Plane Crashes Into World Trade Centre

Discussion in 'LWOS' started by imported_Willow, Sep 11, 2001.

1. imported_Willow

imported_Willow Coach

A plane has crashed into one of the towers of New York's World Trade Centre.
    One of the largest bulidings in the world is on fire and looksto be in a bad way... much worse than any 'Towering Inferno'.
    Apparently a light aircraft collided with the building but at this stage no one knows if it was accidential or otherwise.

Nothing to do with footy but topical just the same.

This will be all over the news tomorrow.

2. CanadianSteve

CanadianSteve Guest

Bumping the best thread ever on the anniversary of 9/11.

3. CanadianSteve

CanadianSteve Guest

4th anniversary of the attack, and of this thread. Worth a re-read.

4. imported_Gorilla

imported_Gorilla Juniors

One of the more monumental events in modern history, due to its audaciousness and cultural impacts.

I remeber seeing it as it unfolded, glued to the screen, not really being part of this e-community at that stage.

Were are we now after all that ?

5. imported_LordTed3

imported_LordTed3 Juniors

I'm still around.
    Occassionally drop in to lay a wreath.

6. blacklovevirgo

blacklovevirgo Juniors

They shouldn't build another building on the site of the twin towers. They should make it a large memorial site for all the victims of that terrible day. God bless them.

7. El Duque

El Duque Bench

8. CanadianSteve

CanadianSteve Guest

Hard to believe it's 5 years.

9. El Duque

El Duque Bench

Time Flies

10. Benderparma

Benderparma Juniors

Half a decade?

Anyway, what does everyone think of the war on terrorism in hindsight - Should we have nuked like many first responses wanted?

11. legend

legend Guest

Good question. In hindsight, many of the predictions came true but I find myself less hostile these days.

May be because I'm older and far more enlightened, I can look at things in a more rational way?

Nah, I think I'm going senile...

12. El Duque

El Duque Bench

Getting very close now. Time indeed does fly.

13. CanadianSteve

CanadianSteve Guest

Nothing like the 9/11 anniversary to bring us back together. Hope everyone is well, and please pos here a little more when you can.

Cheers, Steve

14. El Duque

El Duque Bench

It's nearly that time again.

15. El Duque

El Duque Bench

7 years.

16. CanadianSteve

CanadianSteve Guest

Hard to believe 7 years has passed. What a thread this was, in LWOS's glory days.

17. imported_Willow

imported_Willow Coach

"Could someone please reassure me that it is a word and not just a concoction of letters by a lunatic."

Sorry mate... jokes aside, George W is a lunatic. Comforting thought eh?

18. CanadianSteve

CanadianSteve Guest

The new diet thread prompted me to post this. I heard a radio ad today for a North American diet plan company called Jenny Craig. A female voice says she was an elementary school teacher "when our world changed." Meaning the WTC attacks. She goes on to say how badly she felt that because of her weight she felt unable to help her students, I think meaning if they had to evacuate she wouldn't be much good. So this inspired her to call Jenny Craig and do somethingabout losing weight.

I was supportive of the US and their reaction to the attacks, but now, a year later I had to laugh at this use of the event for commercial purposes.

19. imported_Willow

imported_Willow Coach

Legend:
    Further to our posts (#842 & 843), if the UN's opposition to attacking Iraq isnt enough, then how about this:

The CIA have released a report that says:
    Iraq represents no threat to the USA and that they are unlikely to launch an attack.
    Further more, the CIA believes that Iraq has no real connection with Al-Qaeda.

This kind of flies in the face of what George W Bush is saying.He isstill trying to convince everyonethat he he is fighting a war against terrorism and that Iraq are in some way attached to the long string of the terrorist network which includes Osama bin Laden and Al-Qaeda and that they are therefore connected to the attack on the WTC.

Its not just the UN who find this hard to swallow. Obviously George's own 'intelligence' organisations think so as well.

20. imported_Willow

imported_Willow Coach

Still on the subject of George W Bush...

Just this week,he stated that he was behind a preemptive strike against Iraq in order to protect the USA. He said in order to stop Iraq attacking America, it was best to make a defensive strike and hit first.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I think the bloke's a lunatic. If he gets away with attacking Iraq, then it proves a belief I've had for some time, that the USA is a most undemocratic country. The US Congress is supposed to keep madmen in check, if they fail to do so, then the whole system is worthless and the reality is that the USA Presidency isnt too far different from a Dictatorship.

George W Bush didnt receive the majority of the vote and yet, he was elected as President.
    George W Bush calls himself 'a man of the people' and yet, he inherited wealth and position and has strong connections with big corporations and the highroller end of stockmarket.
    George W Bush is the head of government but he has very little to do with domestic issues.

The bloke's a walking contradiction.