What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth fans fave for expansion

RoosTah

Juniors
Perth is an obvious choice - a large city with only 4 football teams across 3 codes - two of which either don't play a full season or play in the cricket season. Places like Ipswitch, Logan,Wellington etc would be nice, but realistically it'd be another Canberra with their populations, and you want your new market to have some mass.

Billythekid

First Grade
They also put PNG on basically the same level as a new NZ team which kinda shows how useful this poll is.

taipan

Referee
Results from the Telegraph readers poll are in. Fans think Perth is the priority for expansion!
Q. Where should the next expansion team be located?
A.
Perth 37%
CC 22%...
Cq 11%
Brisbane 11%
NZ 7%
PNG 6%
Ipswich 5%
Logan 2%
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/fans-name-jarryd-hayne-the-best-player-in-rugby-league/story-fni3fbgz-1227040433925?nk=2cd9a83c4a2a01b56a583b0bdfa46a91

You can thank me for that,Perth got my vote.Despite the fact you want the Sharks relocated.

FlameThrower

Bench
Sorry
I hear the reason why WA has not been assigned a franchise is because they refer to NRL as "Rugby"...until the greater population of WA refer to NRL as League or rugby league, it's no deal!!!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sorry
I hear the reason why WA has not been assigned a franchise is because they refer to NRL as "Rugby"...until the greater population of WA refer to NRL as League or rugby league, it's no deal!!!!

To be totally fair, calling a sport "Rugby League" is completely illogical and, if you didnt grow up with it, just sounds wired...

Every other sport that uses "League" in their title uses the word to refer to a give competition.
So if they hear "Rugby League" they take it as "Rugby Competition"...

If you want the RL to properly claim the word "League" as part of the core brand, they are going to need to misspell it. (Leegue Football, Leage Football, ect.)

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
To be totally fair, calling a sport "Rugby League" is completely illogical and, if you didnt grow up with it, just sounds wired...

Every other sport that uses "League" in their title uses the word to refer to a give competition.
So if they hear "Rugby League" they take it as "Rugby Competition"...

If you want the RL to properly claim the word "League" as part of the core brand, they are going to need to misspell it. (Leag Football, Lege Football, ect.)

On top of that, it's worth mentioning that in the north of England "Rugby" means Rugby League and I've met guys from there that actually resent Union being referred to simply as "rugby".

flippikat

Bench
Results from the Telegraph readers poll are in. Fans think Perth is the priority for expansion!
Q. Where should the next expansion team be located?
A.
Perth 37%
CC 22%...
Cq 11%
Brisbane 11%
NZ 7%
PNG 6%
Ipswich 5%
Logan 2%

So CQ & Brisbane 2 have about the same level of support, despite Brisbane being more ready for an expansion team? CQ don't even have an NRL-standard stadium right now.

So PNG and NZ 2 have about the same level of support, despite PNG being a 3rd world country with major infrastructure, poverty & security issues that need addressing before a "nice to have" thing like an NRL team?

This is just a daft result.

FlameThrower

Bench
I think there could be a real likely hood that a Sydney team may need to relocate. the Sharks are in all sorts trouble, and already 3 ex-players are looking at legal action due the the peptide fiasco. The Tigers are not far behind with huge debt hanging over their heads.

A WA team is a must (either new or relocated) another QLD team in Brisbane will be next option or QLD. Forget PNG and NZ. The horse is bolted for Central Coast Bears , unless in the off chance, a struggling Sydney team can relocate? Say the Tigers?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So CQ & Brisbane 2 have about the same level of support, despite Brisbane being more ready for an expansion team? CQ don't even have an NRL-standard stadium right now.

So PNG and NZ 2 have about the same level of support, despite PNG being a 3rd world country with major infrastructure, poverty & security issues that need addressing before a "nice to have" thing like an NRL team?

This is just a daft result.

I think that you'll find that the vast majority of the people polled resided in Sydney, that's why the results are so skewed to what I'd call old school thinking.

Did you take the poll?

I did and I can tell you that (like with all of these daily telegraph/News fan polls) the questions were created with fans from Sydney and Brisbane in mind and nobody else. The way some of the of the questions were worded and the available answers can attest to that.

The concept that people outside of these two cities may be interested in RL still hasn't been grasped by the Daily Tele.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think there could be a real likely hood that a Sydney team may need to relocate. the Sharks are in all sorts trouble, and already 3 ex-players are looking at legal action due the the peptide fiasco. The Tigers are not far behind with huge debt hanging over their heads.

A WA team is a must (either new or relocated) another QLD team in Brisbane will be next option or QLD. Forget PNG and NZ. The horse is bolted for Central Coast Bears , unless in the off chance, a struggling Sydney team can relocate? Say the Tigers?

Though it looks like the NRL will have control of Balmains votes for quite sometime (if not indefinitely), I wouldn't count the Tigers out yet as I don't think that the Magpies have any interest in relocating the club outside of Sydney and without their money the Wests Tigers simply aren't feasible.

We might see some minor changes like more games in Campbelltown, but I doubt that we'll see much else come out of the current situation then that.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry

When union call themselves "rugby union" I'll stop calling league rugby and refer to it as rugby league lol.

bobmar28

Bench
Forget polls, a new team will go where it makes sense. And that is not CC. A relocated team might finish up there.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Fan polls :crazy:#-o

Perth would be my first choice tbf, followed by NZ 2

Maybe I'm a bit bias towards NZ, but NZ supplies more players than QLD and QLD has 3 teams and are angling for a 4th. NZ need a second team.

And anybody who says "it will weaken the Warriors" or "The Warriors need to have success before NZ gets another team" should get a kick in the head because neither are even the slightest bit true.

goodplayer

Juniors
tv rateings come 1st , pay tv money , for advertising money,. perth , nz, teams will have that rateings . timeslots, tv fans

sponsorship, corparate money backing

then new fans, crowds, juniors,

need a 2nd nz team .its a no brainer, they have all the ticks . a nrl game each week in nz , build up some rivalry ,

perth has all the money ready to go now

strong_latte

Juniors
Fan polls :crazy:#-o

Perth would be my first choice tbf, followed by NZ 2

Maybe I'm a bit bias towards NZ, but NZ supplies more players than QLD and QLD has 3 teams and are angling for a 4th. NZ need a second team.

And anybody who says "it will weaken the Warriors" or "The Warriors need to have success before NZ gets another team" should get a kick in the head because neither are even the slightest bit true.

For strategic reasons Perth and NZ need teams (extra teams in NZ's case).

Perth because it's the largest remaining potential market in Australia that the NRL doesn't have a presence in and it has shown potential with the Reds before.

NZ because an extra team would give the kiwis a local derbie that would be great for rivalry building, and player development. And also because it would help the kiwi national team and hopefully weaken Union just a little.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Though it looks like the NRL will have control of Balmains votes for quite sometime (if not indefinitely), I wouldn't count the Tigers out yet as I don't think that the Magpies have any interest in relocating the club outside of Sydney and without their money the Wests Tigers simply aren't feasible.

We might see some minor changes like more games in Campbelltown, but I doubt that we'll see much else come out of the current situation then that.

If theyve moved to perth, i doubt theyd still be depending on Wests money...

Theyd HAVE to create a localised business model if they did move the Tigs to perth...