What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent

gUt

Coach
I think Sterlo is the best interviewer in all RL media and the Wicks thing was great.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Sterlo is a way better interviewer. He seems to gain the trust of who he's interviewing and if they want to open up, they will to him. He treats he's interview subjects with respect and ask the right questions at the right time. Kent may ask the 'tough questions' but he will never get the most our of he's interview subjects like Sterlo can

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Thought it was a great interview, Kent would have been too busy trying to score some cheap points. At least the people Sterlo interviews have some respect for him.

TheRam

Coach
Sterlo is a way better interviewer. He seems to gain the trust of who he's interviewing and if they want to open up, they will to him. He treats he's interview subjects with respect and ask the right questions at the right time. Kent may ask the 'tough questions' but he will never get the most our of he's interview subjects like Sterlo can

Why does anyone need to ask the tough questions? If the guy doesn't want to open up about some aspects, that is his prerogative. He is a footballer who dealt drugs and did his time. Move on.

It's not like he is a politician or a corporate criminal that has destroyed thousand or even millions of live so people are looking for answer and or closure.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Why does anyone need to ask the tough questions? If the guy doesn't want to open up about some aspects, that is his prerogative. He is a footballer who dealt drugs and did his time. Move on.

It's not like he is a politician or a corporate criminal that has destroyed thousand or even millions of live so people are looking for answer and or closure.

I agree a hundred percent with you, that's why I love Sterlo's way of interviewing over most rugby league 'journalists'

undertaker

Coach

This.

Well said

undertaker

Coach
I hope Paul Kent was watching tonight's Samoa vs Tonga test, and see if he will reconsider his position about international RL being a waste of time.

hutch

First Grade
I hope Paul Kent was watching tonight's Samoa vs Tonga test, and see if he will reconsider his position about international RL being a waste of time.

He wouldn't out of spite and if he did, he would say he didn't enjoy it out of spite. Sh*t human!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/767711c0639a585c7eb6d41edbd374cb

Swans stand down Michael Talia, showing NRL and Eels how a code of conduct works

767711c0639a585c7eb6d41edbd374cb

Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
767711c0639a585c7eb6d41edbd374cb

WASTED opportunity is an eternal side story of the NRL.

It takes just a casual walk through team lists in the English Super League to identify it. Todd Carney, Tim Smith and a dozen others all play in a lesser competition because they ran out of last chances in the NRL.

Could they have been saved?

Not at the end, for sure. There will always be a question, though, that a little tough love earlier in their careers when they were young men making mistakes as we all do, but being so easily forgiven because nobody dared risk losing the faith of the player, could have made them realise the consequences if they continued.

It is always about consequences.

On Sunday night a very excellent 30 For 30 documentary, Doc and Darryl, was repeated on ESPN, telling the story of Dwight “Doc” Gooden and Darryl Strawberry. They were going to be baseball stars for a decade in the 1980s, returning the New York Mets to glory.

When they won the World Series in 1986 Mayor Ed Koch announced 2.2 million turned up for their victory parade. It was big.

Yet Gooden missed it. He was somewhere else, stoned.

“That night should have been the greatest night of my career,” Gooden says. Instead, depression set in. “The sadness, the self-pity,” he says.

“Everybody got drunk,” Strawberry says of the time, when cocaine was saturating the States, “and some got lost.”

Different country, different game, different problem ... but the documentary is almost a blueprint of every modern scandal.

Excess and no accountability.

Origin was hijacked last week by another Parramatta scandal. A capitalist with questionable qualities was trying to sell a sex tape involving Eels star Corey Norman.

Sunday, Roosters coach Trent Robinson called on the NRL to stop it.

“The NRL needs to step in and they need to make it public that you are not allowed to sell these on and we will go after the individuals that do this and that is protecting the players,” Robinson said this week.

“They had an opportunity at the start of the year and they didn’t do this, so the Players’ Association didn’t do it either.

“It is important to get on this pretty quickly ... otherwise it is going to continue.”

What capacity the NRL has to stop this is up for query. Like all law, much depends on how the video was received.

If a player films himself and sends it to mates, it becomes murky. Some argue whoever had possession was free to do with it as they like, even sell it.

There is a simpler solution, of course. Don’t do it.

Too often the game regulates to the lowest common denominator, the people trying to sell a video but not the people who filmed it.

It is time to break the cycle.

On Monday the Sydney Swans stood down defender Michael Talia after police charged him with being in possession of a quantity of a prohibited substance.

While the AFL’s drug policy is far from perfect, the Swans guard their own culture and hold it to standards above their game. It breeds accountability, which breeds success.

Compare to Parramatta, who allowed Norman to continue playing after he faced the same charge. Even after he pleaded guilty seven weeks later the Eels still wanted him to play.

