What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG and Cairns investigate joint NRL bid

Pig Hunter

Juniors
The Townsville NBL team folded 3 years ago.

So yeah, they didn’t make it work.

I’ve driven up to Barlow park for heaps of Cowbs trials and there is now way in the f**king world that ground can hold 18k. I’d say 12k tops.
Barlow Park actually holds 20k mate. Before commenting please get your facts right.

beave

Coach
Barlow Park actually holds 20k mate. Before commenting please get your facts right.

No it f**king doesn’t. Having been a season ticket holder at 1300’s/DFS for over 15 years, I know what a 20k crowd looks like having sat in probably over 30-40 of them in TVL and again, having been up there for about 5 trial games and sat in the shit heap, you couldn’t fit 18k let alone your magical 20k

The barlow park website even says 15k total for the league ground

http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/facilities-sport-leisure/sport-and-recreation/barlow-park

15k would require even more temp seating at the SW end than what they set up for games. 1300’s could hold 30k but you’d have to set up a heap of temp seating.

By the way, how come you couldn’t even make it to Charters? Couldn’t afford the fuel for you VK Commodore?

beave

Coach
What

taunts like bloody what???

1A599641-3E2A-45D9-A7A3-96BB08535008_zps87y7uicy.png

Pig Hunter

Juniors
No it f**king doesn’t. Having been a season ticket holder at 1300’s/DFS for over 15 years, I know what a 20k crowd looks like having sat in probably over 30-40 of them in TVL and again, having been up there for about 5 trial games and sat in the shit heap, you couldn’t fit 18k let alone your magical 20k

The barlow park website even says 15k total for the league ground

http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/facilities-sport-leisure/sport-and-recreation/barlow-park

15k would require even more temp seating at the SW end than what they set up for games. 1300’s could hold 30k but you’d have to set up a heap of temp seating.

By the way, how come you couldn’t even make it to Charters? Couldn’t afford the fuel for you VK Commodore?
I’m sorry but you obviously haven’t been there half as many times as you state.

The VK comment...??

Perth Red

Post Whore
PNGRFL Chairman Sandis Tsaka said today that PNG have no idea about a Joint bid with Cairns.

Haha, sounds as legit as the Bears leaking a story about WA bid then Puddy coming out and saying he's met with them but has no interest lol.

flippikat

Bench
The Townsville NBL team folded 3 years ago.

So yeah, they didn’t make it work.

I’ve driven up to Barlow park for heaps of Cowbs trials and there is now way in the f**king world that ground can hold 18k. I’d say 12k tops.

Fair point about the NBL. My mistake there - I honestly didn't realise the Crocs were gone.

In that case, I think the Cowboys holding a game or two per year in Cairns may be the way to go.

Cairns certainly isn't on most people's radar for a team of their own.. there's far bigger markets in front of them.

Canard

Immortal
Very very close young man.
Yes it is

Bullshit.

It would require tens of millions of dollars of investment to introduce seating to make it anywhere near 20k. I was there when they had 17k for a Cowboys Storm pre season game 15 years and that was standing room only on the hills. That arrangement wouldn't be sustainable for 12 home games a year.

There are no corporate facilities to speak of and very limited parking.

Barlow Park isn't a serious NRL venue without $100M of investment.

Shitty Cazalys(AFL park) would be a better venue, and that's completely unsuitable.

Pig Hunter

Juniors
No different to 25000 frowns stadium. That place is a dump, the worst venue facilities wise in the Southern Hemisphere

I can’t see cairns being involved in any way other than a base for the team to train & live.

The Queensland government isn’t building another stadium in North Queensland, was hard enough to build the the Townsville one.

The PNG govt though. That’s an easy sell.

The harder part is making the economics work.

Latest posts