What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player changes essential at Warriors

Big Marn

Juniors
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11711839

So the Warriors sacked the coach but kept him. They added Warriors great Stacey Jones to the coaching roster and a new 'football advisory board', including Sir Graham Henry.

Owner Eric Watson - so beguiling when in charm mode - told Radio Sport there was also going to be change "in the whole mental skills approach".

New coach Stephen Kearney has another appointment to make in that area and Watson added: "Mental skills [coaches] are not magicians or gurus - they don't come in and fix things. If you think about what we are trying to do, it is all about the mental; about the psychology approach, bringing winners much closer to the senior players ... like Awen Guttenbeil [the only league person on the advisory board], Sir Graham Henry, Stacey Jones and Stephen Kearney himself."

Hang on a minute. Haven't the Warriors been working on mental strength with Dr Ceri Evans? The same Ceri Evans who worked closely with the All Blacks, credited with successfully helping them deal with the weight and stress of expectations.

Wasn't Henry appointed "mentor" to demoted coach Andrew McFadden this year? Isn't Stacey Jones already coaching at the Warriors, close enough to help imbue the senior squad with a winning attitude?

All of that was in place already and yet the season was often like watching a clown run across a minefield - you wanted to laugh but you knew there was nothing funny about it.

Time will tell whether these changes are a window to the future, or just window-dressing. Warriors management have been great at the grand gesture, the sweeping statement, selling merchandise and staging press conferences - just not so clever at getting results, as the last five finals-free years demonstrate.

The big unanswered question is whether any of the playing roster will go. Three coaches in five years (four if you count caretaker coach Tony Iro) is testimony to the fact that if you keep changing the driver but the car still doesn't go fast enough, chances are something's wrong with the car.

The consistent lament is the Warriors have the talent. After five years of no finals football, you have to query that. Player changes seem essential.

You'd bet Kearney will get the best out of the New Zealand players; there seems little chance of Issac Luke turning up a bit underdone next season. He has to find a replacement for the gritty Thomas Leuluai; Tui Lolohea was previously regarded as the long-term future at No 6 but his confidence seemed eroded by being played all round the backline this year. There is no way of telling whether sniffing round Kieran Foran will a) be successful or b) whether his off-field problems will see his availability curtailed anyway.

There are questions over Ryan Hoffman's captaincy, the slowing Manu Vatuvei, the puzzlingly quiet Ben Matulino (where have his offloads gone?) and veteran prop Jacob Lillyman. Only Bodene Thompson, Luke (in his second half of the season) and the tireless Simon Mannering can be regarded as of the quality needed to win the NRL in the forwards, based on this season.

Manly, after a poor season by their lofty standards, farewelled 17 players who either retired or were shipped out. Admittedly, Manly had a bad season in 2015, too. They sacked coach Geoff Toovey (he'd taken them to a preliminary final, a semifinal and a grand final after taking over in 2012) and 14 players.

Clearly the club have other issues as well but two cleanouts in two years could be seen as a bit of a panic or, at worst, a club entering a prolonged period of failure.

But isn't that where the Warriors are right now?

Of those 17 Manly players ditched or shifted or retired, 11 were off contract. The Warriors have few off contract this year so wholesale changes seem about as likely as the Chiefs hiring a new stripper at the end of next season. To make Manly-style changes now, Watson will have to get out the chequebook and start throwing some serious cabbage around.

Recruits with greater mental toughness are needed, and it will be intriguing to see how far the Warriors move in that direction.

Kearney, in the coaches' box on Friday night, must have wondered how he could get the Warriors up even to the same standard as the Broncos in their 26-20 loss in a fantastic finals match with the Cowboys. The Warriors are simply not in the same league.

If they are left with the same roster, the Warriors and their fans might have to get used to being the butt of humour like the old joke about Snow White taking packed lunches to the mine where the seven dwarfs are working. She discovers a cave-in and screams into the only opening she can find, hearing a weak voice reply: "Warriors win the NRL."

"Phew. At least Dopey's still alive," she thinks.

- Herald on Sunday

Leber

Bench
I'd buy two new wingers and a prop.

Manu is out if form and it's possibly going to be his last year. Matulino needs to start the year in ISP to get his form back

vvvrulz

Coach
Need a real six and a real winger to join Fus, providing RTS comes back.

A top tier prop would a bonus, but I don't think our forwards on paper are a big problem.

