What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalties

The penalty counts are getting out of hand.

Now while I disagree with Matthew Johns comments about the Melbourne game and the goal line penalties, I if they are offside, which they are consistanly, they deserve to be penalised.
The easiest way to stop this is more than two penalties on your own goal line and the next player goes in the bin.
That would put a stop to it quick smart.

The Tigers last night is another matter, that was an absolute disgrace.
A "markers not square" penalty could be blown at 90% of the play the balls in any given match. So to blow one in golden point right in front of the posts is ridiculous. Especially given the maker who ran towards the kicker, but not actually interfering with his kick, was square, the second maker, who went the other way and played no part at all in the play, was not.

Once again at the start of the year they start picking parts of the game they have always ignored, let's see if they remain consistent or just let it go in the coming weeks.
I know which one my bet is on.

hazzbeen

Bench
Some good points there BGB.

It’s decisions like last night make us question whether games are rigged.
The Tigers were ripped off.

How come it never seems to be Melbourne or the Rorters at the end of such bad calls?
Funny that.
Mate last nights game was very very poor game of footy . We have been bad over the last few years but this game has hit rock bottom .......

Dragsters

First Grade
I thought from memory that Packer was the marker penalised and he was definitely not square.

It looks like the decision to blow the penalty could have been as a result of the media goading suggesting refs put the whistle in the pocket during golden point.

Damned if they do etc...

Does seem strange that this kind of statement is never made against the donkeys or the purple scum tho...

since77

Juniors

The Tigers should worry less about the penalty than the fact that they couldn’t score in a brothel. Its great being able to defend well but they are impotent in attack. Once the top teams click into gear, the Tigers are going to lose more than they win.

Btw, golden point really sucks ass unless it’s a finals game. Both teams “deserved” a draw last night.

TruSaint

Referee
The Tigers should worry less about the penalty than the fact that they couldn’t score in a brothel. Its great being able to defend well but they are impotent in attack. Once the top teams click into gear, the Tigers are going to lose more than they win.

Btw, golden point really sucks ass unless it’s a finals game. Both teams “deserved” a draw last night.

No argument there, .. what does that say about Brisbane then who won for the first time without scoring a try ? Last week it was a goal post that saved them at the death. This week it was GPoint penalty. They could easily be 0-3.

SBD82

Coach
The NRL has dug its own hole on this for years, and now I don't see a way out.

It's been a gradual thing, but the refs moved from refereeing games to "managing" them.

The refs call players by their first names, and coach them and give warnings instead of blowing penalties. There was even a player last night who complained that the ref hadn't given him a warning before penalising.

The good coaches have seen this, and trained their players to push the boundaries knowing that the refs won't penalise. Instead of getting off a tackled player as quickly as possible, players stay on and look at the ref to determine how long before they need to move. Instead of standing behind the ref in defence, the players stand with their back leg marginally in front of the ref. Instead of leaving when the ball clears the ruck, the players leave a moment before. All of this is happening because it has been allowed to happen, and once it is allowed, it would be negligent of coaches to not take advantage of the relaxing of the rules.

The solution? Penalise everything where a player is not adhering to the absolute letter of the law. But it will never happen, because you would essentially destroy an entire season while the teams adjusted.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Agreed..... what is wrong with a good old fashioned draw. It even adds a bit of spice to the ladder.

Golden point IS NOT real rugby league.
It’s just a bastardised version to cater to the tv stations.

Old Timer

Coach
The penalty counts are getting out of hand.

Now while I disagree with Matthew Johns comments about the Melbourne game and the goal line penalties, I if they are offside, which they are consistanly, they deserve to be penalised.
The easiest way to stop this is more than two penalties on your own goal line and the next player goes in the bin.
That would put a stop to it quick smart.

The Tigers last night is another matter, that was an absolute disgrace.
A "markers not square" penalty could be blown at 90% of the play the balls in any given match. So to blow one in golden point right in front of the posts is ridiculous. Especially given the maker who ran towards the kicker, but not actually interfering with his kick, was square, the second maker, who went the other way and played no part at all in the play, was not.

Once again at the start of the year they start picking parts of the game they have always ignored, let's see if they remain consistent or just let it go in the coming weeks.
I know which one my bet is on.
What also shits me re "markers not square" is the number of times the tackled player stands up and consciously moves to the side to play the ball which automatically puts the tackler at peril for not being square and also how they want to push into the marker as they get up to play the ball forcing the marker to move and again be at peril.
The great Rocket Reddy was very adept at using his knees to guide the player playing the ball to assume the correct position but that is no longer allowed unfortunately.
Once tackled and the marker stands, then the player playing the ball should be directly in from of him and not allowed to move sideways or push forward so IMO sometimes the penalty should be against the player playing the ball.
In fact when players playing the ball are caught for their indiscretions they are brought back to the correct mark to play the ball and no penalty incurred so a bit 1 sided IMO.
Agree 100% re 2 infringements next one regardless of who is in the bin for 5.
Same as the constant questioning off the ref by the captain in an effort to slow down the game.
If I have listened to your complaint and waved you back to position and you come back to me again then in the bin you go.
Toovey, Lyons, Smith all masters of it.

Red V for life

Juniors
What also shits me re "markers not square" is the number of times the tackled player stands up and consciously moves to the side to play the ball which automatically puts the tackler at peril for not being square and also how they want to push into the marker as they get up to play the ball forcing the marker to move and again be at peril.
Couldn’t agree more with this OT. When the whistle went, I thought they’d pinned the Broncos for not playing the ball square...which btw is the first infringement in that play. When I found out what the penalty was for, as a footy fan, I lost it. It’s just poor.

