Peachy try proven to be the correct decision

Discussion in 'NRL' started by OldPanther, Sep 10, 2017.

1. M2D2

M2D2 Bench

This is stupid. Really, REALLY stupid.

Timmah, typicalfan and Card Shark like this.
  2. GongPanther

GongPanther Coach

Scoring with the torso is an utterly stupid rule.

IMO,tries should only be scored with the downward motion of a hand.No when a finger slides down the side of the ball.

OldPanther likes this.
  3. ed-grimley

ed-grimley Juniors

Peachy said he didn't touch the ball and that is good enough for me.
    However karma is a bitch.

4. Blues Riff

Blues Riff Juniors

Hey, that's a send -off in my book. Surely it goes beyond the bounds of niggling the opposition.

OldPanther and umina panther like this.
  5. TheFrog

TheFrog First Grade

Maybe you might like to conduct a little experiment. Go outside to the nearest open space, and run 50 metres from a standing start. Try to stop your arms from moving whilst doing so.

You get my drift? Peachey was chasing a kick, ie running, from a near standing start. Just because his arms/hands were moving, does not necessarily mean he was playing at the ball. In any case, the rules only consider whether the ball was played at in determining a knock on if it was touched by the hand. Conclusive evidence has been provided that it wasn't. If the ball had touched the hands, the ref, who in this case appears to have been pretty much on the ball, would have called it as such.

I note "experts" (ie ex-players) with no connection to the losing side, on the idiot box still quibbling about this call, which was 100% correct under the rules of the game. One can only assume they were the holders of losing bets on this game, for experts of the game they surely aren't.

OldPanther likes this.
  6. Blues Riff

Blues Riff Juniors

The Ref knew what he saw. He went to the Bunker out of respect for Manly. Also , it was a low scoring game and there was fried chicken to sell.

OldPanther likes this.
  7. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Nah mate.

In the NRL benefit of the doubt goes to the "attacker".

OldPanther and Blues Riff like this.
  8. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I can understand why this is causing such an issue. Technically by the rules of the game, peachey scored.

The issue I have with it is that he f**ked up and was rewarded. In the days pre-technology I have no doubt that try would have been denied. It just looks bad. (It's the feel, it's the vibe, it's Mabo). I can't see it being awarded at local footy level, and I can't see that there'd be any complaints.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can't help feeling that we have this technology that our rules weren't ready for. And now that it's here it's here to stay.

Scaven likes this.
  9. Spade

Spade Juniors

who gives a f**k about Manly, hope the merkins fold.

10. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Unless there is doubt and it can go either way

Blues Riff likes this.
  11. Blues Riff

Blues Riff Juniors

You can't go changing the rules on the run though, just because the try is judged too "arsey". Peach chased the ball and got lucky. Fair try. End of story.

12. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Fair try. No doubt.

And I agree with you about changing the rules on the run. Ironically I think that's my criticism of the video ref. I think it was done poorly initially and now we are seeing a reactive response to that poor implementation.

I wish we had never introduced video technology to the game. On reflection, I was much happier when I felt like the refs dudded my team, but it was forgivable due to human error. Instead we have people arguing about lines on screens and time capture video angles.

But depressingly video is now a part of the game. And it's here to stay.

OldPanther likes this.
  13. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

They could make it a whole lot clearer by having a benefit of the doubt goes to attacking team ruling.

Not this make a call and the bunker has to find something to overturn it bs

14. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

If I was NRL Id put it to the vote for coaches to decide if it stays or if we fck it off. If coaches want to keep it they can shut up whinging about it, if they want it gone they can shut up whinging about the onfield refs calls. I dont see why we have to keep something most people seem to dislike just because it exists. I am sure KFC could sponsor some other aspect of the game. We could save about $4mill a year by not having it!

15. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Everyone hated benefit of the doubt, hence why we went to refs call. It seems many have short memories!

OldPanther likes this.
  16. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog Bench

The answer lies somewhere in between i feel.

When the ref has to guess and says "Try", the whole "not enough evidence to overturn" is too restrictive, they should have some room to say "not enough evidence to support" as well.

There are certainly a lot more ways to not score a try than there are to score one.

17. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

So who makes the decision and based on what if both the refs and video ref can't be sure? Maybe a people's vote?

The ref isn't guessing, he is making a call based on what 4 officials viewed. We went 85 years with this method being acceptable!

18. Timmah

Timmah LeagueUnlimited News Editor Staff Member

We went 100+ years with concussed players playing on without adequate medical assessment, should we go back to those days too?

It's called evolution & change - all sports go through it.

19. Doomednow

Doomednow Bench

More threads like this please.

20. OldPanther

OldPanther Bench