Petition to save the Titans

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by DlEHARD, Aug 27, 2017.

1. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

I clearly stated that I wouldn't.

2. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

I'm really looking forward to the NRL, the Bears and any potential new owners doing their due diligence by reading the comments of hundreds of Titans supporters. ;)

3. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Wow.

If others feel the same the NRL should just abandon the Gold Coast then if the bears are the only viable bidder.

Can't keep the ownership in NRL hands.

4. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Have a feeling that anyone with an ounce of business sense will conduct a slightly more thorough survey than an online petition.

5. BuffaloRules

BuffaloRules Coach

Fair points and I can appreciate your perspective being a fan of the club much more than the blow ins like myself that have already voiced their opinions in this thread .

I agree 100% that the region needs its own team...

The question though that I don't think you have addressed- what if the Bears are the best option for the Gold Coast NRL team in the longer term? Say they have the deepest pockets, and put forward the best business plan?

Shouldn't this be what the future should ultimately be about?

I would hate to see them go through another "shonky owner"..

One other question- I went to a game at the GC earlier in the year- whose bright idea was it to build the stadium in the most remote part of the GC region?

herbert henry1908 likes this.
  6. Marlins

Marlins Juniors

The Bears could possibly be the best option for the Gold Coast RL community. Only if they promote themselves as a QUEENSLAND Club. They would need the full support of the Burleigh Bears, full promotion in the GC. Unfortunately if they did take over they would ultimately want the club to be more NSB then GCB. That is the problem and the SQLD community would think of them more as another NSW club and would crack the shits.

7. BuffaloRules

BuffaloRules Coach

Least they wouldn't be playing in the hated light blue anymore...

Imagine choosing that colour for a QUEENSLAND team?

8. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Seems some would rather Gold Coast rugby league die than allow the bears to takeover.

Which probabaly tells you a lot about why the region has had so many sporting failures.

BuffaloRules likes this.
  9. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

There's a simply solution to that. NRL can out a stipulation in the sale contract that the team can't move to Sydney or play more than X amount of home games in Sydney.

The other Sydney clubs don't want another Sydney team anyway. There'd be a rebellion.

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Fair play you found the only ex bears fan on the Gold Coast who supports it! Even he admits he is the only one in his family that Does.

11. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

How long until the merkin Sydney media start the gossip and rumours about a move to Gosford? I'd give it two seasons.

12. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Juniors

Perpetuating a falsehoods simply isn't my way.

I'd also warn that perpetuating falsehoods for an agenda is a dangerous rope to walk.

I find it pretty concerning that you think that I've been dismissive of the views of Titans fans considering that I've not shared any opinions on their views, nor do I really have an opinion on their views considering that only the views of a minuscule minority of said fans has been brought forward.

Out of curiosity, is it only the idea of importing a foreign brand that you are against (which I can fully understand by the way) or are you against a brand change full stop?

13. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Juniors

I'd give it half a season.

14. mongoose

mongoose Bench

No one under the age of 30 gives a f**k about the Bears. Does the NRL want to build a competition for the younger generations or for the oldies who feel all nostalgic about eating meat pies and drinking tinnies at North sydney oval?

15. Marlins

Marlins Juniors

Yeah They really screwed the pooch right from the beginning with the Titans name, logo and colour scheme.
    Seriously they could have picked something to do with Qld or an already existing Qld club.

16. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Swans moved to non-VFL territory. Would never have worked if they tried to move to SA or WA.

Bears would probably be successful in WA, SA or even NZ. But QLD have their own history and will never accept NSW slopy seconds. You are killing one of only 3 Qld-based nrl clubs to revive a 12th NSW club and you expect Qlders to say "thankyou"?

This "Sporting graveyard" thing is an absolute myth....

The old GC club in the NSWRL was middle-of-the-road for changing owners. The only difference is that these owners kept changing names, THATS why it was so jarring.

But i acknowledge that the myth exists and this GC team was dumb for ignoring it. They should have gone with South Queensland instead of Gold Coast as a name (positioning as the resurrection of the Crushers rather than the Giants).

These myths have power purely because people believe they are true...

17. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

It's no myth.

Even if you ignore all the problems RL teams had in the 90's on the Gold Coast there's a litany of other sporting failures there.

Brisbane Bears
    Gold Coast United
    Gold Coast Rollers
    Gold Coast Blaze

Is there another city that has had such a diverse group of sporting team failures in such a short period?

flippikat likes this.
  18. taipan

taipan Coach

If the Bears are that desperate to get in,IMO the best way to grab a huge grassroot's base would be a 2nd Brisbane :East Coast Bears.
    9 games at Suncorp
    1 at Nth Sydney
    2 at CC
    You don't alienate Titan's fans, you open a 2nd Brisbane club for expansion purposes with a traditional; well loved name, the support would be there in Brisbane,on the CC and Nth Sydney,you'd get every second week just about an NRL game in Brisvegas.What's to lose?
    I could see 20-30,000 members .

Bear (choke cough cough) in mind, when they play other clubs at Brookvale/ANZ/SFS you'd get a fair swag of old Bear supporters ,plus give incentive for kids to play in the Nth Sydney area.The new entity would have just about the biggest area from which to draw fan support/player support/sponsorship support.It would outdo the Broncos.
    Dare I suggest out could be the Manu U of Aussie sport.

19. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Some think that Queensland won't accept a relocated Sydney team under any circumstances.

Bears probably should've hitched their wagon to an expansion team long ago, might've missed the boat now.

20. taipan

taipan Coach

That could be the case, but there is a fair swag who find the Broncos as tasty as castor oil, arrogant and wanting to rule the roost.Think another team with most games played in Brisbane and with the Bears brand would be a better goer than the Brisbane Bombers argument.At least the Bears has a history and is not an artificial or another code gimme.

herbert henry1908 likes this.