What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phillip Hughes has passed away at the age of 25

Joely01

Bench
Wow, I've seen the "forever young" and Clarkes speech.

Very emotional, what a fantastic speech from Clarke.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Found the speeches from his cousin, sister and brother to be more moving than Clarke's. Not that Pup's was bad, but the way the family spoke was simply amazing. I could never be that strong if I had to bury a younger family member

MrAnonymous

Bench
I find it hard to cry about someone i didnt know seeing his mum and dad the way they were broke my heart ,the only time I have shed a tear in all of this.

Brutus

Referee
A beautiful service for a beautiful young bloke.

Kudos to all who spoke. Clarke was A Class.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
I find it hard to cry about someone i didnt know seeing his mum and dad the way they were broke my heart ,the only time I have shed a tear in all of this.

This. When I saw his father carrying the coffin I teared up, something no parent should have to go through. Honestly got more emotional watching than some funerals I've been to.

Surrogate

Juniors
With all due respect to Phillip Hughes, I'm sure he's a top bloke, but to have media saturation for two weeks and a state funeral for a fringe player is over indulgent. I am sure if someone like Dean Jones passed away , a state funeral would not be held.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Still can't believe all this has happened. :(

Same here. :(

Its still a bit of a shock, doesnt feel real. A young player with a bright future ahead, so sadly taken away too soon.

It was only about 2 weeks ago about possible replacements for Clarke. Shaun Marsh, Ferguson and Hughes. And getting live scores in the shield game, I can see the commentary say something like, "Hughes is playing well, will do enough to get his spot back".

Its hard not to get emotional watching that service.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
With all due respect to Phillip Hughes, I'm sure he's a top bloke, but to have media saturation for two weeks and a state funeral for a fringe player is over indulgent. I am sure if someone like Dean Jones passed away , a state funeral would not be held.

Dean Jones is a self promoting wanker. The story that has come through this whole saga is that Hughes was the opposite of that. That's why there is the outpouring of grief. I do however agree that the media have gone over the top, but that's what they do.

His brother and sisters speeches were very heartfelt. Can't believe they held it together the way they did.

Must admit, got a bit emotional at Clarke's speech. He's been a bit of a dick in the past, but he's shown himself to be a true leader and very classy with the handling of this. Will be hard for any of the boys to get the fire in the belly back for next week. I hope they can all back up though, I can't say for certain but Hughes struck me as the sort of bloke that would want them to kick on.

Brutus

Referee

And so it shouldn't be.

Hughes didn't just die in a car crash.

He died playing a sport that many Australians have a great affinity with.

His death was there for all to see.

Virtually dying on the sporting field at that level is extremely rare.

What shone through in the aftermath was what terrific young fella he was.

This made people warm to the situation even more.

TheParraboy

Staff member

2 weeks ? Do your math champ

Was Phil Hughes funeral a state funeral?. Didn't Hughes family decided to make it puplic not the state nor prime minister?

In that case why would a state funeral be given to Dean Jones?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hate when people say "why so much attention for x tragedy and not y". You can't control how people feel. This wasn't a media beat up. The emotion was genuinely there for 99% of people across the country.

Dean Jones isn't 25 and he probably wouldn't have died infront of an audience playing the game. There's a whole listen of things that combined to make this specific situation hit the emotional sweet spot in so many of us.

The fact that he's young. The fact it happened in the middle of the SCG. The fact that he was likely days away from climbing the moutain to test cricket again. The fact that he was so well liked by so many people. The stars aligned to make this the thing that brought us all together in a time when we're more divided than ever.