What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet hates in gyms

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Thats pretty selfish. I dont do a lot of dropsets/supersets but if i do i really try not to hog the equipment. Basically we all pay the same membership....dont be a prick is my motto

Clifferd

Coach
Thats pretty selfish. I dont do a lot of dropsets/supersets but if i do i really try not to hog the equipment. Basically we all pay the same membership....dont be a prick is my motto

Yeah pretty crap lol. Fair enough if the gyms empty but if it's packed it's a pretty shit move, should be able to adjust your workout to suit the environment

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i do circuits but have 4-5 different options for each set incase the next 1 or 2 get taken by someone else, not hard to do

chigurh

I bought a power rack and a few other items about 5 years ago to use at home - I love it and this thread reinforces that lol.

On the odd occasion I have to head up to Brisbane for a week for work I'll pop into a gym throughout the week and I don't miss a thing about it.

My personal pet hate was/is idiots that wore jeans to the gym.

Iafeta

Referee
I can't imagine wearing jeans to the gym. I like to get a good sweat up and throw myself around a bit so I go with the sweat soaking shirts and shorts... got most of them cheap at the Outlets in the US but they're super comfortable.

Yep, I agree, there's many times I will have an idea in my head and the particular machine is taken - you just have to innovate.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Sometimes if I do a superset I might just switch from one machine or free weights to the other. Lots of people are just too rigid in their thinking.

Now if you are going to the gym to get stronger you do need a power cage. No ways around that but if you just want to get a fully sick pump and look good for a festival its a doddle to change it up. I have been doing more bodybuilder stuff because I have terrible tendinitis and i just love the freedom. I dont need to plan more than what am i trying to destroy today. Say if i get to the gym and all the powercages are full then I will just do some DB presses.

Also the cheapest most slave produced trackies available at kmart and a cheap tshirt is the ideal winter gym uniform imo

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
first time i've had to wear winter gear in a gym this year, $5 trackies and old jerseys do the trick

Iafeta

Referee
Its not so much a pet hate, but I find the fakeness of people interesting at a gym.

Examples - the dude who goes around shaking 42 blokes hand, and about 28 of them have a look of who the F was that bloke? Or a conversation I heard today...

Hey bro
Hey brah...
Looking good bro..
Yeah brah, you too..
Hurt my back bro..
Yeah brah, you should lay off eh, you can do some serious damage..
Yeah bro...
Hey brah, do you still live at whatcha ma call it?
Yeah I'm out at Lurnea...
Bro, where's that? I thought you were at whatcha ma call it.
Which whatcha ma call it brah?
You know... Anyway brah, are you still working in construction?
I've been in product sales for the past 10 years bro.
Oh, I must be thinking you're someone else

END CONVERSATION

Its like watching people walk through the turnstyles and become alter egos.

Was at the gym the other day. My routine allows for a 1 minute rest between sets. I completed 7 sets of 2 different exercises in the time it took some Asian bloke to complete 2 sets on a machine I wanted. He just sat there lookin at his phone. Would have easily been 6-7 minutes between his first and second set.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Was at the gym the other day. My routine allows for a 1 minute rest between sets. I completed 7 sets of 2 different exercises in the time it took some Asian bloke to complete 2 sets on a machine I wanted. He just sat there lookin at his phone. Would have easily been 6-7 minutes between his first and second set.

my circuit goes straight from exercise to exercise with 60 seconds rest between rounds, 8 or so exercises all up. Have been halfway through the second round before someone has finally finished with the bench press, was ridiculous

Iafeta

Referee

Yeah I don't get that. Aside from fitness, I like the gym as time to get away from everything. So I put my iPod on, Fitbit on, and get a sweat going. I don't want interruptions, and I especially don't want anything to do with my phone.

chigurh

I don't even listen to music anymore. Occasionally I will have the news on in the background (lol) but that's about it. If I am going for a max effort lift which is only a handful of times a year I will get myself amped up a bit but otherwise I like my mind being on auto pilot for an hour.

Its not so much a pet hate, but I find the fakeness of people interesting at a gym.

Examples - the dude who goes around shaking 42 blokes hand, and about 28 of them have a look of who the F was that bloke? Or a conversation I heard today...

Hey bro
Hey brah...
Looking good bro..
Yeah brah, you too..
Hurt my back bro..
Yeah brah, you should lay off eh, you can do some serious damage..
Yeah bro...
Hey brah, do you still live at whatcha ma call it?
Yeah I'm out at Lurnea...
Bro, where's that? I thought you were at whatcha ma call it.
Which whatcha ma call it brah?
You know... Anyway brah, are you still working in construction?
I've been in product sales for the past 10 years bro.
Oh, I must be thinking you're someone else

END CONVERSATION

Its like watching people walk through the turnstyles and become alter egos.

That's gold Jerry gold!

I remember I used to occasionally train with a mate who lived in the Bankstown area at his local gym. A guy on the next bench was talking to his mate about how his girlfriend was nagging him to cut down his steroid intake because after a guy beeped them when the lights went green he got out and started beating the guy with a steering wheel lock.

This conversation went down like 2 friends talking about the weather.

Iafeta

Referee
The juice is on the loose! I don't see the point of steroids really. For one it seems to be cheating and is a fairly sad way of achieving something, second it can't be great for your health.

Today there was a dude with quite the gunt training a young lady, and he was saying, quite loudly, that there's half the blokes here who are doing a weak job on the weights. Meanwhile he's doing 11kg lay push downs on the cable bar...

Pantherjim.

Referee
16/09/16, 21:12 Suburban gym, Rouse Hill:

Some chick sits on seat of rower with curling dumbell and does nothing with them, but instead has a deep and meaningful with her boyfriend who is sitting on seat of chest press next to her and is also doing f*ck all exercise.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The juice is on the loose! I don't see the point of steroids really. For one it seems to be cheating and is a fairly sad way of achieving something, second it can't be great for your health.

Today there was a dude with quite the gunt training a young lady, and he was saying, quite loudly, that there's half the blokes here who are doing a weak job on the weights. Meanwhile he's doing 11kg lay push downs on the cable bar...

Because its literally impossible to make those gainz without steroids. Steroids make an insane difference. There have been studies that show young men will gain muscle mass sitting on their arse taking steroids.

I mean i guess its cheating in competitive sports but the classic mass monster body builder look is impossible without it. In fact id go as far to say any bloke who makes money from their body is probably juicing. Its impossible to look like the rock without steroids for example

Latest posts