What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personalised jersey numbers?

It's just another example of Australia implementing stupid and lame concepts like that "RISE" garbage Thaiday came up with, and of course this:

The most humiliating thing I've ever seen on a sporting field.

RedVee_8

Juniors
That should only happen on Aussie soil, but it should be left for the official Welcome to Country before each match, then the anthems.

I’d prefer the team to do a war cry (like one of the All Stars efforts) if we want to do something.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I still don’t like the way the Kangaroo’s implemented the squad numbers.
If anything, it should be the best 1-17, then the rest.
I think the 50s & 60s Kangaroo your squads were numbered 1-14? Backs 15 on forwards. It still looks odd when I see old film clips from those games.

BadnMean

Juniors
Is this Mal's way of avoiding the no. 7 discussion?

I don't think so. I'm from Canberra and met Mal a number of times over the decades. He's not got much time for this kind of crap. This is a bloke who ended his own political career mid interview when he realised he'd just be sitting there going through the motions of what he was supposed to say...

He's no dinosaur but this is distinctively not a Big Mal idea.

Llangennech

Juniors
i hope we go back to 1 - 17 for the next WC. I want the British league system to go back to 1-17 as well.

TDD91

Juniors
Not a chance Super League will go back to 1-17. Clubs make too much money from selling jerseys with numbers on, that's also partly why they cost a fraction of an NRL jersey. I'm against retiring numbers, like Hull KR did with #6, but squad numbers offer an opportunity for players to develop their own brand as well, like Jackson Hastings claiming 31.

big hit!

Bench
Not a chance Super League will go back to 1-17. Clubs make too much money from selling jerseys with numbers on, that's also partly why they cost a fraction of an NRL jersey. I'm against retiring numbers, like Hull KR did with #6, but squad numbers offer an opportunity for players to develop their own brand as well, like Jackson Hastings claiming 31.

Squad numbers are fine, but base the 1-13 or even 1-17 on position, so you basically have your second hooker 14 and forwards 15-17. Then 18-30 is the rest of the top 30 contract players beginning with backs from 18-23, halves/hooker 24-26 and the rest of your forwards 27-30. You won't see too many of these guys weekly anyway, unless there are injuries, during Origin or a bolter coming through. And if those players want to keep the number in future seasons, fair enough. Premier League clubs offer players a 1-11 based on position once they're entrenched in the team, or when they're recruited.

It gets out of hand when someone like Hastings was 31 when he is a 1-13 all day, or you have guys like Matt Rogers and Les Davidson in Super League for Cronulla taking 45 and 38.

Llangennech

Juniors
No. You can still sell jerseys with numbers on. And the price of jerseys seem higher in Oz.

Latest posts