What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughn ripped

Frank Facer

First Grade
I wish that wre true but given that we had good representation in the 2011 SOO series and before the series bookies were paying out bets for us to win the minor premiership, the end results speak for themselves.
Most teams that win the comp have over 6 or more fully fledged rep players in their teams, the end results speak for them selves. Please name the NRL teams who have won a comp with 3 or less fully fledged rep players?

As for 2011, that was extraordinary how we went from the best team in the comp to hardly being able to win a game. That also coincided with Bennett signing for Newcastle mid season. I will also add that when the Bennett was asked what was wrong with us when we were losing in 2011, the Supercoach and greatest coach of all time too many, said that he did not have an answer. How many people remember Bennett saying that?

Gareth67

First Grade
Most teams that win the comp have over 6 or more fully fledged rep players in their teams, the end results speak for them selves. Please name the NRL teams who have won a comp with 3 or less fully fledged rep players?

As for 2011, that was extraordinary how we went from the best team in the comp to hardly being able to win a game. That also coincided with Bennett signing for Newcastle mid season. I will also add that when the Bennett was asked what was wrong with us when we were losing in 2011, the Supercoach and greatest coach of all time too many, said that he did not have an answer. How many people remember Bennett saying that?

Frank , in 2011 the Dragons had too many players picked for the origin series , either 8 or 10 i cannot recall which . But that , imo was the main reason we never took out back to back premierships , as Ricky Stuart's selections ruin our chances .

In saying that we still went to the qualifying semi that season , only to lose by a Darren Lockeyer field goal. Not too bad considering that we lost so many of our first grade squad for the S.O.O duties .

What I do remember is Wayne Bennett pulling a player from one of the Dragons feeder clubs to play 1st grade because we were so short of players . It was the absolute disruption to the team by the origin series that caused the Dragons fall from grace that year .

Uplifting

Juniors
Vaughan doesn’t get the raps her deserves. It’s as if coaches, he himself, etc a worried if they acknowledged his ability that it would somehow go against promoting the importance of a team effort. This isn’t good. If someone has a blinder it needs to be said, players are professional enough to take compliments.

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan says Graham is responsible for career best form
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Mon 19 Mar 2018, 06:24 PM

St George Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan says James Graham's immediate influence at the Dragons has lifted his own form into the best he's enjoyed during his career.

A powerhouse Dragons forward pack has played a significant role in their victories over the Brisbane Broncos and Cronulla Sharks to start the Telstra Premiership season.

Vaughan was acknowledged for his breakthrough 2017 season with the Dragons, one that put him on the verge of State of Origin selection.

Vaughan says Graham's influence has already taken his own game to new heights.

"I'm playing the best footy that I have since I've moved to the Dragons," he said.

"I think we [Vaughan and Graham] are complementing each other pretty well at the moment. He is a very energetic player and he does all the one percenters well, whereas I can sort of learn to do that a little bit better.

"Communication is another thing that he's really big on. When I get fatigued, my communication isn't that great; I don't really talk a whole lot where I probably should be, so I've learnt to do that a bit better as well."

vaughanp-18031551.jpg

Vaughan still has his sights set on an Origin jersey, and with the backing of coach Paul McGregor and his side performing well, that opportunity is at arm's length.

"Within myself, I know the kind of football I can play and the coach has given me every opportunity to do that. He's given me a lot of minutes and he's been unreal for my game because he has a lot of confidence in me," he said.

"As a team, if we're performing week in and week out playing good footy, it gives everyone in the team the chance to play those representative games.

"I just want to be consistently playing well week in and week out."

With the Dragons riding high after two wins, Vaughan said maintaining consistency would be the focus heading into their clash with the Gold Coast Titans in Toowoomba on Sunday.

"With video today, there was a big emphasis on being consistent," he said.

"It's a funny word, everyone throws it around but if you get it throughout the season, it’s obviously going to be very beneficially for you.''

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/19...ames-graham-responsible-for-career-best-form/

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan rises from NSW Origin ashes
16x9_small

The NSW Origin chances of the Dragons' Paul Vaughan continue to grow but Matt Lodge is ruled out. (AAP)

Paul Vaughan continues to shine at St George Illawarra as other NSW contenders fall around him, including Matt Lodge being ruled out by coach Brad Fittler.

