What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould - NRL needs to consider setting minimum and maximum salary cap for clubs

RazorRam0n

Juniors
That's the NRL's fault for being childish and not sorting out the new cap earlier.

Hang on your boys shouted me out of your forum when I raised this possibility before recent resigning of CHN etc (when MWZ was released) remember ? Lol

OldPanther

Coach
Hang on your boys shouted me out of your forum when I raised this possibility before recent resigning of CHN etc (when MWZ was released) remember ? Lol

I don't remember. Is it a big deal? I don't see it as some gotcha moment for the club.

There's more to TMM than cap issues. Either him wanting first grade games which he won't with the Moylan move or the rumors are true.

Hiku I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cap thing though he might have realised Whare and Blake are ahead of him and again doesn't want to be depth.

TheFrog

Coach
There's more to TMM than cap issues. Either him wanting first grade games which he won't with the Moylan move or the rumors are true.

Hiku I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cap thing though he might have realised Whare and Blake are ahead of him and again doesn't want to be depth.
TMM wouldn't have been on serious money, lucky if it's over $150k. On the surface, he would have been a fine backup but one suspects he believes he is a first grader, so if he can't play first grade right away, he may as well learn from someone like JT.

Hiku was (with hindsight) an ill-advised signing in the first place, especially at the price, but you cannot read the future. Those that matter were beginning to think Waqa Blake wasn't going to make it. When he did, and with everybody fit, there are more backs than positions in the backline. Peachey has to play off the bench, and there just isn't room for Hiku, who does have some ability but hasn't really shown it at Penrith.. Like TMM, he believes he is a first grader, even if it is in England.

As was pointed out, events sometimes conspire to make us look silly.

I read somewhere that the CHN contract is already with the NRL for authentication.

Last edited:

RazorRam0n

Juniors
He could just be subtly letting other clubs know they don't have to over spend.

How on earth does implementing a minimum cap spend achieve that? In fact all that does is force clubs who might underspend such proposed minimum spend to spend more

RazorRam0n

Juniors
TMM wouldn't have been on serious money, lucky if it's over $150k. On the surface, he would have been a fine backup but one suspects he believes he is a first grader, so if he can't play first grade right away, he may as well learn from someone like JT.

Hiku was (with hindsight) an ill-advised signing in the first place, especially at the price, but you cannot read the future. Those that matter were beginning to think Waqa Blake wasn't going to make it. When he did, and with everybody fit, there are more backs than positions in the backline. Peachey has to play off the bench, and there just isn't room for Hiku, who does have some ability but hasn't really shown it at Penrith.. Like TMM, he believes he is a first grader, even if it is in England.

As was pointed out, events sometimes conspire to make us look silly.

Of course when you have cap problems you identify high earners that are struggling to bed down a position first... Cart before the horse.. No cap problems they wouldn't be forced out simple as that. Gus has gone on record to say hiku would be there 2018 so hogwash really

OldPanther

Coach
How on earth does implementing a minimum cap spend achieve that? In fact all that does is force clubs who might underspend such proposed minimum spend to spend more

Because he knows it won't happen but the message not over spending gets out.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Of course when you have cap problems you identify high earners that are struggling to bed down a position first... Cart before the horse.. No cap problems they wouldn't be forced out simple as that. Gus has gone on record to say hiku would be there 2018 so hogwash really

Players also get unhappy and leave all the time. You could be right but we won't ever find out. Again it's not a negative if it was a cap thing, at least they didn't do a Storm.

TheFrog

Coach
Gus tells fibs, like everyone else. It was pretty clear at the start of the year that there would be a surplus of backs mid-season.

Blues Riff

Bench
Ha. f**kin' arseclowns, trying to put a negative spin on our surplus of talent. The new development systems are working better and faster than anticipated. We'll hang onto some home-grown stars thanks. See ya journeymen. Thanks for your help.