What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players signing for new clubs more than 12 months in advance is destroying the game

Saxon

Bench
AFL does't seem to have the same issue of club switching generally and in Melbourne in particular. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not to anywhere near the same extent.
That's what a draft and restricted free agency does for you.

Munted

Bench
Could anyone here imagine signing up to work at your current competitor for 2019?
Yeah.
It's called gardening leave.
Or, you move them to another business unit or division that is so far removed from the regular day to day that they have zero connections to the main job and can't mess with business as usual.

RLPA should have no influence if a coach wants to kick a player to reserves due to signing elsewhere.

siv

First Grade
First we had the Mundine and Tallis debacle

So we brought in a Jun 30/Rd13 deadline

Which while not perfect was better than signing 1 plus year out

Only issue was - it was in the middle of SOO

Personally I would prefer a 3/4 season like Rd 22 NRL registration commencement date eg Aug 1

Players then have 3 months to sign and relocate for a Nov 1 training start

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Situation sucks, but we have a lot of talented guys coming through or coming off contract. Money can now help secure them.

If Chrichton leaves this season so be it. The amount of expectations on the roosters with cronk, teddy and possibly Chrichton next will be sky high. Wouldn't it be a shame if they fell short.:thinking:

It has been going on a long time this scenario, decades in fact.

Bozo in many ways pioneered it. He'd spot a great young up and comer and say I want to talk to you and your father after watching the kid play. He'd say, what are you doing the next couple of years? The kid would answer "I'm in the Parramatta system for now". The immediate follow up question was "what are you doing after that"? A contract was quickly organised forthwith and the kid would end up at Manly some time later on down the track. They got some great players through Bozo.

One of the earliest examples I can think of is Ron Gibbs in 1987. He was playing at Manly, and they were well in the premiership hunt when mid-season he announced he'd signed for the Gold Coast Chargers for their inaugural season in 1998. What happened? He stayed in first grade and helped Manly to a Premiership that year.

Another is Luke Bailey. He was off contract at the end of 2006. In mid-2005 he announced he'd signed a 3 year deal with the Gold Coast Titans for their inaugural season in 2007. I don't recall anyone accusing him of not putting in for the Dragons.

Yes it can be annoying. However, don't always assume a player who signs for elsewhere is not going to try. It lacks professionalism if they don't, and they would know it would effect future contract negotions.

Zadar

Juniors
Situation sucks, but we have a lot of talented guys coming through or coming off contract. Money can now help secure them.

If Chrichton leaves this season so be it. The amount of expectations on the roosters with cronk, teddy and possibly Chrichton next will be sky high. Wouldn't it be a shame if they fell short.:thinking:

Roosters are missing a center and a front rower to win the comp, Folau and Walmsley should help if available.

Yeah.
It's called gardening leave.
Or, you move them to another business unit or division that is so far removed from the regular day to day that they have zero connections to the main job and can't mess with business as usual.

RLPA should have no influence if a coach wants to kick a player to reserves due to signing elsewhere.

Yeh so what’s the equivalent for critchon here? Won’t play against the rooters? :rolling_eyes:

POPEYE

Coach
RL is sorta kinda turning full circle, in the 80's Arko's Seagles were the 'hated ones' and now we have the Roosters filling the void. If Sydney Outrage supplants Melbourne Jealousy it's ok as far as I'm concerned, at least the right club has no excuse for an off season

Seems the only real complainants are those without an answer to the Salary Cap, the Cowboys/Storm/Broncos won't seem overly concerned about playing the Roosters. In the 80's the mighty Dogs/Eels didn't take shit from the Seagles, it was the teams without answers that needed a cap to beat Manly

The Salary Cap is as useful as the Bible in a motel room drawer, stopping smart operators equally as impossible as stopping naughty husbands/wives. What the NRL hasn't realised is the baddies are using the cap as a weapon . . . long live the Peaky Blinders

DC_fan

Coach
2 years out???

Try one year.

While the 2019 officially starts, I believe in November 2018, what I am getting at is the playing season is two years away. Or if you want to be real picky a year and four months away. Regardless of how you want to look at the exact timing we have another full season of football to go through that hasn’t even started yet.

Liddell

Juniors

He’ll be their highest paid forward, earning more than guys who have won comps, bled for them. Even more than their current captain. You know as a fan his injury history too.

I wish we kept him but paying massive overs based on a few good games is what got our cap in to such a mess in the first place.

Munted

Bench
Won't happen. Not allowed to do it.
Why not?

These players/RLPA are given too much control.

Any other business, you go to a competitor and being walked or shoved into another area is common practise and accepted as fair game.