What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help Us Expand RL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to hear everyone discussing expansion but the intention of this thread was not to open up old arguments about if the Bears, Jets or Reds should be in. More so to give RL fans who love the game and want to see it grow and expand an opportunity to play a part by supporting the expansion of the game into the West. Once again for those that do here is the link to membership details, thanks to those already committing and I hope many more join us in our quest to get Perth into the NRL.

http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/data/client/files/1320_wa_reds_membership_packages_2011.pdf
http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/data/client/files/1319_wa_reds_membership_2011.pdf

rooster25

Juniors
If the NRL expands they need to actually expand rugby league not just always go to safe already rugby league markets.I think perth is a must,they have a stadium,huge growing population and also it just makes sense that it will provide the NRL with another tv game if 2 clubs are admitted.I might be wrong but im pretty sure perth is ahead 3hrs of sydney so just saying they play all there home games at 630pm on a sat night we could have a game televised at 330pm whenever they are playing at home.I hate it when theres no league on sat arvo to watch and you have afl and club rugby on free to air tv,the NRL says it cant have sat arvo games cause they wont attract crowds this would be a great idea.Perth gets home games on sat nights at always the same time thus growing awareness and people knowing thats when there games will always be on and we in Sydney and qld get a sat arvo game on tv once again.Dont tell me ch 9 or fox wouldnt want that.
I dont think the NRL needs another NSW team however the central coast is a great area and if they use there north sydney area properley too than they have a large area.This would also bring back so many supporters lost to the game when the bears were kicked out of the comp.
So for me perth or WA reds and c c bears for me for season 2013 and they need to tell these clubs soon so they get a build up like the AFL has done with western sydney and the gold coast.
After that and prob 5 yrs down the track i think wellington is a must with another qld side

Goddo

Bench
Welcome to Rugby League youngster. I'm sure when you advance past puberty you will hav time to discover the rich heritage of our great game.

We have been expanding since 1908. Up to 1967 the main comp expanded to keep pace with Sydney's expansion, then in 1982 went to Wollongong and Canberra - arguably the first non League town. We included Perth and Auckland in 1995 - then Super League came along and collapsed it all.

CC has to be next - it is self sufficient and wont need handouts, nor have a huge and hostile neighbour - Ipswitch (a rotten location with sweet FA corporate presence) can ONLY survive if the Broncos approve - and history shows they certainly dont.

Good luck with Perth, but if it cannot fund it's own way forget it.
You are also conveniently ignoring that the catalyst for the media war over league was the question of rationalisation in Sydney - it was on the NSWRL's agenda since the early 80s. The whole idea of a "Super League" was the NSWRL's.

Murdoch just used it to try to take over the game. The idea was sound, the method not.

We need expansion now, in Qld and WA we have the oportunity to do so. Otherwise, we may as well just bring back Newtown as well as the Bears and let the game fade into oblivion.

Already bought a membership this year. I bought 3 WA REDS memberships and in return my friends in Perth bought 5 CCBEARS memberships.

Goddo

Bench
No problem with you saying that.

The issue is that if the Bears don't get approval for entry in 2013, you have 3 options:

1 - expand by just 1 team in 2013. WA Reds become the 17th club.
This won't get an extra game for TV rights each weekend, so your income stream is not what it could be.
Also, with an odd number of teams, there'll be at least 1 with a bye each week. MESSY.

2 - expand by 2 teams in 2013. WA Reds and one of the Queensland bids
There is still a LOT of work to be done on the Central Qld and Ipswitch bids.
Can either of them be match-ready in 2 years? The clock is ticking, and if this is the preferred option of clubs, it needs to be nailed-down ASAP.

3 - Defer expansion until after 2013. Who wants that?

Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm stating the obvious, but the Reds and Bears have got to be pretty confident right now... The clubs need to be careful not to paint themselves into a corner here.

But there is still the big problems with the Bears - they will not add much in terms of TV revenue compared to a non NSW bid - they will just stretch the current resources further in NSW.

This is why the clubs don't want them, no matter how good the bid. I agree with the clubs, because expansion has to be a decision thats for the good of the game as a whole, not just the fans of one particular club thats no longer in the comp, or a region that already watches games and supports other clubs.

I think the NRL may be better off consolidating revenue for a couple of years, then expanding in true expansion areas (WA and Qld) from a position of financial strength.

