What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughan Extended to 2021!

Bench
I hope his next contract will enable him to buy some dragons shorts for gym work.
Fancy wearing raiders shorts at the gym

Frank Facer

First Grade
Who mentioned doust?
But... seeing as you bought it up, the answer is doust is starting to look pretty good.
Stars locked in... team coming 2nd..
Things are looking pretty good under his watch ;-)
Jack Gibson once said that winning starts at the Front office. Doust should have been sacked years ago, he never should have even got the job in the first place. This is the same Doust who in 2012 referred to Dan Hunt, Brett Morris and Jason Nightingale as marquee re-signings. They were our marquee players, on big money. I didn't believe it at the time either. You don't have marquee players as wingers and Dan Hunt was never a decent starting prop ever, let alone a marquee prop. That BTW contributed to our salary cap problems.

As for team coming second. We were leading the comp about this time 2 years ago too. We made the semi's once in the last 5 years. The problem is that Doust still does not looked to have got us to a competitive position regarding 3rd party payments. We still can not compete with the likes of Easts, Canterbury and Brisbane off the field. Doust has now had many years to sort this problem out, but has failed to do so. We were not even mentioned as a club in contention for Tedesco's signature and that is with Dugan unsigned and on 850K a season right now. If Doust had MANAGED to get Tedesco's signature, then I would say that Doust is starting to look pretty good. I still say that Doust should be sacked.

possm

Coach
Who mentioned doust?
But... seeing as you bought it up, the answer is doust is starting to look pretty good.
Stars locked in... team coming 2nd..
Things are looking pretty good under his watch ;-)
Short term gain often leads to long term pain.

Doust, Millward and Mary are hiding behind success derived off the back of our forward pack. If/once the forwards become injured and/or tired, the team will flounder.

In addition, fancy going into the 2017 season with only one first grade player in the halves. We could have signed any one of the multitude of off-contract halves on a 1 year deal, by not signing Nona and McCrone for 2017.

The Doc

Juniors
Jack Gibson once said that winning starts at the Front office. Doust should have been sacked years ago, he never should have even got the job in the first place. This is the same Doust who in 2012 referred to Dan Hunt, Brett Morris and Jason Nightingale as marquee re-signings. They were our marquee players, on big money. I didn't believe it at the time either. You don't have marquee players as wingers and Dan Hunt was never a decent starting prop ever, let alone a marquee prop. That BTW contributed to our salary cap problems.

As for team coming second. We were leading the comp about this time 2 years ago too. We made the semi's once in the last 5 years. The problem is that Doust still does not looked to have got us to a competitive position regarding 3rd party payments. We still can not compete with the likes of Easts, Canterbury and Brisbane off the field. Doust has now had many years to sort this problem out, but has failed to do so. We were not even mentioned as a club in contention for Tedesco's signature and that is with Dugan unsigned and on 850K a season right now. If Doust had MANAGED to get Tedesco's signature, then I would say that Doust is starting to look pretty good. I still say that Doust should be sacked.
Mate.... the original post i put up had absolutely nothing to do with doust.
He wasnt mentioned or talked about.
YOU bought up dousts name.
I gave my response.
I was never a big fan of dousts or marys... but unlike many on here, ileave the back office stuff out of my love for the team.
If im not able to orchastrate anything to remove or change the back office stuff... then i dont let it consume me.
You mention 2 years ago... i mention this year.
Im not hiding from the events of the last 5 years... or covering them up... or sticking up for those responsible.
Im supporting my team.
But people like to twist shit around and mention names to de rail a topic of conversation.
One last thing... your obviously a big tedesco fan... thats your opinion.
I wouldnt trade Dugan for tedesco.
Tedescos defence is pathetic.
If we lost dugan for the simple fact that we wanted to sign tedesco... id be dirty at management.
Imo, dugan is the best FB option available atm.
Enjoy 2017 champion... stop worrying about the past.
Something funny? Please tell me what i said that is so amusing?
Keeping in mind my original post had no mention of doust or relevance to him.
Are we not signing the players? Are we not coming 2nd?
Time to wake up to yourself... waiting for one remark to jump on with a LOL...
Good contribution yet again champion ;-)
Short term gain often leads to long term pain.

