What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition to save the Titans

DlEHARD

Juniors
f after doing due dilligence into the bidders, the bears are the only VIABLE bidder, would you still not support the new club?

I clearly stated that I wouldn't.

DIEHARD said:
And if the Bears are some how successful, let's face it dumb shit constantly happens in our sport, I would no longer support them or be a member. I have not forgotten their whiteanting of us and the Storm over the years. Their comments against the Gold Coast region pre-2005 in the bidding process. And their commitment to the Central Coast region and their role in the failed Northen Eagles joint venture.

I'm really looking forward to the NRL, the Bears and any potential new owners doing their due diligence by reading the comments of hundreds of Titans supporters. ;)

Have a feeling that anyone with an ounce of business sense will conduct a slightly more thorough survey than an online petition.

BuffaloRules

Coach
As much as I would like to see the Titans brand continue under a viable ownership model, it is not specifically this issue that was the catalyst for me signing the petition. My issue is about the the North Sydney Bears owning the franchise for the following reasons:

1. The Burleigh Bears were my junior club and they, if anybody, own the brand 'bears' for rugby league on the Gold Coast. I would happily support them owning the NRL franchise in whatever guise they wish except as North Sydney, which is not in Queensland. On this point alone North Sydney can look elsewhere.

2. Sure, the NS Bears own Tweed Seagulls but they offer almost nothing to the Gold Coast Rugby League landscape and if it wasn't for their connection with the Titans franchise then in fact they would offer nothing.

3. For all those experts on Gold Coast Rugby League, the crowd figures, no matter how tweaked by the NRL, are still indicative of the strong heart-beat of GCRL in the community. The Goldie is a rugby league heartland, like it or lump it. For all those other much vaunted Qld rugby league strongholds few, if any, can boast the success of programs coming out of Keebra Park and PBC High Schools to name just a few junior nurseries.

4. As for the GC being a graveyard for sports teams, there can be little argument that implanting a tenuously connected 'business' into an established sporting landscape is a recipe for disaster, a well-managed community-related model, as some others on here have suggested, is most likely to work. The Knights may have finally got it right by engaging Wests and that may well be the answer for the Titans.

5. For those rubbishing the petition, voice your opinion by all means but taking potshots at passionate rugby league people for having their own beliefs is somewhat counter-productive on a rugby league forum, imho.

Finally, from almost day one the Titans were against it with the original shonky owners. The litany of players issues that emerged from very ordinary management didn't help and nor did taking a punt on the Hayne Pain. However, through all of that the GC community on attendances alone have a better case than others (including North Sydney) to have team but when you consider junior catchment then there really is no argument.

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, how much would the Broncos like to be undisturbed in their pillaging of the GC region? The region needs a team and Brisbane needs another for that matter.

Fair points and I can appreciate your perspective being a fan of the club much more than the blow ins like myself that have already voiced their opinions in this thread .

I agree 100% that the region needs its own team...

The question though that I don't think you have addressed- what if the Bears are the best option for the Gold Coast NRL team in the longer term? Say they have the deepest pockets, and put forward the best business plan?

Shouldn't this be what the future should ultimately be about?

I would hate to see them go through another "shonky owner"..

One other question- I went to a game at the GC earlier in the year- whose bright idea was it to build the stadium in the most remote part of the GC region?

Marlins

Juniors
The Bears could possibly be the best option for the Gold Coast RL community. Only if they promote themselves as a QUEENSLAND Club. They would need the full support of the Burleigh Bears, full promotion in the GC. Unfortunately if they did take over they would ultimately want the club to be more NSB then GCB. That is the problem and the SQLD community would think of them more as another NSW club and would crack the shits.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Bears could possibly be the best option for the Gold Coast RL community. Only if they promote themselves as a QUEENSLAND Club. They would need the full support of the Burleigh Bears, full promotion in the GC. Unfortunately if they did take over they would ultimately want the club to be more NSB then GCB. That is the problem and the SQLD community would think of them more as another NSW club and would crack the shits.

Least they wouldn't be playing in the hated light blue anymore...

Imagine choosing that colour for a QUEENSLAND team?

Fair points and I can appreciate your perspective being a fan of the club much more than the blow ins like myself that have already voiced their opinions in this thread .

I agree 100% that the region needs its own team...

The question though that I don't think you have addressed- what if the Bears are the best option for the Gold Coast NRL team in the longer term? Say they have the deepest pockets, and put forward the best business plan?

Shouldn't this be what the future should ultimately be about?

I would hate to see them go through another "shonky owner"..

One other question- I went to a game at the GC earlier in the year- whose bright idea was it to build the stadium in the most remote part of the GC region?

Seems some would rather Gold Coast rugby league die than allow the bears to takeover.

Which probabaly tells you a lot about why the region has had so many sporting failures.

There's a simply solution to that. NRL can out a stipulation in the sale contract that the team can't move to Sydney or play more than X amount of home games in Sydney.

The other Sydney clubs don't want another Sydney team anyway. There'd be a rebellion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I only posted his twitter handle because I was told I wouldn't find anyone who supported it.

One persons opinion is just as useless as an online petition in gauging genuine understanding of the issue.

Fair play you found the only ex bears fan on the Gold Coast who supports it! Even he admits he is the only one in his family that Does.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a simply solution to that. NRL can out a stipulation in the sale contract that the team can't move to Sydney or play more than X amount of home games in Sydney.

The other Sydney clubs don't want another Sydney team anyway. There'd be a rebellion.