The longer the process goes on, the less likely the Bears will get the nod.

sharko

Juniors
Ther should be a Central Coast team first and then either WA or another Qld team..the WA Reds have not got a base of juniors to work with so you will be importing players from eastern States and South Pacific and NZ for the next 25 years.
They do not have an adequate league stadium in Perth which is a mammoth expense and time consuming.
So no juniors and no stadium, it a very shaky base for a franchise!

jim_57

Staff member
Ther should be a Central Coast team first and then either WA or another Qld team..the WA Reds have not got a base of juniors to work with so you will be importing players from eastern States and South Pacific and NZ for the next 25 years.
They do not have an adequate league stadium in Perth which is a mammoth expense and time consuming.

:sarcasm:

perth_equity2.jpg

Seems alot better than Toyota Park :lol:

Goddo

Bench

You're an idiot.

They have a junior base, and a Harold Matthews Cup team aimed at having strong graduated junior system in place by 2013.

They have a stadium far superior to your clubs, which has been granted something like $30m by the WA Gov to upgrade it to 30,000 for the Western Force and Perth Glory, and heres the interesting bit - TO BE COMPLETED BY THE START OF THE 2013 NRL/Super Rugby SEASON.

Crawl back under your rock Hobbit.

dimitri

First Grade
You're an idiot.

They have a junior base, and a Harold Matthews Cup team aimed at having strong graduated junior system in place by 2013.

They have a stadium far superior to your clubs, which has been granted something like $30m by the WA Gov to upgrade it to 30,000 for the Western Force and Perth Glory, and heres the interesting bit - TO BE COMPLETED BY THE START OF THE 2013 NRL/Super Rugby SEASON.

:lol:

GO REDS!

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
TV funds the game nowadays, CC wont help in that area.

Another broadbrush bullsh*t justification comment like "not enough quality players".

A CC Bears team will grab existing fans' interest and add 'watchability" like the Titans did. There are numerous fans everywhere (including the norh shore) who will come back in droves to watgh rugby league far more now because the red and black Bears - their first or second team - have a presence in the NRL again.

As time marches, the kids of the central coast and north shore will build a huge TV watching base all over again.

On all arguments, the CC Bears are the smart, logical choice. the biggest risk to the CC Bears is the fraud that the clubs currently going backwards will keep a great new club for the game out - but they will continue to exist in a 'welfare" state and hurt rugby league for the future.

applesauce

Bench

Your a spastic. I am a MASSIVE QLD fan and would nothing more than a 4th team here. The CC has a lot of positives going for , with a few negatives. But what the Reds have is almost priceless for the future of our sport.

Not only do we truly expand (and into AFL heartland) but we have a 3hr difference in time on the east coast. Games can be played at 6;30 in perth and beamed in LIVE to the east coast at 9:30pm on a Friday or Saturday where both games currently on 9 and Fox are delayed.

Perth has to be first in, no excuses, with the Bears and QLD 4 to fight out the 2nd spot, with the Bears currently having their nose infront.

Get a clue and actually follow the future of your sport before you comment on it. :roll::lol:

Allia Venue Management, the managers of nib Stadium welcomes today’s confirmation that a major milestone in the development of the Stadium has been achieved with the Town of Vincent accepting the State Government’s offer for a lease agreement.

Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron said the Town of Vincent had accepted the State Government’s offer of a 50-year lease of nib Stadium.

“This Government has made it clear that our major rectangular codes have been ignored for too long in terms of major infrastructure and, with this announcement, we have taken an important step in delivering our vision for a 25,000 seat stadium for the Western Force and Perth Glory.

“This decision will also assist the West Australian Rugby League in their efforts to establish a WA franchise in the expanded National Rugby League competition,” Mr. Waldron said.

Allia congratulates Minister Terry Waldron and the Town of Vincent in bringing the plans for nib Stadium’s development to fruition.

nib Stadium CEO Peter Bauchop said, “This will be a significant movement forward for the rectangular codes and their respective fans. We look forward to working with all parties involved as this project unfolds and we continue to host world class sporting and entertainment events at nib Stadium.”

The Minister said the redevelopment of Perth Oval was an opportunity for the State Government and the Town of Vincent to build on their strong relationship to realise the vision for a modern rectangular stadium that would meet the needs of a number of sporting codes and enhance the entertainment options for the people of WA.

