What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMXIII Game - Time for a rethink?

jim_57

Staff member
I think this game is a great annual fixture but I think it needs a bit of a rethink. From PNG's point of view it's likely the Hunters will be going deep in the finals with some regularity for years to come, add to that 1/4 of the NRL clubs and all SL clubs were still playing this last weekend when the game was on.

Why not just play it as full International the week before Australia V NZ? NZ can play another Pacific nation as well on that weekend. IMO this isn't likely but would be the best scenario. Keep the PMXIII game as is but for another Pacific Island (Fiji? Or Rotating?) And reward PNG with a full Test match.

Fiji/Tonga/Samoa V PMXIII

Fiji/Tonga/Samoa V NZ
PNG V Australia

Australia V NZ

Alternatively I would have no problem with it being played post season, maybe on the same weekend as Australia V NZ, giving a few fringe players a chance to impress before the tournament/tour squads are named.

Thoughts?

Burns

First Grade
The fixture has been fine for years. Only real difference this year is that due to Australia sending the strongest possible squad and PNG not having any real access to overseas players you had the 58-0 scoreline.

Normally its a bunch of fringe players v the best of PNG domestic. This year has the likes of Inglis against at best QLD Cup level players.

There was more coverage and press for this game in the Australia media then I have ever seen. The Daily Tele, usually bashing int RL was giving it high attention. There benefit to PNG as a whole, I noticed Australia Aid were involved with the Kangaroos doing work over there. It's disappointing to see a score line like the weekend, but it really doesn't mean that much on the grand scale for int RL.

I disagree with ever playing PMXIII against a full 'Test' nation. It was AUSXIII v PNGXIII, not AUSXIII v PNG. It essentially grants legitimacy to 'Australia A' as a concept with will likely lead to farcical results.

adamkungl

Immortal
I've never really understood what makes this not a real test match, or why it shouldnt be.
But it's status is neither here nor there, the attention and good will it generates is more important than the result.

My suggestion would be to expand it to tour the islands as well as PNG. The value to Fiji, Samoa and Tonga would be huge. For the Roos it has the benefit of keeping players fit through the finals before the year's major tournament, and actually doing something positive for the sport for once.

Burns

First Grade
Should they be all be PMXIII or President whatever v each other?

I have no qualms if it were Australia XIII play likewise of the Pacific Nations. I do however if it were them verse 'full strength' Pacific Nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
Should they be all be PMXIII or President whatever v each other?

I have no qualms if it were Australia XIII play likewise of the Pacific Nations. I do however if it were them verse 'full strength' Pacific Nations.

Sure. Full strength games won't happen during finals.

jim_57

Staff member
The fixture has been fine for years. Only real difference this year is that due to Australia sending the strongest possible squad and PNG not having any real access to overseas players you had the 58-0 scoreline.

Normally its a bunch of fringe players v the best of PNG domestic. This year has the likes of Inglis against at best QLD Cup level players.

There was more coverage and press for this game in the Australia media then I have ever seen. The Daily Tele, usually bashing int RL was giving it high attention. There benefit to PNG as a whole, I noticed Australia Aid were involved with the Kangaroos doing work over there. It's disappointing to see a score line like the weekend, but it really doesn't mean that much on the grand scale for int RL.

I disagree with ever playing PMXIII against a full 'Test' nation. It was AUSXIII v PNGXIII, not AUSXIII v PNG. It essentially grants legitimacy to 'Australia A' as a concept with will likely lead to farcical results.

The PMXIII is a great concept no doubt and should be continued, I'm sure it is huge for PNG and keeps players match fit for Australia. Just think with so many of PNG's best players likely to be still involved in club finals it could do with a rethink.

I think PNG deserve to have as many of their own best players on display as well as getting to see Australian NRL stars in action. I think a full Test match post season is the best possible next step, really reward PNG for their support of the game and continue to support the good causes the PMXIII game represents.

Definitely persevere with the PMXIII concept though, take it to new frontiers like the other Pacific Islands or maybe even South Africa. Maybe NZ could get in on the concept if funds were there.

Even if Australia and NZ send weakened sides with a few key players rested it would still be huge for the Pacific Islands. Let's be honest, strong International countries in all sports do it for friendlies, dead rubbers etc.

jim_57

Staff member
I've never really understood what makes this not a real test match, or why it shouldnt be.
But it's status is neither here nor there, the attention and good will it generates is more important than the result.

My suggestion would be to expand it to tour the islands as well as PNG. The value to Fiji, Samoa and Tonga would be huge. For the Roos it has the benefit of keeping players fit through the finals before the year's major tournament, and actually doing something positive for the sport for once.

Really like the tour idea, the benefits to each Pacific Island would be huge.

A post season schedule like this would be huge for the Pacific Islands:

( Starting NRL Finals Week 2)
Week 1 - TONGAPMXIII V AUSPMXIII
W2 - SAMOAPMXIIII V AUSPMXIII
W3 - FIJIPMXIIII V PMXIII
W4 - PNG V Australia, Fiji/Tonga/Samoa V NZ
W5 - Australia V NZ
W6 - Week Off
W7 - Major tournaments/tours start.

Latest posts