What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players question the RLPA

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
SENIOR representative stars are fed up with a chronic lack of support from the Rugby League Professionals Association (RLPA), which will soon be led by a solicitor with links to the NRL.
On the back of a disgruntled groundswell among players, a special Daily Telegraph investigation into the RLPA's activities has discovered:
The RLPA has not lodged a single financial report to the Australian Industrial Relations Commission (AIRC) since 2004.
The RLPA is primarily funded by the 16 clubs, with each franchise siphoning $20,000 from their NRL annual grant to pay the union. The Top 25 players are then charged $300 each for membership, leaving their employer to foot the rest of the bill.
Incoming RLPA boss David Garnsey is a partner with top-tier law firm Minter Ellison, which has represented the NRL in a number of matters and is currently handling Canberra's defence of Bronx Goodwin's unfair dismissal claim.
Goodwin and fellow industrial claimant Reni Maitua were only availed a one-off briefing with RLPA-sanctioned law firm Slater & Gordon. Neither has received any further support from the RLPA, with former boss Matt Rodwell "overlooking" Maitua's hearing in April.
After de-registering from the AIRC in May last year, the RLPA spent eight months without any corporate reporting requirements until it re-registered in January.
Players are now preparing to abandon the union in favour of the newly-formed Player Agent Association (PAA), which is on standby to represent them in the upcoming round of negotiations for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
At present, over 90 per cent of the 400 contracted players are RLPA members. But a ballooning segment is now having second thoughts, questioning how membership fees have been appropriated in the absence of any breakthroughs in longstanding grievances such as rep player toll, third party sponsorships, medical expenses and royalties.
At the heart of their concerns is the perceived conflict of interest the RLPA has carried since agreeing to accept club funding in 2007. Players feel their union no longer has the independence to fight their employers - who effectively balance its books each season.
After starring in Wednesday night's Origin opener, Jonathan Thurston and Craig Wing decided to speak out.

"I'm not really sure where our money is going," Thurston said.

"As a rep player, I've got major concerns about the toll of playing so much football takes on my body and what it will mean for me after football. We've made these concerns pretty well known publicly, but the RLPA seems to do nothing about it.

"You'd have to have serious thoughts about signing up again next year. I just can't see the benefit any longer and I know a lot of blokes feel the same way."
Wing, who was instrumental in enlisting players to the RLPA as a delegate at the Roosters three years ago, added: "They told us we'd have far better bargaining power if everyone signed up, so that's what we did,
"Now we've done our bit, I'd like to ask the question, what's being done in return?"
The RLPA issued a written response to The Daily Telegraph, claiming it had lodged financial returns to the AIRC in 2005 and 2006.
But an AIRC official it was still waiting for the past three years' accounts to arrive.
It said Garnsey will no longer work at Minter Ellison upon assuming the reins from Rodwell on 1 July, but didn't address conflict of interest concerns that Goodwin's legal team have raised.
Asked about Rodwell's failure to accompany Maitua to April's hearing against his former club the Bulldogs, the RLPA replied: "The Maitua affair is clouded by misinformation.
"The matter is still being investigated internally and the Association will make its position clear once the investigation has concluded."
With the current CBA expiring at the end of next season, the RLPA now has a fight on its hands to represent the players.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25593196-5006066,00.html

davi

Juniors
Just more on the RLPA.

RLPA insist the players get a cut of the profits from the NRL. I don't know I'm skeptical about this. Some of these players are on a pretty good wicket as it is, and I'm not sure its in the interests of the game to do this considering that you already hear reports of clubs bleeding.

And for just for the record, I"m someone who has always been for the worker and have never supported big business getting massive tax cuts while workers on the bottom end are losing their penalty rates. I'm not talking about work places in general but this idea from the RLPA. Some of these players in first grade salaries (Daly Cherry-Evans, Aaron Woods, Trent Merrin, Josh Dugan and Corey Norman) hardly can be compared to Australia's lowest income earners.

Also wanting a "fixed share of the revenue" is a very general term and could mean anything (TV deal, Sponsorship, Merchandise, gates takings etc)

"Dozens of the game's leading players emerged on Monday night declaring it was "essential" that the NRL agree to give them a fixed share of the code's revenue in pay talks, saying they hoped their objectives could be achieved civilly.

Daly Cherry-Evans, Aaron Woods, Trent Merrin, Josh Dugan and Corey Norman were among a generous turnout at Rugby League Players' Association annual general meeting at Sydney Olympic Park, while players from interstate also followed proceedings by video link.

Melbourne and Test captain Cameron Smith was elected as the organisation's new general president, replacing Clint Newton, and the players emerged as a united front in seeking a fundamental change to the way in which the game's revenue is distributed. "The players want a fixed share of the revenue," Cronulla five-eighth and RLPA board member James Maloney said.

"We want to all be incentivised to grow the game. If we're genuine partners in the game and we're getting a percentage of the revenue then it's in our best interests to grow the game and make it better. It's not about trying to get anything ridiculous and reasonable. It's just about getting value, I suppose, for what we contribute to the game."

The players' union is yet to publicly nominate a percentage figure in terms of the share of revenue they are seeking but Maloney described concept in principle as "essential" to coming to a new collective bargaining agreement with the NRL.

"As a playing group that's what it is. It's not just this playing group. It's the kids that are playing at low level," he said. Negotiations for a new five-year deal are already under way and the players are adamant they will hold firm even if the NRL does not come to the table on a revenue-sharing agreement.

"There are ways we can sort of strengthen our voice but hopefully it doesn't come to that. We'd like to do it all civilly. We want to be partners in the game. We're not here to try to force it in a different direction or create a fracture in the game. We want to grow the game. It's just about making sure we're getting fairly treated in the meantime."

