What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payten a tiger for 2 years

oro

Juniors
It would be good to sign a player one day who actually wants to play with the club, not because he was forced out of his existing the club by a salary cap shortfall. :D

Once Dead

Bench
oro said:
It would be good to sign a player one day who actually wants to play with the club, not because he was forced out of his existing the club by a salary cap shortfall. :D

At least he's a forward!.....lol

Spike

First Grade
He maybe a prop but even the tigers could of done better. IMO he's a very average player, playing in a very good team. Sargent would be a better prospect. On the upside at least the tigers didn't get Matt Kennedy :D

BJ

Juniors
i think he will be a good buy.. with skando and payten starting.. and the laffranchistein off the bench our forward pack looks pretty solid..
payten has a passing game which will also benefit us..
i'm pretty pleased with our buys.. topped off buy a good buy with a payten as prop.. 2004 will be very exciting..

Tigerpete

Juniors
I actually rate this signing as out most cruicial yet. Take a look at all the props on the market now????? Not may quality ones is there and even Payton only really came on over the weekend. So really this is a bonus signing for us and a reason why its not always good to rush into things....WELL DONE TIGERS!!

Blocker Shaw

Juniors
i sort of agree with you there pete. i thought it was vital that we signed at least one prop with frist grade experience. looking at the market there aren't really any better props out there than payten that we could have got.

however i've never really rated him much as a prop. ive always considered him to be a bit of a skandi immitator (in that he's big, slow and doesn't hit the line hard enough to make the big metres. sure enough looking through some back issues of big league when i check his stats im seeing numbers like 14 hitups for something like 68 metres or figures and other figures that are quite similar.

i rate props on their ability to make around 8-10 metres of each hit up and at least 100m made every game. all the top props do this fairly consistently. skando can hardly be said to make 8-10 m per hitup, and for mine payten cant either. still they should both be coming into their primes over the next year or two and could both be top props. all they need is aggresion, consistency and some luck.

but he should be decent, and allow the younger props more time to prepare themsleves for the top grade.

White Tiger

Juniors
Blocker Shaw said:
i sort of agree with you there pete. i thought it was vital that we signed at least one prop with frist grade experience. looking at the market there aren't really any better props out there than payten that we could have got.

however i've never really rated him much as a prop. ive always considered him to be a bit of a skandi immitator (in that he's big, slow and doesn't hit the line hard enough to make the big metres. sure enough looking through some back issues of big league when i check his stats im seeing numbers like 14 hitups for something like 68 metres or figures and other figures that are quite similar.

i rate props on their ability to make around 8-10 metres of each hit up and at least 100m made every game. all the top props do this fairly consistently. skando can hardly be said to make 8-10 m per hitup, and for mine payten cant either. still they should both be coming into their primes over the next year or two and could both be top props. all they need is aggresion, consistency and some luck.

but he should be decent, and allow the younger props more time to prepare themsleves for the top grade.

Couldn't of put it better myself :D

But i'm gonna give him a chance first.

Lochie

Juniors
oro said:
I think Payton could have gone to any number of clubs, and he chose us because of the Sheens factor. Didn't Sheens give him his debut? I think the fact that he was forced out of the Roosters shouldn't mean too much, especially because he chose us.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Lochie said:
I think Payton could have gone to any number of clubs, and he chose us because of the Sheens factor. Didn't Sheens give him his debut? I think the fact that he was forced out of the Roosters shouldn't mean too much, especially because he chose us.

Spot on he did make his debut under Sheens and he did storm onto the scene with all sorts of raps on him. he had aggression, had pace and size and could offload.

He is still young and he still adds some much needed size to our pack. I am glad we signed him as we needed a front rower with size and aggression who can intimidate the oposition Payten whilst young does have the abillity to do this.

braz

Juniors
Lochie said:
oro said:

i heard that the roosters mgmt contacted the tigers without payten knowing. they knew we had cash and were looking for a prop.

i don't think payten had much choice as he is under contract. i don;t imagine he was too happy! tough titties :lol:

braz

Juniors
oh no. what i just said could be classified as a rumour. this place might get shut down :roll:

BJ

Juniors
braz said:
oh no. what i just said could be classified as a rumour. this place might get shut down :roll:

haha good one..

canberra were still paying 75% of payten's contract.. does that mean that we have to pay the full price for payten or are a percentage still going to be payed by his two former clubs? there was an article on here about it but i didn't read it..

Bench
Canberra and Easts will be still paying Payten in 2004,so that makes him a very cheap pick up,well done Tim and Noycie.

simon says

First Grade
I totally rate Payten and Im surprised to hear that some here dont.He is big,strong,can offload,and is a real yards getter.

An absolute coup that we have signed the only top shelf prop that was on the market.Cant wait to see that mullett running around Tigertown.A real key siging IMHO.

I like the sound of our front row now....and our pack.

Payten,Farah,Skandy.
O Neill,Boof.
Sattler.

Very nice.......