What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth fans fave for expansion

The Great Dane

First Grade
If theyve moved to perth, i doubt theyd still be depending on Wests money...

Theyd HAVE to create a localised business model if they did move the Tigs to perth...

That's true, but Wests still own/half own the license don't they (I'm not quite sure what the arrangements around the ownership of the license are while Balmain are redundant in the merger)?

So surely if they still own/part own the license they'd have to agree to a relocation of the team, that would mean that even though the NRL hold the majority of the votes on the board at the moment (3 out of 5 I believe?) that any vote on a relocation (or other such large decisions) would have to be unanimous, otherwise the NRL would for all intents and purposes be stealing the license off Wests.

Furthermore if a dominant half of a merger (that's basically what the NRL are at the Tigers ATM) could do such a thing to gain full control of the license then one of the Merger clubs would have tried it by now.

Anyway I still doubt that we'll see any major changes at the Tigers (to the branding or location of the club at least) for at least 2 years, as I'm pretty sure that's how long that Balmian have to payback the NRL the 2mil they owe them before WS will be given the opportunity to buyout the Balmain half of the merger.

However if WS do get their hands on Balmains half of the merger in two years time there'll almost undoubtedly be massive changes, and personally I'm not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
From what I understand, if Balmain don't repay the money to the NRL then they will be forced to sell the 50 percent of the club to another party who they choose.

I would suggest that they would be more likely to sell to Islamic State before they would sell to Wests Magpies.

The Great Dane

First Grade
From what I understand, if Balmain don't repay the money to the NRL then they will be forced to sell the 50 percent of the club to another party who they choose.

I would suggest that they would be more likely to sell to Islamic State before they would sell to Wests Magpies.

If this is true then it's insanely stupid!

In the end they'd just sell their half to the group most sympathetic to them, or even worse to the group who is willing to let them still have a say in the running of the club.

Do we really want the people that put the Balmian Tigers into their current predicament having such a big say in the future of the Wests Tigers (and indeed the structure of the NRL's competition it's self!).

And surely we don't want another 50/50 split situation at the Wests Tigers again if we can avoid it.

IMO it'b be better to lose the Tigers brand and welcome the Wests Magpies back into the NRL then to let the status quo at the Wests Tigers continue indefinitely, and loosing the Tigers brand would be a disaster IMO, but at least we'd have a functioning club.

Flapper

First Grade
The Tigers brand is here to stay according to both the NRL and head cheese at Wests Ashfield. Besides as has been stated 17 million times a relocated club won't work in Perth.

bobmar28

Bench
If this is true then it's insanely stupid!

In the end they'd just sell their half to the group most sympathetic to them, or even worse to the group who is willing to let them still have a say in the running of the club.

Do we really want the people that put the Balmian Tigers into their current predicament having such a big say in the future of the Wests Tigers (and indeed the structure of the NRL's competition it's self!).

And surely we don't want another 50/50 split situation at the Wests Tigers again if we can avoid it.

IMO it'b be better to lose the Tigers brand and welcome the Wests Magpies back into the NRL then to let the status quo at the Wests Tigers continue indefinitely, and loosing the Tigers brand would be a disaster IMO, but at least we'd have a functioning club.

Loosing the Tigers brand would be a disaster.

goodplayer

Juniors
wests tigers, perth tigers, western tigers, wests perth tigers , all sound great , would garrentee a very bright future for the wests tigers , new fans , sponsors, money

strong_latte

Juniors
wests tigers, perth tigers, western tigers, wests perth tigers , all sound great , would garrentee a very bright future for the wests tigers , new fans , sponsors, money

Strangely I never thought of that, but it does seem quite obvious; Wests Tigers becoming Western Tigers shouldn't be that big a deal.

Diesel

Referee
Cronulla's always copped the relocation threads but the way the Tigers/Balmain are unraveling and have 18 months to pay off a debt, throw In the commission having some potential sway if the debt isn't paid, and the West Tigers may become the West Coast Tigers.

When is a decision on expansion due to start/decision to be made?

taipan

Referee
The ARLC was supposed to revisit the expansion question after the season is completed.ie end this year.
It could also flow into 2015,leaving it to 2016 is too late.

goodplayer

Juniors
a nrl club can tell the nrl anytime they want . there is around $10million carrot for clubs to relocate , and perth is the gold mine waiting for a club to grab it . i believe that deal has always been on the table , they would get crowds of 20,000 to 30,000 per game , tv veiwers, sponsors would be huge . i think sharks are going nowhere, tigers might just have to jump