The Integrity Unit wanted Norman to answer several questions in at headquarters before clearing him to play but the Eels claimed he was too busy to make the interview.

This, despite the fact Norman’s only employment is with the Eels. With his appearance dependant on it, where else did he have to be that was more important?

With the NRL refusing to budge, Parramatta stood him down rather than send him in to headquarters.

There is no better example of how the priorities are wrong in the game.

For many years the NRL has left discipline of players to the discretion of clubs with the right to come over the top if clubs sanctions are insufficient, as they did with the Eels.

Part of the reason is the Integrity Unit is the hardest working department in Australian sport and can’t keep pace with the paperwork coming across their desks.

The Eels are a fulltime job without the likes of Dylan Walker and the Brisbane extortion threat and Kirisome Auva’a and the never-ending rest of it.

But clubs have conflicts. Incidents are measured against such arbitrary factors as how valuable he is to making the finals, the depth in his position, how much of a fit he is at the club.

So there is injustice.

Maybe the NRL needs to expand funding and create a regulatory tribunal to sit across all incidents, an off-field version of the judiciary. It should introduce minimum penalties, like they do in the NFL, but not mandatory. The difference is key.

Years ago Jack Gibson was asked about player behaviour and, given his reputation for fairness, his questioner assumed Gibson treated all players equally.

“You don’t treat them equal,” he snorted. “You treat them consistently.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
just f**k off and follow AFL you wanker

reminds me of this old article of his

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ing-sydney-swans/story-e6frexnr-1226486173054

NRL a distant second to the soaring Sydney Swans
  • Paul Kent
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • October 02, 2012 12:00AM

I HAVE watched the Swans live only four times, but any time soon I expect my life membership to arrive in the mail.

The Swans, it seems, can't afford to do without me.

The first time I watched was 1996, a preliminary final at the SCG which most of you will remember was the night Tony Lockett kicked that after-the-siren behind to steer the Swans into their first grand final since moving to Sydney.

It is still regarded as one of the greatest wins in the club's history.

I didn't go to the grand final the following week, expenses being what they were, and they lost.

The second time was in 2005, when confidence was everywhere that their time was now and so I was there to see them beat West Coast by four in the Grand Final.

Up to then it was the club's greatest win.

The third was 11 days ago, another preliminary final, when the boss heard of my once-a-decade good fortune visited upon them and absolutely insisted I go to the Collingwood final, which they naturally won.

The fourth was Saturday, against raging favourites Hawthorn, when what else could they do but keep the streak alive and win only their second grand final.

As good sporting streaks go, I'd prefer it to be the Melbourne Cup, but so long as they don't start rubbing me for luck before games then being the Swans' talisman isn't all bad news.

For one, Saturday's AFL Grand Final was one of the great contests seen on a football field, an absolute pleasure to watch.

It was a clear points winner over Sunday's NRL decider.

The NRL has serious problems in its game, which it took the Swans victory over Hawthorn to highlight.

The Swans looked gone at the end of the first quarter.

They played nervously the entire first 30 minutes and stayed in the game through a combination of dogged defence and poor accuracy from the Hawks, until Hawthorn kicked clear with three late goals to lead 4-5 (29) to 1-4 (10).

Then came quarter-time, and something special.

Raising their commitment to defence -- nothing but an effort play -- the Swans played their way back into the game by attacking when Hawthorn had the ball.

They went after the Hawks, and their commitment changed the game.

The Bulldogs tackled just as gamely in the NRL, but the rules are such now that once the momentum starts to swing against a team it is like batting back an avalanche with a tennis racquet.

Craig Bellamy acknowledged as much after the game, saying Canterbury used up so much juice during that period it dulled their attack when possession eventually turned their way.

The NRL's concern should be, though, that the Dogs did everything they could have been asked to do but got no reward for their effort.

Once a team establishes dominance under current NRL rules, they win the game.

Because the opposition can't get a crack with the ball, it is virtually impossible to fight your way back into the game.

In past days, defending teams could win the ball against the feed in a scrum, or steal it from a loose carry, or rake it back in the play-the-ball to even the share of possession.

They're either discouraged or illegal under modern rules.

Not so in the AFL, where turnovers are many, and the game benefits because of it.

Saturday's Grand Final ebbed and flowed, rising with the efforts of the players, until the bravery of the Swans won through.

The Bulldogs got no reward for their bravery. They had no option but to soak up tackle after tackle, and no opportunity to take back the ball and fight their way back.

When a team is near perfect, the game is over. And as the weekend proved, so is the spectacle.

Throughout this whole NRL finals series, an anticlimactic series despite the applause for teams one and two winning through to the decider, not a single team fought its way back to win once they lost the early grind.

NRL grand finals were always famous for two teams punching themselves to a standstill, the bravest left standing.

Now it is about completions.

The AFL is where it's at now.

Latest posts