What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith want $20 million, Leichhardt gets white anted

Bald Tiger

Juniors
So the Panthers have one good season with decent crowds and they want $20 million from the NSW Government to upgrade their Stadium (Herald 10 September). Well you have to admire them, they dont pussyfoot about. Show us the money. Now take Leichhardt. We have two stands with white ant. They have been closed for more than 15 months. It not only limits seats, its embarrassing. So whats going on? Where is the plan from Leichhardt Council and Tigers to do the NSW Government for the funding to fix the stands? Silence.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah i think their taking the easy way out when they say they cant do a thing cuz their heritage listed, thats BullS***!!!!! Now these stands are going to come down anyway even if they just fall to pieces, it will happen. Now i wuld suggest to them that they do something about it now before they collapse on people walking out after a home game, that would pose some questions wouldnt it!

Bald tiger your right though, those stands DO look embarrsassing and its amazing nothing has been done about them yet.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
And we dont want the state of the stands to be an excuse for the NRL saying Leichhardt is not up to scratch for first grade games. Sometimes our club is so frustrating.

King Tigerman

Juniors
shows how much community spirit leichhardt council has towards their football team

also penrith asking for $20 mil is ludicrous a proper offer would be 5 mil

Gobbso

Juniors
Its funny that this has been mentioned. For my sport marketing class at Uni on monday we looked at a Case study, and believe it or not, it was focused upon the Balmain Football club, with the Headline being "Where have all the Balmain fans gone?" Anyway, the article brought up their history and past about the cluture of the club and how it has evolved and changed so quickly and dramatically over the past 15 years.

The main focus was on how the football club managed to lose the support of the local community and area and how they could win it back. They stated that there was really nothing they could do as the culture and demographics of Leichhardt/Balmain was out of the football club's control. Stating that the blue-collar worker era had moved on, and that it has tranformed into a classy upper class region of Sydney who have no real interest in Rugby League or the Balmain club itself.

As sad as it is, it is nothing but the truth. You'll always have your diehard and true blue Balmain now Wests Tigers Supporters who will travel far and wide to Leichhardt oval, but the district as a whole has lost interest in the Game and club itself.

This is the main reason why i believe Leichhardt Oval will only remain as it does now. The council along with the NSW Govt. together can see no real future development in upgrading the facilities and ground itself. "For the times they are a changing!" While comparinng to such area's as Penrith and Newcastle, they are club's and regions on the move. Change is inevitable, its unstoppable.

simon says

First Grade
Yeah youre right,lets play all our games at Campbelltown,thats where our future is........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Never heard that one b4.

Gobbso

Juniors
simon says said:
Yeah youre right,lets play all our games at Campbelltown,thats where our future is........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Never heard that one b4.

Buddy, i never said anything about playing all games at Campbelltown. If you read my post properly, i was just highlighting the ever changing dynamic's and demographics of the Leichhardt area. Due to location it was always going to be the case of the upper class culture moving in to the region, having little knowledge of the game and club itself. Who's to say in years to come, the same might happen to South-West Sydney and so on...Its an intangible factor that is out of football club's control...

simon says

First Grade
BS,i read your post and its the same old stereotypical shite.Im from Balmain,and most of my mates still llive there.Contrary to popular belief they all drink beer,and go to the footy.None of them drink latte or go to the opera.

Its funny how an area that doesnt have fans can get 15 000 punters easy on a good day.Quit flogging a dead horse mate.

jilliby kitty

Juniors
the gobbs is dead right there are more balmain and inner city western suburbs supporters on the centre coast than in balmain or ashfield anyone who played for concord, five dock ,enfield,holman,granville,st bennys ,beralla etc aren't living there now there on the coast out at penrith or campbelltown

King Tigerman

Juniors
simon says said:

thatll never happen
wed end up playing games at telstra stadium 4 times a year

innsaneink

Referee
jilliby kitty said:
the gobbs is dead right there are more balmain and inner city western suburbs supporters on the centre coast than in balmain or ashfield anyone who played for concord, five dock ,enfield,holman,granville,st bennys ,beralla etc aren't living there now there on the coast out at penrith or campbelltown

Take a walk down King st Newtown....probably the most popular "sport" around there now is -bare back riding- :shock: cant see many new young families growin up there & if they are theyre kids aint gunna play footy...
chess maybe...
there are the Camperdown Dragons? just hangin on by the skin of their teeth...30 years ago there were 4 or 5 local teams ...now just 1 that I know of.
The tiges are lucky we still have some fairly strong junior clubs,Liechardt Jnrs,Fivedock RSL,Liechardt Wanderes ...but things are always changing!

innsaneink

Referee
jilliby kitty said:

This Holman lad's now living near Parra.
I know Five Dock RSL JRLFC still exist...
and Concord and Burwood merged..
all 3 now in Balmain Jnrs...
But does anyone know if Enfield feds,Holman and Granville Diggers still exist????
Berala Bears now play in Canterbury Jnrs I think.I've tried searchin the web but found nothing...I thought Feds played in the Dogs Jnrs after wests
went to Campbo....but Bulldogs site dont mention feds at all,
maybe Enfield Feds & Holman have gone too.
Only trophy I ever got for footy was presented to me by Yappy Holman

Gobbso

Juniors
Magpie said:
Feds are gone.... :(

My old man used to play for South Strathfield in the 'then' Western Suburbs district. He was a Magpie junior, but they were gobbled up by Canterbury-Bankstown when the Maggies flew West to Campbelltown. South Strathfield like Enfield Fed's are also gone.

