What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen is the best player Cronulla has ever had; Flanagan

Frenzy.

Immortal
I cannot consider any player that has played First Grade for another Club as the Greatest Shark ever regardless of their contribution.

1. Gallen
2. Ettingshausen

What makes Gallen more special is that in the "modern era" of professional Rugby League he is a one club player.

Here's to Wally Gallen.

Interesting take.

Is Thirsty the greatest ever Cowboy?

Weaponhead

Coach
Sludge left when blokes weren't being paid. Can't hold that against him. Has to pay the bills.

Sludge best player
Gallen most influential

bluefox68

Staff member
I cannot consider any player that has played First Grade for another Club as the Greatest Shark ever regardless of their contribution.

1. Gallen
2. Ettingshausen

What makes Gallen more special is that in the "modern era" of professional Rugby League he is a one club player.

Here's to Wally Gallen.
Gotta agree. I'm too young to remember too much of Steve Rogers, but just old enough to remember he went to the Dragons...

fizman

Bench
When a player is being referred to as the Greatest Ever which is the highest accolade, It is my view they should be a one Club player.

I would not bestow Thurston as the Greatest Cowboy ever because he did play for Canterbury - just my thoughts.

YTSharks

Juniors
When a player is being referred to as the Greatest Ever which is the highest accolade, It is my view they should be a one Club player.

I would not bestow Thurston as the Greatest Cowboy ever because he did play for Canterbury - just my thoughts.
For me it's more of a deciding factor. That is,
Can't split Sludge or Gal? Gal because he didn't leave. Whereas I don't think anyone comes close to JT for the cowboys

carcharias

Immortal
Sludge had a go at winning one
So did ET
So did everyone else mentioned

Only one man delivered.

If that man hasn't given you blokes the greatest feeling in footy in your life then you are geniused.

I'd even say he has put in more effort by a long f**king way than any other sharks player in history.

He is the ultimate warrior

"And for all you people back in the shire...
You can turn your porch lights off because we're coming home with the trophy"!!

I rest my case.

There is no debate.
A player who was friends with everyone, was never going to be the one , to do it.
He even cracked some coaches heads.
In the end, he was right.
We owe everything to him. And so do the other players mentioned.

Quigs

Immortal
I'm a Sir Thomas of The Bishop man meself.

I have manlove for The Gal but I just loved watching Tommy showing our mob how to do it.

Sludge and his trip north of Tom Uglys tarnished it for me.

President Trump

Juniors
We must also be eternally grateful for Gallen's combination with Covell, which achieved the sacking of the hopeless Stuart Raper.

YTSharks

Juniors
You only have to look at the 2013 final where he went from dummy half to equal the score only to have Morris ruin it to show how much he puts in for the club

King Ben

Juniors
You only have to look at the 2013 final where he went from dummy half to equal the score only to have Morris ruin it to show how much he puts in for the club
I still maintain we would've rolled Souths in the Prelim had we beat Manly that game.

wibble

Bench
We gave it a good crack under trying circumstances.

Yeah, I was devastated at the time, but to go so close missing your key half was a pretty good effort.

I really gave us no chance that series, and Gallen was a large part of why we went as far as we did (the game before where we "cheated" to win, according to some deluded fans, and that game, he was a standout).

Gallen is the best forward of the modern era (except perhaps Smith, but he is really a half) and has been for a decade. He was consistently the best or one of the top 2 or 3 when he played for Australia and for NSW, and he is almost always one of the best 2 or 3 on the field at first grade level, for 300 games.

Thurston is not, and never has been as consistent as Gallen (though he is certainly more brilliant on his day), the only other modern players I'd put at his level are Slater and Smith (who are also both stupidly consistent, though Slater took a few years to warm up, Gallen and Smith were excellent from early on).

ET was an outstanding centre, and servant of the club, but nowhere near as good as Gallen as a player. Probably as influential in his time, but not as good as a player, brilliant though he was.

I only saw Rogers as a kid, and only his "bad years" (with the enemy) so my perceptions are skewed by inexperience when I think on him.

The 2016 year Gallen was brilliant as always, even though he was injured a bit, though you could argue we needed him less as everyone else stepped up (as shown by the Canberra final). But he was immense as ever in the next two games.

Obviously I am a huge fan of Gallen, but I think he is seriously under rated, despite most people acknowledging he is a great player. I don't think many actually realise how great he is. Gould's nonsense agenda has influenced many into dismissing his Origin play, and the ASADA scandal has made many think his efforts were helped by cheating.

I know a coach's job is to talk up their players, but I think Flanagan has shown he is both a good student of the game, and not one to give extreme praise all that often. I can't disagree with his claim that Gallen is the best Shark.

Special K

Coach
I think Gallen has been taken for granted. His performances are incredible. Nobody comes close to him. Everyone says how great Sludge was but for perspective he played 202 games for us, Gallen is about to hit 300. Gallen has played 32 games for Aus, 24 for NSW vs 24 and 21 for Sludge. Gallen got us our title. He also never played for the Dragons.

We need to build him a statue. Gallen is the greatest Shark on any scale you want to measure.

Foz

Bench
I think Gallen has been taken for granted. His performances are incredible. Nobody comes close to him. Everyone says how great Sludge was but for perspective he played 202 games for us, Gallen is about to hit 300. Gallen has played 32 games for Aus, 24 for NSW vs 24 and 21 for Sludge. Gallen got us our title. He also never played for the Dragons.

We need to build him a statue. Gallen is the greatest Shark on any scale you want to measure.

Didn't Et play 328 games for Cronulla About 30 tests and twenty something NSW games?Played a heap of Touring games for Australia too.Going on those figures whilst I'm not sure how exact they are he'd be close.Dont know Gal will get to 328 but he might.
Would be fitting if he did a Mark Taylor and played the same number of games.
As a player Rogers is miles in front of those two.
He won Rothmans medal Dally M Player of the year etc the other 2 didn't.
Big Gav got 2 didn't he?
Don't forget Rogers got man of the match from some media in the 11 all 1978 Grand Final where we had Pierce and Sorenson suspended and Kurt sitting on the sidelines ineligible.
There was another half a side out for the replay.

If you go on Grand Final wins Gerard Beale is better than Rogers.

Latest posts