What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players holding the club to ransom

Anonymous

Juniors
With all the constant talk of players with their get out clauses, I think a point needs to be raised. If these players are in fact willing to use such a clause (presuming they have one in their contract in the first place) a question obviously needs to be asked...

Where do such players loyalty lie?

Is it with their club, or with their coach?

For example - and this is purely hypothetical - if Phil Bailey was to walk out because Chris Anderson was punted, I personally would be saying good riddance. Because let's not forget that while these players might have a strong connection to their coach (which is certainly fair enough) they are ultimately playing for Cronulla and that is where their loyalty should lie.

Who would you rather representing your team? A player of the calibre of Dean Treister, who would die for his club, or a player of the calibre of Chris Walker, who when the going gets tough, decides to pull up stumps and leave?

I know which one I'd rather have.

The club can't be held to ransom by its players.

SirShire

First Grade
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Dean Treister was the heart and soul of the Sharkies, a true clubman.

Punk

Juniors
I don't think Treister was the heart and soul of the Sharks. Rather, he was with the Sharks heart and soul. He wasn't the most vital player at the Sharks. To say that he was is to ignore players like David Peachey, and debase the idea of a team. Yes he was a good player with alot of passion, hence being with the Sharks heart and soul, but he was not the heart and soul.

wittyfan

Referee
It was in Rebecca Wilson's column today that Vagana has a "get out" clause in his contract which he wants to take up if Anderson does go. Well if that's the case then Vagana can fug off!!!! :x

Special K

Coach
Vagana has no such thing. But if he some how did and never played a game for us that would do me I think...

boborogers

Juniors
guys i don't care if they all leave - i just want my club back... id rather come last with players who love the club then players who play for money/rings/coaches/ rep jerseys ect... watching Penrith win reminded me of how our club was b4 this Ando drama.... just give back our club damn it thats all we ask right guys, thats all we ask !!

SirShire

First Grade
He wasnt the greatest player to wear the blue, white and black, but he played with passion and I admire him for that.

Macca

Coach
I'll say this. If Ando coaches us next year and we do well, then all these posts were a waste of time. These players who have get out clauses will struggle to find an NRL club with room in their salary cap anyway, they would end up in England.

Latest posts