The end vision for this facility is a 25,000 seat stadium based on the Skilled Park, Gold Coast model; detailed design and planning work is currently under way with building scheduled to commence in 2012.

Link.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
+1 for Perth to be the next NRL Franchise.

While a Central Coast team isn't a terrible move, I think it's a sideways move.

It would contribute little to moving forward in a competition already saturated with NSW teams.

Just my opinion but we need to tap into different markets.

gallagher

Juniors
Another broadbrush bullsh*t justification comment like "not enough quality players".

A CC Bears team will grab existing fans' interest and add 'watchability" like the Titans did. There are numerous fans everywhere (including the norh shore) who will come back in droves to watgh rugby league far more now because the red and black Bears - their first or second team - have a presence in the NRL again.

As time marches, the kids of the central coast and north shore will build a huge TV watching base all over again.

On all arguments, the CC Bears are the smart, logical choice. the biggest risk to the CC Bears is the fraud that the clubs currently going backwards will keep a great new club for the game out - but they will continue to exist in a 'welfare" state and hurt rugby league for the future.

Keep telling yourself that.

Green Machine

First Grade
After your f**kup with Skilled Stadium/Park, you should give up with commenting on stadiums,

Jason Maher

Immortal
I wil buy a Reds membership if I see a Reds fan commit to buying a CC Bears membership. Both teams should never have been booted. The Bears took it upon themselves to move out of Sydney, and should have received the bcking of the NRL in doing so. They also bring 100 years of history to the table. The Reds were the first true expansion team, and the way they were cast aside in favour of the purple scum was a disgrace. The NRL has an opportunity to undo two past wrongs at the same time. As it happens, these two tteams are the only two with a serious case for (re-)admission.

mightybears

Bench
The WARL have been working hard on expanding RL and re establishing the game on the Western seaboard for over 5 years. With expansion of the NRL on the horizon we need true RL fans to stand up and send the NRL a message that we believe our game is good enough and strong enough to be a National game and put AFL in its place as the supposed number one footy code in the country.

How can you help? Sign up and become a member of the WA Reds today. With a strong fans voice the NRL can not ignore the expansion of our great game. A range of memberships are available and details can be found here:

We have a range of options – at the right price too!
Reds Supporter 2011 - $30 2011 / 12 - $55
Joey 2011 - $20 2011 / 12 - $35
Family 2011 - $90 2011 / 12 - $175
Club Member 2011 - $25 2011 / 12 - $45
Foundation Partner 2011 - $25 2011 / 12 - $45
NRL Action Member 2011 only $70

http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/data/client/files/1320_wa_reds_membership_packages_2011.pdf

Thank you for believing in RL, thank you for helping spread the game and we look forward to welcoming you to beautiful Perth in 2013 to see your team play!

The Red Army - WA Reds Supporters Group

Perth Red,

as per Jason above-buy a CCB's and i'll buy a WA Reds membership, click on link in sig!

Peter

Smithtown

Coach
You're an idiot.

Not quite

No U18's, U17's or U15's grades means the Junior base is struggling, however Juniors are not a pre-requisite for a successful expansion bid - witness Melbourne. Plus the mainstay of the Reds SG Ball last season were a dozen imported players from Sydney and that sort of stuff doesn't give locals incentive to perform.

However the stadium is better than Endeavour Field, and given it comfortably houses both Perth Glory and Western Force then it is well up to NRL standards. Not much cover from the rain but - that's if it ever rains anyway.

aidenburke

Juniors
I would love to see Perth back in the NRL, the other side I would like to see (to make it a truly national competition) would be Adelaide. Granted there has been no talk or activity from S.A so it seems it is not on anyone’s radar, I just don’t think we can ignore Australia's 5th largest city (not to mention a good sporting state). It is also interesting to note that in their debut season '97 SL they averaged over 15 000 to home games, 4th highest out of either league! Of course they averaged only 7400 in the unified comp of '98 however, the entire league suffered terribly with an average of just under 11 000.
Considering in just their second season they were ready to grade an S.A junior I think they have a fair bit of potential.
Anyway, what does everyone else think, I like the idea of opening the game up to more juniors, after all, and people will never take up the sport if they never have the option!