How long until the merkin Sydney media start the gossip and rumours about a move to Gosford? I'd give it two seasons.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Some were new clubs, some were change of brands. But perception is reality. Just how many people claim them all to be failed, when the Chargers were closed in a profit, the Gladiators existed for one pre-season competition, and the Giants change to Seagulls with new ownership.

Perpetuating a falsehoods simply isn't my way.

I'd also warn that perpetuating falsehoods for an agenda is a dangerous rope to walk.

Pretty concerning that you'd be so dismissive of the views of the fans who put money and time into the club, sign on the dotted line and become members, buy, wear gear and attend games and actually live in the region. They'd be the group that I would be most concerned with.

I find it pretty concerning that you think that I've been dismissive of the views of Titans fans considering that I've not shared any opinions on their views, nor do I really have an opinion on their views considering that only the views of a minuscule minority of said fans has been brought forward.

Out of curiosity, is it only the idea of importing a foreign brand that you are against (which I can fully understand by the way) or are you against a brand change full stop?

mongoose

Coach
29.1.jpg

No one under the age of 30 gives a f**k about the Bears. Does the NRL want to build a competition for the younger generations or for the oldies who feel all nostalgic about eating meat pies and drinking tinnies at North sydney oval?

Marlins

Juniors
Least they wouldn't be playing in the hated light blue anymore...

Imagine choosing that colour for a QUEENSLAND team?
Yeah They really screwed the pooch right from the beginning with the Titans name, logo and colour scheme.
Seriously they could have picked something to do with Qld or an already existing Qld club.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's funny though ... The AFL Swans brand could make the move between the two biggest rivalry cities if not on the planet then surely the Southern Hemisphere..?

I don't mind the idea provided two games max at Norh Sydney....

Swans moved to non-VFL territory. Would never have worked if they tried to move to SA or WA.

Bears would probably be successful in WA, SA or even NZ. But QLD have their own history and will never accept NSW slopy seconds. You are killing one of only 3 Qld-based nrl clubs to revive a 12th NSW club and you expect Qlders to say "thankyou"?

I saw Phil Economidis has a comment in there

Personally the Titans could fold I don't think many would really miss them despite their fans. The Gold Coast is a sporting graveyard. Every single club that has played there no matter what sport has bombed.

This "Sporting graveyard" thing is an absolute myth....

The old GC club in the NSWRL was middle-of-the-road for changing owners. The only difference is that these owners kept changing names, THATS why it was so jarring.

But i acknowledge that the myth exists and this GC team was dumb for ignoring it. They should have gone with South Queensland instead of Gold Coast as a name (positioning as the resurrection of the Crushers rather than the Giants).

These myths have power purely because people believe they are true...

This "Sporting graveyard" thing is an absolute myth....

The old GC club in the NSWRL was middle-of-the-road for changing owners. The only difference is that these owners kept changing names, THATS why it was so jarring.

But i acknowledge that the myth exists and this GC team was dumb for ignoring it. They should have gone with South Queensland instead of Gold Coast as a name (positioning as the resurrection of the Crushers rather than the Giants).

These myths have power purely because people believe they are true...

It's no myth.

Even if you ignore all the problems RL teams had in the 90's on the Gold Coast there's a litany of other sporting failures there.

Brisbane Bears
Gold Coast United
Gold Coast Rollers
Gold Coast Blaze

Is there another city that has had such a diverse group of sporting team failures in such a short period?

taipan

Referee
If the Bears are that desperate to get in,IMO the best way to grab a huge grassroot's base would be a 2nd Brisbane :East Coast Bears.
9 games at Suncorp
1 at Nth Sydney
2 at CC
You don't alienate Titan's fans, you open a 2nd Brisbane club for expansion purposes with a traditional; well loved name, the support would be there in Brisbane,on the CC and Nth Sydney,you'd get every second week just about an NRL game in Brisvegas.What's to lose?
I could see 20-30,000 members .

Bear (choke cough cough) in mind, when they play other clubs at Brookvale/ANZ/SFS you'd get a fair swag of old Bear supporters ,plus give incentive for kids to play in the Nth Sydney area.The new entity would have just about the biggest area from which to draw fan support/player support/sponsorship support.It would outdo the Broncos.
Dare I suggest out could be the Manu U of Aussie sport.

If the Bears are that desperate to get in,IMO the best way to grab a huge grassroot's base would be a 2nd Brisbane :East Coast Bears.
9 games at Suncorp
1 at Nth Sydney
2 at CC
You don't alienate Titan's fans, you open a 2nd Brisbane club for expansion purposes with a traditional; well loved name, the support would be there in Brisbane,on the CC and Nth Sydney,you'd get every second week just about an NRL game in Brisvegas.What's to lose?
I could see 20-30,000 members .

Bear (choke cough cough) in mind, when they play other clubs at Brookvale/ANZ/SFS you'd get a fair swag of old Bear supporters ,plus give incentive for kids to play in the Nth Sydney area.The new entity would have just about the biggest area from which to draw fan support/player support/sponsorship support.It would outdo the Broncos.
Dare I suggest out could be the Manu U of Aussie sport.

Some think that Queensland won't accept a relocated Sydney team under any circumstances.

Bears probably should've hitched their wagon to an expansion team long ago, might've missed the boat now.

taipan

Referee
Some think that Queensland won't accept a relocated Sydney team under any circumstances.

Bears probably should've hitched their wagon to an expansion team long ago, might've missed the boat now.

That could be the case, but there is a fair swag who find the Broncos as tasty as castor oil, arrogant and wanting to rule the roost.Think another team with most games played in Brisbane and with the Bears brand would be a better goer than the Brisbane Bombers argument.At least the Bears has a history and is not an artificial or another code gimme.