What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Bests, Completed Goals, Milestones and General Achievement Thread

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Flat barbell is easier, using dumbells forces you to engage more muscles.

The only thing I use a barbell for is thrusts.

Yeah but no good sticking to dumbells if your gym only has little ones and you can lift them easily- you'd get more benefits out of going heavy with a barbell than cruising with light dumbells.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
TEP, whats your thoughts about when to start using a belt when lifting? I haven't tried using a belt as of yet, but want to keep gunning for gains on my squat in particular, next long-term goal after this year is to get up near to the 200kg mark. Am I risking things by staying raw?

Nah man, you have just as much chance ov getting injured with a belt than without one. If your form is right you will be fine. Getting one could help you progress towards 200, but it's not necessary. It's important, once you have spent time learning how to use it, that you don't become reliant on it. This means only using it on your top sets or not using it every time you squat. You should still make sure you get some reasonably heavy beltless work in still for the benefit ov your core strength and thus continuing progression.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Nah man, you have just as much chance ov getting injured with a belt than without one. If your form is right you will be fine. Getting one could help you progress towards 200, but it's not necessary. It's important, once you have spent time learning how to use it, that you don't become reliant on it. This means only using it on your top sets or not using it every time you squat. You should still make sure you get some reasonably heavy beltless work in still for the benefit ov your core strength and thus continuing progression.

CHeers dude, I'm happy enough without at the moment and try to be real careful with form so I think I'll be cool for now. I kinda like to keep things simple when I can. I think the target is achievable either way if I keep working towards it, I'd set myself an initial target of 160 for the end of this year and am almost there, I cleared 155 on the weekend but failed 160, but was getting a bit tired at that point so reckon I'll hit it no sweat at the end of the year. Then I've got 12 months to work on the next stage :)

Danish

Referee
after my 8km run this morning I just racked up 1000km for the year to date, achieving a long term goal I set back in february to run 1000km in 2011 :)

only problem is looks like I've picked up a calf strain/tear for my troubles, so might need a few weeks off

ive lost 20 kilos this year. gym 4-5 days a week. i also play oztag and started indoor soccer as well as AFL 9's.

diet wise ive changed the following

Completely cut out Soft Drink, DFruit Juice and Cordial. which i used to drink too much of. thats been huge in that im not taking in so much sugar.

Start the day with a poached egg, toast and an up and go..gives me good fuel for the day.
i have a bannana or apple at about 10..
small lunch at 12.
when i get home from work i have a piece of peanut butter toast. bit of protene n that
then hit the gym

dinner is whatever we have made for that day.

the thing with weightloss is this. its hard..to keep it off you need to be disciplined and work at it. marathon not a sprint and all that. gradual loss over a long time requires dedication and patience but in the end its better than losing 10 kilos in 4 weeks then having it all back again.

the hardest bit is training your brain to

A. follow your diet and exercise routines. going to the gym after a shit day at work sounds like a kick in the balls. most days it is. but at the end you are better for it.
B. make healthy choices in regards to food. be smart.
C. remain positive if weight is slow coming off. this is a long term project for losing it and keeping it off.

Thomas

First Grade
That's some pretty good advice.

I guess the best thing to do is get into a habit of eating healthy and exercising. I genuinely look forward to my workouts now. Before it used to be a chore but now I get annoyed if I don't get 3 hard sessions in a week.

At Cliffy's request... jokes :D

dsc00314fm.jpg

Cliffhanger

Coach
You got the V Shape. Nice work.

I'm jealous, I think I need to cut. Arms are getting too big. Think I'll cut my carbs down to 100 grams a day for three days up it to 150 on the fourth and then repeat. Down calories to 1600 for three days then 2000 on the fourth. I'll see how it works.

Cliffhanger

Coach
So started my cut at the start of the year, finding it really hard to eat 2000 calories every forth day because I just start to feel sick and bloated. Haven't eaten any chocolate or candy all year and that's usually my weakness. I changed carb intake to under 150 for three days and under 200 on the fourth but I'm considering using the original plan of under 100 and 150 and dropping calories to under 1400 calories and under 1800.

I'm used to faster progress than this which is annoying and my arms haven't got smaller at all and my shoulders are looking as manly as ever. My training is still fairly intense, resistance 6 days a week, climbing 4 days a week and running 3 or 4 days, thinking of upping running to daily.

Just over two weeks in things are looking like this.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120117_8.JPG
    Snapshot_20120117_8.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 36

abpanther

Staff member
I've achieved a milestone, completed my first week of weights last week and loved it, morning training = win

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If I was a man they would be nice. I hate them.

If it's any consolation your stomach looks super-hot!

Squat up to 142.5 today, pb for reps. Have started dieting as I want to drop 5-10kg of the excess fat I'm carrying, trying to keep total calories/day under 2000 while maintaining 200g+ of protein daily.

Update- weighed in at 102.5 yesterday, weight already down a couple of kg. Goal is to be down to 95kg in March.

New training goal- to run the City to Surf in under 100 min and squat 180kg in the same week!

Saturday update- 101.6kg - dropped 4kg in 10 days now :)

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Been eating clean for 28 days now, which is how long they say it takes to form a new habit and as eating feels like a chore now I'm inclined to believe it.

I'm still keeping up with my training too. I can do chin ups of slopers now. A full planche push-up is still far away though. Climbing is getting stronger too. Getting much better at dips too.

Latest posts