Reactions: JJ

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I know where to find the best wingers, the All Blacks. More so the AB potential players. Henry should pull what strings that he has with the union world. Theres some good players there like; Patrick Osbourne, Riecho Ioane, Namani Nadolo (Fiji Union), Matt Duffy, Ben Lam etc..

There has been some good first five eights transition to stand-off in league quite comfortably in the past, like Botica and Lavea. You could even look at their second five eigths to play stand-off as the skill sets is the same but more so the physiques. From that they could chase; Piers Francis, Ihaia West, Stephen Donald, Damien McKenzie (dont know if he will be an AB) etc..

We might not need to look abroad.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Manu is out if form and it's possibly going to be his last year. Matulino needs to start the year in ISP to get his form back

Geez, you reckon that's the best way to get Ben back to form? I reckon that'd be a slow and painful way of sending him to another club. As far as I know, Kearney rates Ben and vice versa. He needs a big off-season and to be treated as he is, our marquee prop. In the early stages of 2016 he was treated like a chump, not a guy who was 2016 POTY.

Two new wingers and a prop does sound good though. No way Ken can be involved and needs to find a new position, Manu I wouldn't rule out but could be on the way out. Wouldn't be great if Kearney could pull the strings for someone like Kahu.

Geez, you reckon that's the best way to get Ben back to form? I reckon that'd be a slow and painful way of sending him to another club. As far as I know, Kearney rates Ben and vice versa. He needs a big off-season and to be treated as he is, our marquee prop. In the early stages of 2016 he was treated like a chump, not a guy who was 2016 POTY.

Two new wingers and a prop does sound good though. No way Ken can be involved and needs to find a new position, Manu I wouldn't rule out but could be on the way out. Wouldn't be great if Kearney could pull the strings for someone like Kahu.

I think Kearney will get Kahu over somehow be an awesome signing for our backs and team in general

JJ

Immortal
I know where to find the best wingers, the All Blacks. More so the AB potential players. Henry should pull what strings that he has with the union world. Theres some good players there like; Patrick Osbourne, Riecho Ioane, Namani Nadolo (Fiji Union), Matt Duffy, Ben Lam etc..

There has been some good first five eights transition to stand-off in league quite comfortably in the past, like Botica and Lavea. You could even look at their second five eigths to play stand-off as the skill sets is the same but more so the physiques. From that they could chase; Piers Francis, Ihaia West, Stephen Donald, Damien McKenzie (dont know if he will be an AB) etc..

We might not need to look abroad.

Did you really just say Stephen Donald...

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Did you really just say Stephen Donald...
Yeah I know BUT compare him to Robson and some other halves out there in the NRL. Even at his old age he might still go ok??...well he can kick goals and 40/20s and hes got a decent fend and a knack for the chip and chase that old Stacey use to do every now and then. Yeah maybe nah. The others I mentioned are good though!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hugh McGahan just On Veitch's show.
Adamant that Manu and Ben must go...

Hugh McGahan is a f**king crook. So let's not give a shit what he says. And his columns make it crystal clear that he doesn't watch much league, either.

Matulino has just personally denied on social media that he is leaving.

Benek

Juniors

Why do we need two new wingers? Fus will be a great winger once we have RTS back at #1.

MKEB...

Staff member
Hugh McGahan is another of todays league "Rent-a-quotes". Hi s columns are simply to get readers/clicks from his name and of being a former kiwi captain. I personally lost faith in his opines years ago.

He rates with Cam McGgregor in my opinion.

Hugh McGahan is another of todays league "Rent-a-quotes". Hi s columns are simply to get readers/clicks from his name and of being a former kiwi captain. I personally lost faith in his opines years ago.

He rates with Cam McGgregor in my opinion.
exactly bro about rent a quote

lowies opinion must be due soon

spear tackle

Juniors
I'm betting no one in FG apart from those of contract will be going nowhere, so if theres a player clean out it'll be RG players that had yet to play FG they'll then tell everyone they purged to ones causing the FG woes and everything is good.
New coach will gee the side up for a bit of early success but we'll be back to collapsing on field in a few games. Coach will be blamed and the cycle will repeat yet again.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just came across a matulino to manly or the Knights rumour that came from Veitch, dismissed it as soon as I saw the source which is a shame because I wouldn't mind him !!

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench

A top tier prop would a bonus, but I don't think our forwards on paper are a big problem.

Our forwards are paper and it is a big problem.

Latest posts