Had a squiz at the Tigers forum after the game and one poster put up a screen shot of that versus one earlier one where the Broncos markers weren’t square and a penalty wasn’t given. There is no way the NRL can argue it. It is a simple rule to police, but it isn’t being policed consistently.

The Damo

Juniors
I like the more penalties for offside and play the ball etc, teams will work it out and it should improve the game. The biggest problem is that some of the refs, Klein in particular are consistently poor. There needs to be more of them sent down the grades when they so obviously screw up.

since77

Juniors
Agreed..... what is wrong with a good old fashioned draw. It even adds a bit of spice to the ladder.

Golden point IS NOT real rugby league.
It’s just a bastardised version to cater to the tv stations.

I’d love to know what the real sentiment out there is for golden point. The commentators love to waffle on about golden point and how much fans love it and how exciting it is. I hate it. Always have. I’d love to know how many people out there actually like the concept during the regular season. Why should a team thrashed by 40 after 80 minutes get the same points as a team who was level with their opposition after 80 minutes?

Old Timer

Coach
I’d love to know what the real sentiment out there is for golden point. The commentators love to waffle on about golden point and how much fans love it and how exciting it is. I hate it. Always have. I’d love to know how many people out there actually like the concept during the regular season. Why should a team thrashed by 40 after 80 minutes get the same points as a team who was level with their opposition after 80 minutes?
Astutely argued well done.
GP a blight on the game.

BennyV

Referee
I get what your point is, but a loss is a loss. By the same logic as your last sentence, a team that loses by 1 in the last minute (or even after the buzzer) should be afforded some consolation over a team that gets pumped by 54-0.

In reality, no. A loss is a loss. A draw should probably be an option for regular season but losing by 1 point or 80 should be treated the same.

The other problem is that when draws were a thing, everyone complained. 20mins extra time in regular season is too much, but there’s always complaints and complainers. And of course, everything was better ‘in the old days’!

Personally I’d look at golden try with field/penalty goals allowed. Shoot for goals as much as you’d like, but you risk a try afterwards and extra time doesn’t finish until the halves are up or a try is scored. Might see some fancy footy.

TruSaint

Referee
Ladies and Gents, yes they got it fricken wrong...

'We got it wrong': NRL says match-gifting penalty shouldn't have been given

The NRL has conceded the controversial match-deciding penalty call against Wests Tigers on Friday night against Brisbane was “incorrect”.

Referee Ashley Klein penalised Tigers forward Robbie Rochow for not standing square at marker in the 86th minute in golden point. Broncos winger Jamayne Isaako kicked the penalty goal to hand his side a 9-7 victory.

NRL

✔@NRL

Isaako slots the penalty goal for the win!#NRLTigersBroncos#NRL

10:02 PM - Mar 23, 2018
“I spoke to the referees last night about what they were looking at and again this morning once they have had a chance to review it themselves.

“We’ll move forward with it to the coaching aspect now - where they were standing, what could they see and how we reached that point.”

Sutton contacted Cleary on Saturday morning to inform the club of the NRL’s verdict on the call.

“Ivan and I have a reasonable relationship, we talk on a regular basis. We will continue to chat,” Sutton said.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...houldn-t-have-been-given-20180324-p4z61m.html

RANT OVER !!!!!! :)

Gareth67

First Grade
The NRL has dug its own hole on this for years, and now I don't see a way out.

It's been a gradual thing, but the refs moved from refereeing games to "managing" them.

The refs call players by their first names, and coach them and give warnings instead of blowing penalties. There was even a player last night who complained that the ref hadn't given him a warning before penalising.

The good coaches have seen this, and trained their players to push the boundaries knowing that the refs won't penalise. Instead of getting off a tackled player as quickly as possible, players stay on and look at the ref to determine how long before they need to move. Instead of standing behind the ref in defence, the players stand with their back leg marginally in front of the ref. Instead of leaving when the ball clears the ruck, the players leave a moment before. All of this is happening because it has been allowed to happen, and once it is allowed, it would be negligent of coaches to not take advantage of the relaxing of the rules.

The solution? Penalise everything where a player is not adhering to the absolute letter of the law. But it will never happen, because you would essentially destroy an entire season while the teams adjusted.

SBD82 - good post , you have explained the real problems that have bought our game to this level . Teams are indeed being coached into taking advantage of those situations , with you know who from the Deep South of the continent being the prime instigators. I know I have said this previously and some have replied that we are in a different era now, but - do we really need 2 referees .

If the game only had one i am sure that the standard of refereeing would improve immensely . Of course that would only be a start , imo we would be better off without the Golden point fullstop . At the end of 80 hard fought minutes both teams would be entitled to one competition point . It , the golden point was only there for the tele channels in any case - more commercials- more dollars - more very disappointed teams , imo .

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
I get what your point is, but a loss is a loss. By the same logic as your last sentence, a team that loses by 1 in the last minute (or even after the buzzer) should be afforded some consolation over a team that gets pumped by 54-0.

In reality, no. A loss is a loss. A draw should probably be an option for regular season but losing by 1 point or 80 should be treated the same.

The other problem is that when draws were a thing, everyone complained. 20mins extra time in regular season is too much, but there’s always complaints and complainers. And of course, everything was better ‘in the old days’

And I get what your saying, but.....

A loss may be a loss but a draw should not be end up being counted as a loss. (What a sentence!) To me the unfair thing about golden point is that one team gets no points after being level after full time is blown. I could grudgingly live with it if they divided the points (1.5 for winner, 0.5 for loser). At least that better represents how the game finished.

It’s not about going to back to the old days, it’s about fixing something that Is broken.

Latest posts