What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player strike

T-Boon

Coach
I'd like to see the Players Association and the players take a leadership role in things that will bring more money into the game.
Things like playing in quarters, going to 11 men and extending the game by stopping the clock when the ball is out of play and getting rid of wrestling (by going back to 5 metres).
I have heard individual players express their disgust at all the wrestling training through the off season and through the week. The players need to get together and put forward an opinion on these things.

ed-grimley

Bench
And as if players are going to strike anyway.

What are they going to fall back on if it goes pear shaped, the Certificate II they got in cinema toilet cleaning from an online course? Most players don't have any other career going for them.
JT doesn't need to plan for a career - he has three jobs waiting for him. No such situation for lesser players.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If the NRL had balls in this fight... they would send every origin player a $30k fine for wearing those crap RLPA caps...

Non approved uniform at official events like press conferences, are a serious offence..

What if Cam smith wore a NRMA hat offending the major sponsor.. or why not a FORD hat, pissing off HOLDEN..

Cant believe the NRL as just happy to roll with it

ed-grimley

Bench
LOL
How many NRL players are there that contribute to the game?
400 top tier, but 400 alone doesn't make a game. Need all the grassroots work to ensure talent is farmed and grown into more JT's and Smiths.
So multiple thousands and thousands of players, parents, local clubs etc all contributing to this $1B game.

5 year deal wasn't it?
So $200M a year game.
lol WTF.

My employer does $6b a year in revenue, its bigger than the NRL and James Maloney will ever be.
I am not asking for more pay, im happy to be paid a fair salary for my work, experience and contribution.

These merkins think they are God!
Look at the shit Ben Hunt is going to be paid.

For the work he does, thats just f**king mental.
I wouldn't think people would turn up and pay to watch you work.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
28% is more than reasonable. If the game can't afford to pay the players 28%, where is all the money going?

Most employers spend about 25-30% of revenue on employee wages..

The NRL as a $500 m a year business would have 25% dedicated to all the actual workers at Moore park, and the hundreds of development officers, referees, ground managers, etc

Then they have to add 28% to the players.. now there 53% gone..

Add in .. rent of offices, cost of bunker, cost of junior development, cost of digital , cost of hell of a lot of other things..

Even getting sponsors like telstra, bundaberg , coates hire etc... cost money to on board... you would need 5-6 Business Dev Managers on 100k each minimum to manage and sell these sponsorships..

T-Boon

Coach
Then they have to add 28% to the players.. now there 53% gone..

Dont forget that if the players get 28% that amount plus an additional 30% of that amount goes to the clubs so its really 36%. So that extra 8% goes to pay increases to for example Gould, Bellamy and the wrestling coaches etc.

Munted

Bench
Haha.
Yeah crowd figures are f**king through the roof huh.
Who cares that they are being watched 'as they work'?
Their work is the product being sold here, doesn't matter if it's a physical product, a service such as live sport or entertainment.

insert.pause

First Grade
Dont forget that if the players get 28% that amount plus an additional 30% of that amount goes to the clubs so its really 36%. So that extra 8% goes to pay increases to for example Gould, Bellamy and the wrestling coaches etc.
no it doesn't, the revised MoU guarantees clubs $13m annually, regardless of what the cap ends up. Which means the higher the cap, the lower the funds available to clubs to invest in the business and become financially sustainable. A 29%, not 28%, share of total game revenue would mean that of that $13m club grant, clubs would get essentially nothing.

ed-grimley

Bench
Haha.
Yeah crowd figures are f**king through the roof huh.
Who cares that they are being watched 'as they work'?
Their work is the product being sold here, doesn't matter if it's a physical product, a service such as live sport or entertainment.
WTF are you on about?

T-Boon

Coach
no it doesn't, the revised MoU guarantees clubs $13m annually, regardless of what the cap ends up.

No, they ended up getting 130%. I am 60% certain of it. If I am wrong (I am not) I will hand in my League Unlimited membership.

Burwood

Bench
No, they ended up getting 130%. I am 60% certain of it. If I am wrong (I am not) I will hand in my League Unlimited membership.

How can the clubs be getting a $13m grant, based on 130% of the salary cap, when there isn't even a salary cap in place for next year? :confused:

insert.pause

First Grade
yes, but it's capped at $13m, which is why clubs without leagues club backing are fighting for a lower salary cap, otherwise as soon as the cap exceeds $10m that additional 30% starts to fall.

Pedge1971

First Grade

Correct. They are entertainment and the people prepared to watch them has been on a downward trend.

Why?

I teckon it is the whole bullshit around exploding payments thetefore costs to attend, the rlpa shit and scheduling that had people sick of it.

In the workplace environment I worked in u went to your boss with ideas and a plan for execution. You won the remit and if u landed it you got more cash.

Here they are offering to help promote the game for a stake when they have no plan or strategyto make it better.

Infact they have nothing but them. So strike and kill the golden goose u pricks cause people will fill your arrogant gap quickly. The game cannot afford your claim right now. Sort out nrl hq first.

Fix the guys on unders and take it off the Smiths and Maloneys.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No problem with a cap of $10mill a year, no increase over the life of the tv deal. That's around 60% of the media deal which seems fair. Tpa and rep payments are on top remember so the top tier players can earn a motza more. What I would like to see is min wage go up, that would hit the so called superstars but at least help the squad players out.

Players are kidding themselves asking for a share of consolidated revenue, what if clubs keep losing money?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
No problem with a cap of $10mill a year, no increase over the life of the tv deal. That's around 60% of the media deal which seems fair. Tpa and rep payments are on top remember so the top tier players can earn a motza more. What I would like to see is min wage go up, that would hit the so called superstars but at least help the squad players out.

Players are kidding themselves asking for a share of consolidated revenue, what if clubs keep losing money?

They want a share of club revenue , not club profit..

In theory if say Roosters make $20 million revenue a year.. $13M grant and $7M sponsors / merch / members / LC grant

Players want 28% of the $7M..

They dont care if Roosters spend $21m a year..

Latest posts