What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players on loan ? Idea

Robbie 12

Juniors
hi all,
I was just talk with a mate of mine, about players getting injuries all time and you miss out or waste that large piece of salary cap because your best player is out like us with Inglis and like Cowboys with Jonathan Thurston

How about we introduce " players on Loan idea" for example Thurston is out for the year but there is still three months left, we can get a player on loan from Melbourne that is stuck behind cooper Cronk ...better for the younger player ...that would give a chance to get some first grade experience, then he can return Back to his club after,

that way quality players that are out on the sidelines injuried won't waste valuable salary cap space, and they can be filled with players on loan, like players from England can come out on loan, they can get a taste of the NRL that way they can see if they like it, verse versa players from oz can go to England on loan too

Can arrange a salary cap exemption for injuried players out for year can be replaced by players on loan

Player like Thurston million dollar player still counts in the salary cab but you can't use him because his injured, so you are a million short of your salary cap,

So you have that option to sign two or three players on loan to replace him not going to cost you on salary cap, maybe the team getting the player can pay a percentage the the other club at very least and that player coming out of that club there wages can be taken out of the clubs cap ... Try to make a win win situation

What you guys think ? It sounded like a good idea

Travitoh

First Grade
It works in competitions that have relegation/promotion but not in a league like NRL.

Who would we have gotten in on loan to replace GI? And how much better would that player be than AJ? Why should we put games into another clubs junior when we have our own? Also, if we had gotten someone else in to play FB ahead of AJ, would he have remained with the club?

It works in soccer because a second division side can bring in a player from a top division side who is talented but not quite at the top level yet. The second division side gains a player who is first team quality and the top division side has a way to get games into the player without jeopardising their own cause.

In the NRL however you don't have this. It's a one tiered competition and no coach is going to jeopardise their own depth by sending a quality player across to a rival. If anyone got sent out on loan it'd be guys no where near the first team which defeats the purpose of seeking a loanee to join the club.

It's not the worst idea, unfortunately if it was put into practice it wouldn't work out as intended.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It works in competitions that have relegation/promotion but not in a league like NRL.

Who would we have gotten in on loan to replace GI? And how much better would that player be than AJ? Why should we put games into another clubs junior when we have our own? Also, if we had gotten someone else in to play FB ahead of AJ, would he have remained with the club?

It works in soccer because a second division side can bring in a player from a top division side who is talented but not quite at the top level yet. The second division side gains a player who is first team quality and the top division side has a way to get games into the player without jeopardising their own cause.

In the NRL however you don't have this. It's a one tiered competition and no coach is going to jeopardise their own depth by sending a quality player across to a rival. If anyone got sent out on loan it'd be guys no where near the first team which defeats the purpose of seeking a loanee to join the club.

It's not the worst idea, unfortunately if it was put into practice it wouldn't work out as intended.
Nailed it.

Robbie 12

Juniors

True I understand what your talking about, I might not work, but just a waste of salary cap when Inglis was out, Aj was or is a better winger then full back,

but I think the NRL has gotta do something about wasted injured players that there wages still count in the salary cap even when that can't play,

just that every time I watch other sports like NBA or the English Premier league I hear the commentator Say that player is on loan ... It's a shame thou

Pommy

Coach
True I understand what your talking about, I might not work, but just a waste of salary cap when Inglis was out, Aj was or is a better winger then full back,

but I think the NRL has gotta do something about wasted injured players that there wages still count in the salary cap even when that can't play,

just that every time I watch other sports like NBA or the English Premier league I hear the commentator Say that player is on loan ... It's a shame thou

The big difference is EPL and NBA don’t have a salary cap. The issue is the salary cap in my opinion lets get shot of that. Bring in transfer fees for players so clubs who develop players are rewarded for their efforts and hopefully a few Sydney clubs will over extend themselves and fall away allowing the NRL to expand without having to cull anyone.

Travitoh

First Grade

The NBA doesn't have a loan system.

If you lose $1m of salary cap to injury then that's unfortunate but that's sport. That's why your 18th/19th/20th man isn't a scrubber on minimum wage. Your best 17 might win you a premiership but it's your depth that gets you there during the season and no club would weaken their own so they can strengthen another club.
GI was a huge loss but no club would give up someone even close to that standard for us to borrow. At best we'd be getting someone like Justin Hunt from Wests. NQ wouldn't have gotten Croft or Jacks from the Storm to replace JT, they would've gotten Scott Drinkwater.

Even in the EPL, clubs don't loan out kids who'll make appearances from the bench to Championship clubs, they loan out those who'd spend all season in the development league.

Travitoh

First Grade
The big difference is EPL and NBA don’t have a salary cap. The issue is the salary cap in my opinion lets get shot of that. Bring in transfer fees for players so clubs who develop players are rewarded for their efforts and hopefully a few Sydney clubs will over extend themselves and fall away allowing the NRL to expand without having to cull anyone.

Not the worst idea I've heard.
I would like to see a 'home grown' discount toward the cap for clubs bringing players through their own youth setup. The longer the player is at the club, the higher the discount.

Pommy

Coach
Not the worst idea I've heard.
I would like to see a 'home grown' discount toward the cap for clubs bringing players through their own youth setup. The longer the player is at the club, the higher the discount.

Why would it be the worst idea? Not many other sports need to operate this way. We’re hamstrung by clubs that should have got their act together or died off already.

Travitoh

First Grade
Why would it be the worst idea? Not many other sports need to operate this way. We’re hamstrung by clubs that should have got their act together or died off already.

I wasn't saying it was.
I'm the kind of person who says "not bad" when something is good.

My fear would be that the expansion areas wouldn't get the backing required to compete with the established clubs and struggle as a result.

callmack1

Staff member

Spot on bro.

Pommy

Coach
I wasn't saying it was.
I'm the kind of person who says "not bad" when something is good.

My fear would be that the expansion areas wouldn't get the backing required to compete with the established clubs and struggle as a result.

But we have clubs now that couldn’t compete in a free market system. I do understand what your concern is but I don’t believe the system should allow for everyone to potentially win the comp. it should be down to clubs to put themselves in a position to win it.