Updated Updated 7 hours ago

Paul Vaughan's NSW State of Origin stocks continue to rise but Blues coach Brad Fittler has ruled out selecting controversial Brisbane forward Matt Lodge.

Fittler's previously long list of forward options have been reduced in the past week.

Prop Andrew Fifita has ruled himself out of Blues contention in favour of representing Tonga, while Kangaroos front-rower Jordan McLean has been robbed of a debut after being sidelined for three months following foot surgery.

Fittler must at least add one member to last year's middle, which included Aaron Woods, David Klemmer, Tyson Frizell and Jake Trbojevic in all three games.

Vaughan, meanwhile, is holding strong at the table-topping St George Illawarra.

Considered unlucky to miss selection last year, Vaughan was told by then NSW coach Laurie Daley he needed to be consistent for longer.

Few could argue he hasn't done that.

In his first year after being dropped to reserve grade at Canberra in 2016, the 26-year-old ended 2017 as the Dragons' best forward.

He finished with 10 linebreaks and has backed that up in 2018 to help set the tone for the Dragons' exciting attacking model.

Crucially, his defensive workload for minutes played has increased significantly since arriving at the Dragons, while still tackling at 94 per cent efficiency.

"It's something I've always got to work on and have had to since I got into first grade," Vaughan told AAP.

"Attack I can definitely still work on but to get to where I was playing last year it's just about fitness and in defence.

"I've definitely grown legs since coming to the Saints."

Fittler has never previously worked with Vaughan and only met him for the first time in March but he likes what he sees.

"He's big and fast," Fittler said.

"With St George Illawarra playing well and a few Sydney teams that's made me feel a lot more confident about a lot of our positions."

Fittler said he wouldn't be tempted into selecting 22-year-old Lodge, who was this year backed by Brisbane captain Darius Boyd to play Origin despite having fewer than 20 NRL games to his name.

"I don't think I'd consider him," Fittler said.

"His form has been really good but it's his first year back in three years and I don't think it would be fair to him.

"I think we'll let him concentrate on playing for Brisbane and getting his life back into some sort of normality."

Source: AAP

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan path clear for Origin breakthrough

Scott Bailey and Melissa Woods
AAP / 4:03pm AEST
Paul Vaughan's NSW State of Origin stocks continue to rise but Blues coach Brad Fittler has ruled out selecting controversial Brisbane forward Matt Lodge.

Fittler's previously long list of forward options have been reduced in the past week.

Prop Andrew Fifita has ruled himself out of Blues contention in favour of representing Tonga, while Kangaroos front-rower Jordan McLean has been robbed of a debut after being sidelined for three months following foot surgery.

Fittler must at least add one member to last year's middle, which included Aaron Woods, David Klemmer, Tyson Frizell and Jake Trbojevic in all three games.

Vaughan, meanwhile, is holding strong at the table-topping St George Illawarra.

Considered unlucky to miss selection last year, Vaughan was told by then NSW coach Laurie Daley he needed to be consistent for longer.

Few could argue he hasn't done that.

In his first year after being dropped to reserve grade at Canberra in 2016, the 26-year-old ended 2017 as the Dragons' best forward.

He finished with 10 linebreaks and has backed that up in 2018 to help set the tone for the Dragons' exciting attacking model.

Crucially, his defensive workload for minutes played has increased significantly since arriving at the Dragons, while still tackling at 94 per cent efficiency.

5ac47455693ff_876vaughan.jpg

Vaughan has been crucial to the Dragons' success. Pic: Getty

"It's something I've always got to work on and have had to since I got into first grade," Vaughan told AAP.

"Attack I can definitely still work on but to get to where I was playing last year it's just about fitness and in defence.

"I've definitely grown legs since coming to the Saints."

Fittler has never previously worked with Vaughan and only met him for the first time in March but he likes what he sees.

"He's big and fast," Fittler said.

"With St George Illawarra playing well and a few Sydney teams that's made me feel a lot more confident about a lot of our positions."