Doust, Millward and Mary are hiding behind success derived off the back of our forward pack. If/once the forwards become injured and/or tired, the team will flounder.

In addition, fancy going into the 2017 season with only one first grade player in the halves. We could have signed any one of the multitude of off-contract halves on a 1 year deal, by not signing Nona and McCrone for 2017.
Possm.... please stop mate.
If this happens... if that happens... bla bla bla....
Its rugby league... injuries happen... theres a salary cap that restricts you from having the australian team as your starting 13 and kiwi team as your nsw cup team!!!.
So much negativity over "what ifs"...
What halfback could we have signed last year?
Please tell me a halfback that was available that was a solid excellent first grade halfback?
We stuck with McCrone and Nona and Mann as back ups along with the emergence of Jai Field.
They havnt been up to scratch? Oh well, its a gamble mate.
And ps... McCrone (who i have been a critic of) hasnt played all to badly.
You need to relax with the constant attacks on recruitment mate.
Your sounding like Vas towards widdop.
Iv read alot of your posts and your WAY above this mate.
We are finally going in the right direction... on the field at least... we are signing and re-signing players...
Lets start supporting the team without being side tracked into negativity regarding things that dont concern the actually team and players.
I saw a tweet where a fan asked a player if the player was also pissed at management...
Like WTF??? Really??? Instead of tweeting the player "mate well done teams going great" this is what its getting too?
Your a smart man possm... revert back to the great posts you contribute instead of this constant attacks on recruitment buddy.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Mate.... the original post i put up had absolutely nothing to do with doust.
He wasnt mentioned or talked about.
YOU bought up dousts name.
I gave my response.
I was never a big fan of dousts or marys... but unlike many on here, ileave the back office stuff out of my love for the team.
If im not able to orchastrate anything to remove or change the back office stuff... then i dont let it consume me.
You mention 2 years ago... i mention this year.
Im not hiding from the events of the last 5 years... or covering them up... or sticking up for those responsible.
Im supporting my team.
But people like to twist shit around and mention names to de rail a topic of conversation.
One last thing... your obviously a big tedesco fan... thats your opinion.
I wouldnt trade Dugan for tedesco.
Tedescos defence is pathetic.
If we lost dugan for the simple fact that we wanted to sign tedesco... id be dirty at management.
Imo, dugan is the best FB option available atm.
Enjoy 2017 champion... stop worrying about the past.

Something funny? Please tell me what i said that is so amusing?
Keeping in mind my original post had no mention of doust or relevance to him.
Are we not signing the players? Are we not coming 2nd?
Time to wake up to yourself... waiting for one remark to jump on with a LOL...
Good contribution yet again champion ;-)

Possm.... please stop mate.
If this happens... if that happens... bla bla bla....
Its rugby league... injuries happen... theres a salary cap that restricts you from having the australian team as your starting 13 and kiwi team as your nsw cup team!!!.
So much negativity over "what ifs"...
What halfback could we have signed last year?
Please tell me a halfback that was available that was a solid excellent first grade halfback?
We stuck with McCrone and Nona and Mann as back ups along with the emergence of Jai Field.
They havnt been up to scratch? Oh well, its a gamble mate.
And ps... McCrone (who i have been a critic of) hasnt played all to badly.
You need to relax with the constant attacks on recruitment mate.
Your sounding like Vas towards widdop.
Iv read alot of your posts and your WAY above this mate.
We are finally going in the right direction... on the field at least... we are signing and re-signing players...
Lets start supporting the team without being side tracked into negativity regarding things that dont concern the actually team and players.
I saw a tweet where a fan asked a player if the player was also pissed at management...
Like WTF??? Really??? Instead of tweeting the player "mate well done teams going great" this is what its getting too?
Your a smart man possm... revert back to the great posts you contribute instead of this constant attacks on recruitment buddy.

The notion that Doust is "starting to look pretty good" one third of the way into this season is hilarious. I actually assumed you were being sarcastic. I forgot how short sighted you are. My bad.

