What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet hates in gyms

Tom Shines

First Grade
I piss myself laughing at the heroes who have heaps big upper bodies and wear tracky pants to the gym with singlets in the middle of summer (and winter).... (most notably middle eastern gym users) because they have legs like sticks and are too scared to show them. They wouldnt know a leg press if it landed on them. Upper bodies like arnie (just ask them) and carves and quads like a 12 year old.
Oh, and this too.

atomic_crimson

Juniors
hard to believe this crap happens these same ppl need to include heavy squats to their program...skinny jeans are for pencil neck homos

I concur on the squats bit. It is quite unbelievable but it does happen. I am tempted to start taking photos as no one believes me. The worst I have seen was a guy with skinny leg jeans, a vest, button up shirt and a fedora.

I was speaking to one of my trainers there and told him they need to instruct people on appropriate gym attire when signing up.

macavity

Referee
Or, you want to make sure you work til fatigue without worrying if you drop a weight on your neck?

Yes, if I had the choice I'd squat instead of leg press, but not when training solo.

If you are failing can't you just drop the squat bar behind you? It makes a racket, but you aren't going to hurt yourself.

I don't do a heap of rear bar squats because I can't get deep enough with them (dunno whats up there, just physically can't get low), but I do a heap of front bar and goblet squats.... and I train alone.

bazza

Immortal
If you are failing can't you just drop the squat bar behind you? It makes a racket, but you aren't going to hurt yourself.

I don't do a heap of rear bar squats because I can't get deep enough with them (dunno whats up there, just physically can't get low), but I do a heap of front bar and goblet squats.... and I train alone.

yep - if you use the squat rack you set the metal pins on the side so that if you drop the bar it won't hit the ground
If you drop it at the bottom of the squat then it won't fall too far anyway

St. Linnane

First Grade
People who get on the arm and leg cross trainer when there is a leg only one free and proceed to not use the arm part.

Snoochies

First Grade
I piss myself laughing at the heroes who have heaps big upper bodies and wear tracky pants to the gym with singlets in the middle of summer (and winter).... (most notably middle eastern gym users) because they have legs like sticks and are too scared to show them. They wouldnt know a leg press if it landed on them. Upper bodies like arnie (just ask them) and carves and quads like a 12 year old.

And have the nice gelled up hair with the nice bright bling silver earrings.

Thomas

First Grade
At my new gym there is a 'special guy'. You know...'special'. He has a few issues but is generally harmless.

He's taken a shine to me though. Follows me everywhere asking if I like Pokemon.

I don't like Pokemon.

People who sit on the same machine or piece of equipment for an hour when it is the only one of those in the gym and manage only 3 sets. Other people (ie. me) might want to use that too dickhead!

Oh, and gym PT's who will organise a "personalised" training regime for you, only to see everyone who uses the same PT use the same "personalised" training session. I told this bloke that my knees are stuffed, and I have been told to take it easy so no weighted leg exercises. The bloke chucked in two leg exercises (leg press + squats with a kettle ball), and now wonders why I don't follow his exercise regime. Wanker.

Last edited:
i hate people who stare at me, yeah i know i got a fat gut, i use it to store the whiskey, quit starring at me!

also hero lebanese who are fully hectic and want everyone to hear their dopey convos, making the rest of the people in the gym dumber for hearing it.

grunters too

pesky gym salesman

people who look in the mirror every few minutes

hmm thats about it

GuardDog

Juniors
i hate people who stare at me, yeah i know i got a fat gut, i use it to store the whiskey, quit starring at me!

also hero lebanese who are fully hectic and want everyone to hear their dopey convos, making the rest of the people in the gym dumber for hearing it.

grunters too

pesky gym salesman

people who look in the mirror every few minutes

hmm thats about it
hmmm...yes and no people that are genuine about their training can't help it when doing their heaviest weight,.when i have 200kg on my shoulders on my 5th(last) set in back squats i grunt a bit,but i know what you mean regarding attention seeker types

macavity

Referee
I am an involuntary grunter.... dont hate me.

I hate bouncers - people who think that doing an exercise with no control (and relying largely on momentum) is perfectly acceptable. They look like they are trying to seperate their joints on purpose.

cleary89

Coach
Just got a new one. Mediterranean Descendants that gabber to the techno music they play. Or anyone for that matter.

Could probably add guys that post on forums inbetween sets too then i guess.

vaney88

Juniors
not sure if this has been said. But I HATE when someone tells you your not doing something right or you should do something else instead expecially when you are in 10 times better shape than the person.!:crazy:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Bicep curling in the squat rack and people (i.e almost everyone) that don't perform the full range of motion. A squat is not a squat if the greater trochanter doesn't dip below the patella. A bench press is not a bench if the bar doesn't touch your chest or sternum. A deadlift is not a deadlift is the bar isn't dead on the ground. A bent over row isn't a bent over row if your torso is perpendicular to the ground you are standing on. I could go on.

GuardDog

Juniors
Bicep curling in the squat rack and people (i.e almost everyone) that don't perform the full range of motion. A squat is not a squat if the greater trochanter doesn't dip below the patella. A bench press is not a bench if the bar doesn't touch your chest or sternum. A deadlift is not a deadlift is the bar isn't dead on the ground. A bent over row isn't a bent over row if your torso is perpendicular to the ground you are standing on. I could go on.

totally agree with those words espeshly curlers in the squat rack

Shorty

Staff member
Ah...well you shouldn't bench press to your sternum...doing so puts your scapula into a vulnerable position.People have dislocated their shoulders this way.
I see what you're saying with ROM but it's just as bad to 'lock' your joints.

Keep in mind squats and bent over row can be varied for skill level and the muscles activated.
You can do a bent over row with less range of motion if you want different areas worked, as long as the back is straight, it's ok.

St. Linnane

First Grade
People who do the massive drop of the weights after the last rep of a set so people turn around and look at them....

macavity

Referee
Ah...well you shouldn't bench press to your sternum...doing so puts your scapula into a vulnerable position.People have dislocated their shoulders this way.
I see what you're saying with ROM but it's just as bad to 'lock' your joints.

Beat me to it. I did some work with an exercise physiologist when I did my AC, and he kicked my arse for benching too low. Upper arm should only ever go to horizontal - never below. Harder to do but much safer.

New hate - weedy 17-18yo boys who go in groups of 3 or more (in stupid clothes) and spend their time "lifting" weights way way too big for them with ridiculously poor (and dangerous) form and then waiting 15 minutes while all of their mates have a go too... actually caught one flexing his pea-shooters in the mirror the other day... I lol'ed.