city, as I think direct trains were cut out ages ago?

So getting people to use light rail and connect from Parra (to potentially fast/express trains) is probably a similar result. And you can bet WSU will be happier their Rydalmere campus will have a direct link to Parra CBD (and also their Westmead Campus) instead of to Clyde.

Trouble is if they look to turn the existing rail corridor into the light rail track (as they have done with the old freight line for Dulwich Hill light rail) they'll have to close the heavy rail line for its construction. They're already copping some flac for the proposed six month closure of the Bankstown line in 2023 for construction of its Metro line replacement... so I guess they could soak up some more displeasure from Carlingford commuters, especially if WSU supports the eventual outcome.

Gronk

Staff member
A CHANGE of heart in the State Government means the Powerhouse Museum is not likely to move from its site in Ultimo and Parramatta may have to make do with a cut-price museum.

The set-up and build costs for a Parramatta museum are now expected to come in at around $400 million — down from $1 billion — while the Powerhouse stays in the city.

Well placed sources have told the Advertiser the government believes the public is so unhappy with taking down the current Powerhouse to sell the land to developers it has decided to can the move.

“I have heard there is a change of heart because they didn’t realise how popular the Powerhouse was or how unpopular a change would be,” one of our sources said on condition of anonymity.

“They realise it’s unpopular. Their initial idea was to sell it off and make a quid but now the idea is not so popular at all.”

Under previous Premier Mike Baird — who came up with the idea to move the museum and its contents to Parramatta — the move was definitely on but it has not gone smoothly with increasingly loud voices against the move which would see a new Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences go up on the old David Jones carpark on Parramatta’s Philip St.

It has also been suggested Parramatta Council wanted up to $100 million for the riverside site.

241ebf228d948489417d7346e3a6e5d4

Former Premier Mike Baird and Powerhouse director Dolla Merrillees examine the Parramatta site.
Since the original announcement a special state parliamentary inquiry into museums and galleries has been questioning experts about the feasibility of the move.

The inquiry heard its final witnesses last week and will report in several months’ time but it is likely the government will make an announcement soon and the consensus is the Powerhouse will stay in Ultimo.

State Opposition leader and Auburn Labor MP Luke Foley said the government had turned its back on western Sydney and he suspected the Powerhouse decision would be next on the chopping block.

“One of the first things that Premier Berejiklian did when she got the job was to dump Western Sydney as a portfolio,” he said.

“Last week she dumped light rail through Olympic Park. I fear the move of the Powerhouse to Parramatta could be the next thing to be scrapped given the shambolic way this government is behaving. It looks like western Sydney will never get the attention it deserves from this premier,” Mr Foley said.

aca36c036d96d77069f521f7a08bd9a9

The move from Ultimo to Parramatta is expected to cost upwards of $1 billion.
Greens MP David Shoebridge, the museums and galleries inquiry deputy chairman, has pushed witnesses hard to divulge details about the planned move and says he has been sceptical about the idea on several levels.

“My view is that it would be terrific to get a world class museum at Parramatta but without the loss of the Powerhouse. Something quite wonderful could be built on the site [on the river at Parramatta]. We could get something truly fabulous.”

Newly-appointed Minister for the Arts Don Harwin said the government was committed to “growing the arts and cultural sector in Western Sydney, and our commitment has not changed”.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d/news-story/2dbc7a50662906fb70ebfa2074da8484