The Doc

Juniors
The notion that Doust is "starting to look pretty good" one third of the way into this season is hilarious. I actually assumed you were being sarcastic. I forgot how short sighted you are. My bad.
Yeh sorry mate... ill keep on hating on people because of past mistakes.
While your at it, dont forget the other short sided people that have seen the change in dugan after being such a social media dick...
And the ones that have seen the change in Russell Packer....
Lets all be like you and not celebrate the teams accomplishments this year because we would rather sook about 2 and 3 and 4 years ago.
Well done... keep holding onto the past and letting it consume you buddy....
Some of us cant join you cause we are too busy enjoying the present.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons may make the final eight
this year but they have little depth and competition for positions.The NSW Cup side is a basket case and there are no Under 20's players who could play NRL in the next two years. Dodd, Glymin, Hutchison and Matthews will probably all be unavailable this year which especially affects our backline depth and if we lose De Belin, Vaughan and Frizell to State of Origin we will have a soft forward pack. Millward needs to significantly increase our depth as the verdict on Dufty, Field, Hutchison, Leilua, Nona, Isaac Thompson and others is still out and FaiFai Loa, Marketo and Matthews fall far short of NRL standard.

Saintsified

Bench
Not with McGregor in charge.
egg-on-face.jpg

happened to a few of us so far, its gonna happen to you

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Yeh sorry mate... ill keep on hating on people because of past mistakes.
While your at it, dont forget the other short sided people that have seen the change in dugan after being such a social media dick...
And the ones that have seen the change in Russell Packer....
Lets all be like you and not celebrate the teams accomplishments this year because we would rather sook about 2 and 3 and 4 years ago.
Well done... keep holding onto the past and letting it consume you buddy....
Some of us cant join you cause we are too busy enjoying the present.

Where have I sooked about "2 and 3 and 4 years ago"? I'm simply highlighting the fact that Peter Doust's record as CEO has been poor (and stretches back much further than "2 and 3 and 4 years ago") and the fact the team has won 6 from 8 games so far does not absolve him from that.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. The club is $6.6million dollars in debt, but that's ok because we've won 6 games so far. Well done, Peter Doust. How blissful your life must be (until someone challenges you on an internet forum and you descend into a hilarious meltdown).

And if you pulled your head out of your ass for 2 seconds I've posted many times on here enjoying the team's success so far and praising the efforts of our players. Unlike you I am able to understand that the team's success isn't the only measure of Doust's performance.

The Doc

Juniors
The Dragons may make the final eight
this year but they have little depth and competition for positions.The NSW Cup side is a basket case and there are no Under 20's players who could play NRL in the next two years. Dodd, Glymin, Hutchison and Matthews will probably all be unavailable this year which especially affects our backline depth and if we lose De Belin, Vaughan and Frizell to State of Origin we will have a soft forward pack. Millward needs to significantly increase our depth as the verdict on Dufty, Field, Hutchison, Leilua, Nona, Isaac Thompson and others is still out and FaiFai Loa, Marketo and Matthews fall far short of NRL standard.
I dont know Dragon Revival.
I cant see JDB and Vaughan making the SOO team.
They deserve a shot without doubt but i cant see Daley picking them.
At worst id say Frizz and Dugan will get picked.
We can cover frizz for a game or 2 and same with dugan (as we did with nighty).
If Daley ballsed up and picked a team on form then you may be right, i just cant see Daley making that many changes up front.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Hopefully Daley will only select Frizell as he picks on the basis of jobs for the boys most of whom are out of form, sons of his mates or over the hill.

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughan-p-190328_jo_1a2498.jpg

DRAGONS

Vaughan ups Origin ante by taking down Pangai
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 31 Mar 2019, 09:58 AM
gouldjoe-head.png

Dragons prop Paul Vaughan had a personal mission to get one over the young Brisbane forwards and make a compelling case to retain his hard-earned NSW Blues jersey.

Vaughan was dominant in the 25-24 win over Brisbane with his 189 running metres and 38 tackles. It was his powerhouse starts to both halves that gave his pack the ascendancy over NSW Blues hopeful Tevita Pangai jnr and young Maroons contenders Joe Ofahengaue, Jaydn Su'A and David Fifita.

The 27-year-old former Raider was aware of the hype around his rival pack during the week and challenged himself to get one up on them.

"It is one of those things that keeps you honest as a footballer. Each week that is what I love about rugby league: the challenge with yourself and against other teams," Vaughan told NRL.com.