King Tigerman

Juniors
berala bears are still around my mums company sponsors the under 7s or 8s across the board theyre going alright even though i read theyre responsible for 1/3 of the visits to the judiciary

Magpie

Juniors
Feds originally went to Balmain juniors,but transferred to c'bury coz it was (then) a "stronger comp"
Some of them formed Bankstown Cougars now.....

yappy

Bench
They stated that there was really nothing they could do as the culture and demographics of Leichhardt/Balmain was out of the football club's control.

Gobbso mate - your lecturer is feeding you unadulterated cattle manure. The whole premise of the argument that rugby league clubs can only survive in blue collar areas is demonstrably bullsh*t of the highest order. Ever heard of the Roosters? The Broncos aren't the powerhouse they are because they're followed by a massive population of wharfies. These two (and all successful clubs to a greater or lesser degree) are successful because they have tapped very strongly into the local Business community. And guess what - there is a very strong business community on the peninsula (not to mention in that big bunch of buildings just across the pond from Peacock Point).

No, Balmain (and for that matter Western Suburb's) failure was not due to changing demographics, but due to the utter inability of the club's administration to make the club an attractive promotional vehicle for business people. They didn't do enough to promote themselves to grow this side (the most important side these days) of their business, they didn't treat their business clients well enough, or work hard to provide the extra value to these clients that would make the value of their investment obvious and so struggled to hold onto them. They saw this money as 'sponsorship' (ie charity) and thought it was their god given right without having to get off their butts and fight for it. The changing demographics just gave those responsible (or irresponsible as is more correct) a quick and easy excuse for their failure. It may have salved their consciences but excuses don't make a succesful organisation in any field of endeavour.

The club's future was in it's own hands and it was sitting on them. They (yes and Wests, or Norths, or the Gold Coast for that matter) could create a prosperous future for themselves if they were prepared to do what it takes. A very large part of what it takes is good marketing and all the things that go with it (product design, client management etc). Excuses and blaming circumstances are for losers. Opportunity exists all around, the successful just prove it. If this sort of defeatist, 'woe is me', 'I have no control over the future' crap is what they teach you in a sports marketing course then I'd respectfully suggest you should transfer to a real marketing course.

bazza

Immortal
yappy said:
They stated that there was really nothing they could do as the culture and demographics of Leichhardt/Balmain was out of the football club's control.

Gobbso mate - your lecturer is feeding you unadulterated cattle manure. The whole premise of the argument that rugby league clubs can only survive in blue collar areas is demonstrably bullsh*t of the highest order. Ever heard of the Roosters? The Broncos aren't the powerhouse they are because they're followed by a massive population of wharfies. These two (and all successful clubs to a greater or lesser degree) are successful because they have tapped very strongly into the local Business community. And guess what - there is a very strong business community on the peninsula (not to mention in that big bunch of buildings just across the pond from Peacock Point).

No, Balmain (and for that matter Western Suburb's) failure was not due to changing demographics, but due to the utter inability of the club's administration to make the club an attractive promotional vehicle for business people. They didn't do enough to promote themselves to grow this side (the most important side these days) of their business, they didn't treat their business clients well enough, or work hard to provide the extra value to these clients that would make the value of their investment obvious and so struggled to hold onto them. They saw this money as 'sponsorship' (ie charity) and thought it was their god given right without having to get off their butts and fight for it. The changing demographics just gave those responsible (or irresponsible as is more correct) a quick and easy excuse for their failure. It may have salved their consciences but excuses don't make a succesful organisation in any field of endeavour.

The club's future was in it's own hands and it was sitting on them. They (yes and Wests, or Norths, or the Gold Coast for that matter) could create a prosperous future for themselves if they were prepared to do what it takes. A very large part of what it takes is good marketing and all the things that go with it (product design, client management etc). Excuses and blaming circumstances are for losers. Opportunity exists all around, the successful just prove it. If this sort of defeatist, 'woe is me', 'I have no control over the future' crap is what they teach you in a sports marketing course then I'd respectfully suggest you should transfer to a real marketing course.

Yeah - I think that Gobbso (or his lecturer) was trying to make that point

The demographics of areas have changed - and there is nothing the football club can do about that - but they can change the way they market themselves to appeal to the new community.

Sitting back and simply whinging that things changed didn't do a whole lot to help.

King Tigerman

Juniors
yappy souths are lucky because theyre region is from moore park to the airport

on newtown too many trendies great place if you want to watch POETRY READINGS

the balmain region is alson full of trendies in 2000 there were more pubs with SOUTHS posters than tigers posters

gold coast failed in the past bring em back theyll succeed if given time to

thats why we need trendsetters like mwa drink beer chat up glamours & watch football