Player welfare

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Bests Golden Boots, May 14, 2018.

1. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Juniors

What idiot in his right mind, see a player injure his hip, have to come off the field, cannot train all week, and still selects him to play the following weekend.
    JDB is having the season of his life, almost a certainty for Origin, and McMuppet still tells him to go out and play on one leg, and without an extra forward on the bench to top it off.
    If he’s out for any extended period now, we know who to send the Get Well Soon cards too.

While I’m on the subject. Payne Haas.
    How, in this day and age, when we know the dangers of playing concussed, does an 18y.o kid, who’s brains is still developing, get to run out on the field a week after getting knocked senseless?
    The NRL needs to step on and start standing players down after getting knocked out, it can’t be left up to the clubs anymore.

2. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Juniors

Our team leads the comp & it's very simple......any player that is busted, should be rested and given time to fully recover.
    It's a long year and we need our best players to be fit and firing at seasons end and not burnt out.
    Give the young blokes a decent opportunity by rotating and utilising the roster. That's why you have the bloody thing!

Tuddy, blacksafake, hazzbeen and 5 others like this.
  3. Zucchini

Zucchini Juniors

Until the NRL employ independent doctors to rule on all things medical, "player welfare" will continue to be a joke and the game will be leave itself open to having its arse sued.

Gareth67 and Bests Golden Boots like this.
  4. Gareth67

Gareth67 Bench

In today's Telegraph ( page 5 ) there is a sad story of a young chap , only 22 years of age who died in the locker room on Saturday . He played for the Dapto Canaries and took ill and was found later in the change rooms , unfortunately the young man had passed on .

Very sad for his family and teammates . Whether he had suffered an injury on the field it does not say , but as you gentlemen above have said the NRL can not afford to take any chances whatsoever .

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 Juniors

BGB's ............. I must admit l had similar thoughts about JDB when l saw him early in the game.
    I was thinking, he should not be playing.

Mr Towball-Head obviously had other ideas. As many of us tend to think, the next month will display a few realities.

As far as Payne goes .............. its obvious he got a Payne in the head, not the Haas.

Saints Forever likes this.
  6. AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos Coach

Who's call is it for JDB to play?
    medical staff
    coaching staff
    JDB
    or a combination of all 3

7. Old Timer

Old Timer First Grade

Didn't train all week so I guess that is the medical staff but did get selected and did play so I suggest that is the coach.
    Mc Fookknuckle could have easily said have a week off and chose not to.

8. Bests Golden Boots

Could have, didn't, Frizell playing busted for the second half of last year springs to mind.

2010 and blacksafake like this.
  9. slippery5

slippery5 Juniors

It's decisions like this prevents me from forgetting all the negative thoughts I have on this coach, I don't care where we are running, his management of the bench is laughable.

10. Bests Golden Boots

Yeah, leading the comp or not, it's laughable to suggest all our problems have magically disappeared

11. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

To answer your 1st question L plate was the idiot

Coffs dragon likes this.
  12. 2010

2010 Juniors

A weeks rest for JDB was a no brainer. Terrible decision to play him. Did that game further hinder him recovering from that injury. NO. Did it make his injury worse, probably did.
    McIdiot this is up there with his best decisions made last year. I hope JDB is not picked this week unless he is 100% fit.