Fittler said he wouldn't be tempted into selecting 22-year-old Lodge, who was this year backed by Brisbane captain Darius Boyd to play Origin despite having fewer than 20 NRL games to his name.

"I don't think I'd consider him," Fittler said.

"His form has been really good but it's his first year back in three years and I don't think it would be fair to him.

"I think we'll let him concentrate on playing for Brisbane and getting his life back into some sort of normality."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...s-prop-on-clear-path-for-origin-breakthrough/

RufusRex

Post Whore
Totally agree! Vaughan & Cambell-Gillard should be certainties if NSW are serious. Woods please NO!

Hard players pls ... Yes to Jack/Vaughan/RCG ... no to Jake/Josh/Woods ...

I mean look at the dogs this season ... you cannot seriously think that half the NSW starting pack is going to come form a team sitting in 14th spot ...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Hard players pls ... Yes to Jack/Vaughan/RCG ... no to Jake/Josh/Woods ...

I mean look at the dogs this season ... you cannot seriously think that half the NSW starting pack is going to come form a team sitting in 14th spot ...

Bozo is finally gone.

Freddy will get it right.

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan and Nicholls square off in unfamiliar territory
Send via Email
Paul Vaughan and Mark Nicholls had a gentlemen's agreement during the Charity Shield that they would look after each other despite one wearing the Red V and the other donned in cardinal and myrtle.

Any such arrangement has been thrown out the window for Friday's clash between St George Illawarra and South Sydney, which marks the first time the old Canberra pals have opposed each other in an NRL match.

"I sent him a message a week before [the Charity Shield], just saying 'gentlemen's agreement, we'll take it easy on each other, it was pretty cool coming up against him," Dragons prop Vaughan said.

"I don't think [there's an agreement] now that we're in full NRL competition."

The pair haven't spoken this week, but plan to catch up after Friday's game .

Much water has passed under the bridge since Vaughan and Nicholls first met each other during high school, while they were working their way through the lower grades at the Canberra Raiders together and playing club football alongside each other at the Gungahlin Bulls.

Vaughan was a Canberra product who never experienced higher representative honours as a junior, while Nicholls was a strapping fitness fanatic from the Riverina town of Leeton and was always one of the most highly regarded young forwards in the country.

"I looked up to him a little bit," Vaughan said.

"He went through Junior Kangaroos and all NSW [junior teams] and I didn't do that when I was younger. He had all the junior rep teams down pat, which I wasn't fortunate enough to be a part of.

"He started out in the back row actually, he was a pretty good back-rower when we started coming through Canberra, had a massive work-rate, obviously a very good defender and his attack was pretty good, too.

"Back in SG Ball [under 18s] I tried to do the same sort of work-rate that he did. His stats were always very good, he's always been a class player."

Nicholls and Vaughan have stayed close off the field since parting ways at Canberra, and the pair caught up earlier this year for former Raiders teammate Jarrad Kennedy's engagement party.

Making his mark: Nicholls hits the ball up for South Sydney.

Photo: NRL Photos
Vaughan also had Nicholls and his parents around for dinner in Wollongong a couple of weeks ago.

But Friday's blockbuster at Jubilee Oval is new territory for the duo who have played so much football alongside each other.

Nicholls was the first to leave the Raiders, departing for Melbourne at the end of 2015.

He missed his first season in purple injured, but managed nine games from the bench last year before fielding a phone call from Souths coach Anthony Seibold and moving to Redfern. Those nine games at the Storm didn't include the round nine clash against Vaughan's Dragons.

Vaughan left the Raiders a year after Nicholls to join St George Illawarra for three years, and has emerged as one of the competition's leading props and a potential bolter for Brad Fittler's Blues later this year.

"He had a fantastic year [in 2017], he was in calculations for Origin, they were talking about him anyway," Nicholls said.

"We came through the grades together and had a similar story, we were always fighting for the same position or sharing the position which was good.

"You can draw inspiration from players like that, that have changed clubs and went on to bigger and better things."

As fate would have it, Nicholls looks set to start again on Friday after reg

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...-in-unfamiliar-territory-20180405-p4z7uv.html

Latest posts