RLPA chief executive Ian Prendergast said the proposed pay structure was "the fairest and best system to remunerate players based on their contribution".

"Now we've got, essentially, a bit of a mandate from players we can move forward with a bit of confidence in the next phase of the negotiation," he said.

Prendergast also hailed the election of Smith as the RLPA's new figurehead.

"It's a huge coup for the association," he said. "Now he's not only speaking on his behalf as Australian captain and Melbourne Storm captain but as the general president of the RLPA."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nrl-revenue-in-pay-talks-20170327-gv7pjj.html

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So.. if the salary cap increases as a result of the increased Tv rights, isn't that the players sharing in the profits?

This is starting to get a super league smell about it..

So.. if the salary cap increases as a result of the increased Tv rights, isn't that the players sharing in the profits?

This is starting to get a super league smell about it..

No, the RLPA are just taking their cues from what happened in US sports, notably the NFL and the NBA where in those sports, the players get affixed share of "whole of the game" revenue which is tied to the size of each sports salary cap.

As to going on strike roughyedspud, ask Major league Baseball what happened there. The players crushed the owners after they took strike action so they have no real salary cap. The NFL players took strike action, and there have been labour ructions in the NBA over the last 20 years also. Just cause it hasn't happened here yet doesn't mean it mightn't.

roughyedspud

Coach
I'm fully aware of the CBA strikes in us sports over the last 20 years or so...I also think it's daft to compare the NRL to NBA,MLB & NFL,firstly cos of the number of games the play in basketball & baseball, 80+ & 140+ games and the billions of $ sloshing around all three sports..

Compared to the NRL where all but a couple of clubs lose millions every year,the NRL itself lost nigh on 3million last year..And,apparently 92% of all the TV revenue already goes to the clubs (players) and states...

So where is this extra money they want?

I'm fully aware of the CBA strikes in us sports over the last 20 years or so...I also think it's daft to compare the NRL to NBA,MLB & NFL,firstly cos of the number of games the play in basketball & baseball, 80+ & 140+ games and the billions of $ sloshing around all three sports..

Compared to the NRL where all but a couple of clubs lose millions every year,the NRL itself lost nigh on 3million last year..And,apparently 92% of all the TV revenue already goes to the clubs (players) and states...

So where is this extra money they want?

You say "92% of all the TV revenue already goes to the clubs (players) and states...", the thing is that does not all go to the players at all. In fact I think I red it is estimated the NRL players currently earn 25% of all revenue that comes into the game - remember TV revenue is not the only revenue stream. Davi posted the article up thread, published today, which gives you an idea of what the RLPA are talking about, but I think you will find they are talking all of game revenue, not just TV revenue. What exactly that includes, I have not heard anyone say. That is probably part of their negotiations.

siv

First Grade
With a Salary Cap of $7 it cost a NRL club $20 mil to run

Everyone wants a bigger slice of the pie

You cannot grow the game if all of the pie goes to the elite 10 players at every club

Perth Red

Post Whore
Give them a fixed % then dock that % 0.2% every time a player does something dumb or criminal and damages the games brand and therefore earning power. Before long the players will be paying to play lol

I have no problem with a fixed % of all revenue going on players salary and welfare, it just needs to be at an amount that doesn't stifle sustainability and growth of the game from jnrs right through to elite. Locking clubs in to 130% of salary cap is going to screw the game for the next 5 years Imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to mention paying the bookies and the ex girlfriends off. It's expensive being a professional sportsman!

myrrh ken

First Grade
So dumb question but if the rlpa is paid by the clubs and the nrl, what incentive does it have to take them on on player issues?

Would it ever go through strike action etc

Canard

Immortal
Yet another negative DT article that undermines the public perception in our game.

Completely invented premise, sensationalist writing and deliberately damaging to the code.

ed-grimley

Bench
No, the RLPA are just taking their cues from what happened in US sports, notably the NFL and the NBA where in those sports, the players get affixed share of "whole of the game" revenue which is tied to the size of each sports salary cap.

As to going on strike roughyedspud, ask Major league Baseball what happened there. The players crushed the owners after they took strike action so they have no real salary cap. The NFL players took strike action, and there have been labour ructions in the NBA over the last 20 years also. Just cause it hasn't happened here yet doesn't mean it mightn't.
Compared to these organisations RL is a povvo sport.

Knight76

Juniors
It's certainly chicken feed compared to the us sports. But, that is irrelevant.

What is relevant is if the players are not happy with the RLPA and form another union, it signals they are not happy jan, and if they are going to start demanding a larger slice of the pie then strike action is a very real possibility.

If you don't think players making a stand about their pay is heading towards strike action if the NRL doesn't agree, your kidding yourself!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's certainly chicken feed compared to the us sports. But, that is irrelevant.

What is relevant is if the players are not happy with the RLPA and form another union, it signals they are not happy jan, and if they are going to start demanding a larger slice of the pie then strike action is a very real possibility.

If you don't think players making a stand about their pay is heading towards strike action if the NRL doesn't agree, your kidding yourself!

I wonder what happens if a second Players Union is formed...

Do we get 2 salary caps for players attached to each group?

A second union? The RLPA just elected Cameron Smith from the Melbourne Storm as its new President in place of Clint Newton and James Maloney is another who's on its board. I suggest you stop drinking the Kool Aid people. The RLPA is run by the players and they control it.

Last edited:

Knight76

Juniors
I have no idea if there will be a second players union. Just commented from the mention of it above.

simmo05

Bench
Wonder if the government is going to introduce an abcc type commision to jail strikers and bust up their union?