What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green - New Zealand assistant coach

davi

Juniors
Interesting choice. I'm surprised New Zealand reached out to him, considering Paul Green knocked back the QLD job because of his Cowboys commitments.

Greens knowledge about Jonathan Thurston game is probably what New Zealand feel will give them a edge. Its one of the reasons New Zealand won the 2008 world cup because Wayne Bennett informed the Kiwis how to lock up Thurston.

"The Queensland Rugby League have given their backing for Cowboys coach Paul Green to help New Zealand in their World Cup revenge mission.

The development came as Australian coach Mal Meninga also threw his support behind Green, saying the international game needs mentors of his quality.

Maroons coach-in-waiting Green has sounded out QRL powerbrokers in the strongest sign yet he is keen to provide a winning edge to Australia's trans-Tasman enemy.

Green fielded a shock approach from New Zealand last month to be coach David Kidwell's right-hand man at the World Cup.

Kiwi legend Tawera Nikau has emerged as the conduit between Green and the NZRL, having flagged the idea with the Cowboys coach during the NRL Nines in February.

Green is excited at the challenge of helping the Kiwis but feared it might jeopardise his hopes of one day coaching Queensland.

He will be the Maroons' next coach, knocking back the chance to succeed Meninga 18 months ago due to his Cowboys commitments in a move that opened the door for Kevin Walters.

Some critics may view Green as a traitor by helping the Kiwis - Wayne Bennett copped similar brickbats for assisting New Zealand in 2008 - but the QRL has cleared it.

"I don't think it would affect me with Queensland," Green said."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11825901

Burns

First Grade
Good appointment.

The ANZAC Test will be huge to gauging where NZ are at.