"Football can be a pretty humbling thing at times. One week you can have a great game and the next week you can get humbled, but because of the competitive nature that I have I want to be the best forward and the best player out there.

“We knew we had a tough job ahead of us against Brisbane after their forwards got massive wraps last week.

McGregor: Dufty can step up for Widdop

"It was a big match-up for me personally because a couple of their young fellas coming through have got intentions of playing rep football. I got my first taste last year, so I wanted to play well and set a good platform for the team."

Vaughan grinned when it was put to him that Pangai was one of the forwards in contention for a Blues middle forward gig. He admires the progress made by the Broncos wrecking ball, but has no intention of letting his former Raiders teammate take his jersey.

"It is a credit to Tevita. I was down at Canberra with him and I have known for a long time that as soon as he got his crack he was going to be a great player," Vaughan said.

"He has come a long way. I have a lot of respect for Tevita … but I am pretty passionate about getting an Origin jersey again. It is a long way away, so first and foremost it is about getting Saints off to go a good start."

Vaughan said he relished the way coach Paul McGregor used him against Brisbane.

"I was going for the first 20 minutes and last 10 of each half and that suits me," he said.

"I knew there was a great challenge for me and I’m pretty happy with my performance. I got through a lot of minutes and a lot of work.

"Our forwards for the last three weeks have done a pretty good job starting and setting the platform, but for the first two games we fell apart in the second half.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons

"This week we hung strong and it was a great team effort against a young and powerful pack."

The Dragons will be without Test forward Tyson Frizell indefinitely with a lacerated testicle and Vaughan said it was vital to continue to win without him, starting with the trip to Newcastle next Sunday.

"Tyson is a huge loss for us. He’s been playing representative football for a long time and is a freak…so when he comes back it is going to help us massively," Vaughan said.

"The important thing now is that we can get some more wins and put ourselves in a good position because when he comes back we will be a better team."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/31/vaughan-ups-origin-ante-by-taking-down-pangai/

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp_1nh_0534.jpg

STATS

Vaughan thriving on extra minutes in revamped rotation
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 16 Apr 2019, 01:53 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan believes the extra on-field responsibility in a depleted Dragons forward pack has resulted in him playing the best football of his career.

Vaughan, who was a member of last year’s successful NSW State of Origin team, has been playing up to 62 minutes per match for St George Illawarra in the opening five rounds this season in the absence of Jack de Belin, Korbin Sims and Tyson Frizell.

In comparison, he averaged 48 minutes per match for the Dragons last season.

"I think the biggest doubt was my fitness and how I was going to go because I had a modified pre-season but it has worked out to be great," Vaughan said.

"I've been playing 60 minutes each week. We needed the forward pack to stand up and I am trying to play the best footy I can for the team. I think I am playing the best footy I have played so far so I am pretty happy about that."

With the Dragons losing momentum just before halftime in their losses to North Queensland and South Sydney, St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has changed his forward rotation so that Vaughan and English prop James Graham aren't off the field at the same time.

stat-attack---paul-vaughan_20190416.jpg

After playing the opening 20 minutes, Vaughan is given a 10-minute break before returning. He again starts after the interval and plays a further 10 minutes before having another 10-minute break and returning to finish the match.

"Mary has got me doing a rotation at the moment where I am really benefitting from playing the first 20 minutes, then 10 minutes either side of halftime and the last 20 minutes," Vaughan said.

"I am getting a rest at halftime and then I am starting again in the second half because we had a little bit of inexperience in the first couple of games and we were a little bit shaky at the start of the second half."

Since the start of the season, Vaughan’s time on the field has gradually increased from 54 minutes against the Cowboys, 56 minutes against the Rabbitohs, 61 minutes in the 25-24 round 3 defeat of the Broncos and 62 minutes in last week's 13-12 win over Newcastle.

An ankle injury prevented him from returning for his third stint in last Sunday's 40-4 defeat of Canterbury but he's confident of being fit for Saturday night’s clash with Manly at WIN Stadium and said he was enjoying the added responsibility.

"It is an opportunity and a challenge I have to put upon myself to stand up," he said. "We've got James Graham there and Blake Lawrie is going really well at the moment too."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/16/vaughan-thriving-on-extra-minutes-in-revamped-rotation/