What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peripheral Neuropathy

legend

Coach
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes back in October 2013 and one of the side effects PN. I have it in my feet and you wouldn't wish this on your worst enemy. It hits hard at night and makes uninterrupted sleep impossible.

In short, it's nerve damage in your feet due to high glucose levels in the blood. It's very painful when it strikes and it's a mix of stabbing pain, numbness and a sever burning sensation.

I have my blood sugar level down to around 7, which is pretty good considering where I was at when first diagnosed. I take 150 mg of Lyrica twice a day but it doesn't seem to be doing much. It's had a major impact on my quality of life both on a personal and professional level.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if so, can offer any advice/tips on how to get this under control or is the damage permanent as all the doctors offer is generic info on keeping blood sugar under control and things will be fine.

I understand this is not something that can be rectified overnight but it is a nightmare to live with. I walk around the office with no shoes on all day. Same at home.

I use a circulation booster for half an hour in the morning and it does help, along with a dramatic change in diet.

I weigh around 93//94 kg's and I'm 188 cm tall so on the BMI scale, I'm at 26, which is almost perfect.

Big_nick

Juniors
Hey mate, a footy forum is probably not the best way to source information on chronic disease/exercise! But, Non-weight bearing exercise would be your best bet for now, with T2DM you should try do full body resistance training a few times a week.. If you live here in Aus then get your GP to refer you to an Exercise Physiologist where you are eligible for 5 sessions (as part of a GP management plan) and 10 group exercise sessions. They will then construct a manageable exercise program for you.
Cheers, Nick.

Houdini

First Grade
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes back in October 2013 and one of the side effects PN. I have it in my feet and you wouldn't wish this on your worst enemy. It hits hard at night and makes uninterrupted sleep impossible.

In short, it's nerve damage in your feet due to high glucose levels in the blood. It's very painful when it strikes and it's a mix of stabbing pain, numbness and a sever burning sensation.

I have my blood sugar level down to around 7, which is pretty good considering where I was at when first diagnosed. I take 150 mg of Lyrica twice a day but it doesn't seem to be doing much. It's had a major impact on my quality of life both on a personal and professional level.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if so, can offer any advice/tips on how to get this under control or is the damage permanent as all the doctors offer is generic info on keeping blood sugar under control and things will be fine.

I understand this is not something that can be rectified overnight but it is a nightmare to live with. I walk around the office with no shoes on all day. Same at home.

I use a circulation booster for half an hour in the morning and it does help, along with a dramatic change in diet.

I weigh around 93//94 kg's and I'm 188 cm tall so on the BMI scale, I'm at 26, which is almost perfect.

Hi Legend,

I am type 1 diabetic and having been living with it for 29 years. I have not experienced trouble with peripheral neuropathy however I am still discovering the effects of living with this disease long term.

Last year I was diagnosed with Diabetic Mastophathy (also known as Sclerosing Lymphocyctic Mastitis) which was a bit of a shock as I had never heard of such a thing. It required surgery but unfortunately as long as I have diabetes, the condition may come back. My surgeon told me it is rare and he had heard of only 1 other diagnosis in the past 10 years.

I guess all I can suggest is taking the best care of yourself you can. And hang in there, cause shit will go wrong no matter how hard you try to maintain your health.

You can PM me if you ever need someone to talk to. It can get you down sometimes and its hard to find someone who can understand how you are feeling.

legend

Coach
Thanks Houdini. It's slowly getting better and coming under control. Still have my bad days but they are fewer at the moment.

It has taken me four to five months to get my head around this and living with it on a day to day basis. I think it was brought on by other meds that made me insulin resistant even though I had been living a healthy lifestyle for some years prior to diagnosis and had dropped a substantial amount of weight over a six year period.

I am getting more uninterrupted sleep and have less fatigue but the bad days are like a sledgehammer.

I saw something on the news last Friday about a medical procedure that eliminated diabetes altogether from a couple of people and this old guy went off his meds, brought his BP under control and dropped about 30kg's although I don't have that much weight to drop. He had type 2.

legend

Coach
Thanks mate. Working hard to keep it all under control. CSR have brought out low GI cane sugar, so I use that in my tea now, which is the only sugar I have all day unless I sneak a tim tam every now and then. ;-)