What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petherbridge

Albo

Juniors
Matt Petherbridge, son of Gary, is he up to first grade standard yet.

Can someone give me a bit of info on him, is he still a young lad??

Could he replace Miles next weekend, if Covell is brought him for just his kicking, I would prefer to bring in a winger with geuine pace who can finish off plays

Mighty Tiger

Bench
NO, NO, NO and more NO's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Far from first grade standard size and defence options are some of many problems he has in PL let alone what he would have at NRL level!

I would prefer Skando on the wing over Pethybirdge at the moment :p

I'm surprised Ric hasn't been on telling you guys how good his son Carney is :p :p :p

simon says

First Grade
Covell is a must start.The only way I could see him NOT starting would be a reshuffle.Put Dene or Bronson in at centre and move Elford to the wing.Id hate to see that as the Elford/Buckets combo is coming along quite nicely.

Surely Covell deseerves his start.......

brook

First Grade
simon says said:
Covell is a must start.The only way I could see him NOT starting would be a reshuffle.Put Dene or Bronson in at centre and move Elford to the wing.Id hate to see that as the Elford/Buckets combo is coming along quite nicely.

Yeah I agree - the only one in the club who could possibly challange covell would have been a fit samia - but he needs a lot of time in PL yet to get fit and back into form.

I love Matty and he's a great PL winger - but he would get slaughtered in first grade

yappy

Bench
The local rag out here is saying Sheens is thinking Pethybridge or Greally for the wing spot - overlooking Covell (who has been our best player by the length of the straight for each of the last three weeks).

What a joke. I'm happy to keep Luke, but feel sorry for the way he's been treated. I have no doubt a smart club will pick him up and he'll score 200+ pts a year for them.

I know where the opposition will be sending their attack if Pethybridge is selected. He's gonna get smashed.

brook

First Grade
yappy said:
The local rag out here is saying Sheens is thinking Pethybridge or Greally for the wing spot - overlooking Covell (who has been our best player by the length of the straight for each of the last three weeks).

What a joke. I'm happy to keep Luke, but feel sorry for the way he's been treated. I have no doubt a smart club will pick him up and he'll score 200+ pts a year for them.

I know where the opposition will be sending their attack if Pethybridge is selected. He's gonna get smashed.

I hope you're wrong

Pethybridge very clearly illustrates the difference between PL and first grade - he's a great PL winger but putting him in first grade would be a disaster for both the WT and Matt himself.

Greally is a fantastic talent - but he's no winger, he's been going great guns at fullback but I think he's still at least half a season off first grade in position - and I wouldn't like to see him debut out on the wing even if I thought he was ready

HappyTiger

Juniors
Greally wouldnt be the worst choice.His size and defesive abilty would be my only concern.He is great on his feet,Blistering pace and confident.But to be honest i dont think he's ready.Give the spot to superboot.

innsaneink

Referee
simon says said:

I hope Covell is not overlooked....he did nothing wrong last year when he was in firsts.
So he lacks some pace, and I know we need more attack options from somewhere but in this case I think he is best for the job....hes good defensively.
And hes good rucking it out close to our line, which we always seem to be doing....

I dunno bout Elford on the wing......he was lost defensively on Sunday when Miles went off.
Why couldnt Elford and Covell swap around in attack and defense...Covell at center and Elford on the wing when we have the ball and vice versa when were tackling.....Elford is supposed to be pretty quick as well I read somewhere.
And when they wanna attack a blind side from a scrum or whenever O'Neill,Elford & Covell could surely work that out between the three of them.

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Elford is apparently the quickest at the club over 40 and ranks 2nd in the NRL over all clubs (with only Matt Rieck ahead of him)!

He has the size - pace and evasive skills for wing - and his greatest shortcoming at centre is his lack of involvement!

Wing could suit him perfectly - enabling Harrison - Halatau or Collis to start in the centres if Covell is overlooked!

McGrime

Juniors
The question remains why no Luke Covell? :|
Is the reasoning only his lack of speed?
Does anyone else know why we would promote another rookie, over a guy
who without being sparkling was a solid performer in a team (WT2003) that was not setting the world on fire but was competitive just the same. He has not been given an opportunity to show his worth this year in the NRL.
Seems a little strange??? :?

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Have to concur that Matt Pethybridge is not an option for the vacant JV wing spot. And even I (sorry Phil) would not advocate Ben Carney - although his goal kicking could be handy. Its bizarre that Tim Sheens would think about using Simon Greally or Matt Pethybridge, while he ignores Balmain’s forward strength - an area of weakness in the JV.

yappy

Bench
Balmain's forwards are over 20.

Tim only brings up U/20's from the lowers. If you're over 20 you'd have more chance of being in Tim's plans if you played for the Cougars. :-k

Gobbso

Juniors
steven_tiger said:
what about kenny mcguinness ? hows he been going ? does he still have it to play nrl again ?

Kenny is not worthy of a 1st Grade position at the moment. His form has been average to say the least. He hasn't been setting the world on fire in premier league for the Maggies. Does he still have it to play in the big time? There's no doubt, but i think Ken McGuinness is his own worst enemy.

The Kenny of old used to hit gaps, put the foot down, and back himself. He rarely does that these days. I'm not sure why? He seems more worried about putting others through space, when really if he worried about his own backyward, he probably would realise he still has the ability to compete with the best of them. Its just a subject of his attitude i believe.

Latest posts