What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG and Cairns investigate joint NRL bid

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I have no doubt that if a png Nrl team was brought into the Nrl that it would be financial, help the png people in a multitude number of ways from education, women’s issues, health, safety and violence, which in turn would help improve the overall poverty in png.

Now I’ve agreed with you that the current issues in png wouldn’t be a great look currently for the Nrl or even for the Australian public. They probably have a Matt lodge incident every day. But if these issues improve and the right systems are put in place from the png gov how could it not work.

RL can get all of the PR benefits of this from just expanding the role of the PNG national team.

That avoids the dangers associated with commiting an NRL team to a risky market.

Imagine the headlines if the team collapsed. Forget the regular "code in Crisis" shit we get across Australia, it would probably even set the game back in PNG; the locals would probably see the lose of their team as a betrayal by the NRL. (If you think Bears fans are a pain, imagine 7million PNG locals)

Rep teams on the other hand always have irregular scheduling and PNG locals cant miss an NRL team they never had.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Hunters are financially struggling and wouldn’t exist without govt funding so the idea of a sustainable nrl team is a pipe dream. Better another Q’land cup team, maybe a link up for jnr pathways if WA gets a team and more games for the kumuls should be the strategy.