What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I agree on some points with you Doc but disagree overall. Yes png has been corrupt and not sure if that has lately been addressed or still happens. Png doesn't need players from Australia they have there own, heard of the kumuls/hunters?. Png has a population of 8 mil. That's a lot of people watching nrl. Tv broadcasts deals are dieing, online viewing is the future and that's all about eyes on the screen. There has already been meetings between png and Aus about how rl can improve the lives of png people and funding that could come from that. Having a potential png team is more than getting rl getting money it's about helping/changing png people's lives for the better and australia gov along with the png gov will help fund it. We would be silly not to at least consider the potential.

I totally agree and this is why i think the QLD Cups (player pathways) and the National team (for the fans) is all that is required...

If an NRL team falls over, that would potentially kill the sport in that location. But if a National team cant turn up one year or can only make half the games, that is fine; just change the rep schedule for that year.

Much safer bet with far more flexibility to make sure it succeeds...

Have you paid any attention to the png hunters the past couple years in the Q Cup?

Would this group be able to step up to NRL standard (obviously not) or would they be able to attract Australia players (about as unlikely)...

If they Hunters are so successful then put a second/third QLD Cup team in. The best players can flow through to NRL teams and return with the Kumals.

T-Boon

Coach
The biggest kick along the game in PNG could get would be making the game more friendly for small players. i.e. getting rid of some of the big boys.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Yes.

And?

How can you not be impressed with there style of play, there commitment and q Cup funding. The current png prime minister at one stage was going to buy the titans but pulled out due to searle. Already png supply players to the Nrl. But the Nrl (australia) don't need to supply players to a png team. They probabaly wouldn't want them anyway. All I'm saying is the png team has more going for it than any other potential bid at the moment.

Png gov funding
There Own players
Already in q Cup comp and in a gf this year
Stadium development funding on the table
Rabid supporter base
8 mil fan base
Aus gov support/funds for png issues

http://m.auspng.lowyinstitute.org/p...d-papua-new-guinea-workshop-outcomes-document

I just don't think a png team is that far away.

adamkungl

Immortal
I just think the cultural and economic difference between an Australian top line professional sport league and a developing country is too wide.

For me PNGs future lies in their QLD Cup team developing professional opportunities for their players and their national team reaping the benefits.

A PNG national team playing 8-12 games a year and really challenging the top 3 is a more suitable and realistic long term goal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How can you not be impressed with there style of play, there commitment and q Cup funding. The current png prime minister at one stage was going to buy the titans but pulled out due to searle. Already png supply players to the Nrl. But the Nrl (australia) don't need to supply players to a png team. They probabaly wouldn't want them anyway. All I'm saying is the png team has more going for it than any other potential bid at the moment.

Png gov funding
There Own players
Already in q Cup comp and in a gf this year
Stadium development funding on the table
Rabid supporter base
8 mil fan base
Aus gov support/funds for png issues

http://m.auspng.lowyinstitute.org/p...d-papua-new-guinea-workshop-outcomes-document

I just don't think a png team is that far away.

Haha, I'm doubting we'll see a Perth team in the next decade, a png team is pipedream!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Haha, I'm doubting we'll see a Perth team in the next decade, a png team is pipedream!

You're probably right. But who knows, once it starts raining it could poor. If enough bid teams have the right criteria and tick all the boxes a massive shake up could happen. Highly doubtful but I can dream.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://pngsports.online/2017/09/the-png-titans-on-the-cards/

The PNG Titans on the Cards?

The PNG Hunters maiden appearance in the Intrust Super Cup Grand Final at Suncorp ticks another box of what the Hunters program set out to achieve and another step on the way to the NRL.
But one wonders whether that step has arrived a lot earlier than expected as there is no doubt that the Hunters are starting to deliver NRL like quality in performance and output.

Their onfield performances speak for themselves as has their growth over the last 4 years. The Hunters have always been able to attack – the difference this year is that they have learnt to defend and as they showed against the best attacking team in the competition, their commitment and resolve in keeping the Dolphins tryless over 80 minutes belies an inner found belief that can only lead to an NRL future.

There can be no argument that the likes of Stargroth Amean and Ase Boas have NRL written all over them. The fact that neither is on any known NRL radars is an indictment. Ameans try saver to deny a Dolphins 4 pointer was close to the tackle of the year and as he has done on countless occasions this year, he ran for 150 meters for the game. Courier Mail Medalists Boas’ masterclass to deliver the Hunters the win in the 62nd minute exemplified why he belongs in the upper echelons. A kick over the top brought a penalty for obstruction on The Hunters Captain. His decision to tap even with 2 points at his mercy displayed his belief in himself and his team. His step and power to get across the line showed his class. His calmness in slotting the match winner from a difficult angle showed the other side to his game.

A few of their teammates can also lay claim to have NRL credentials but perhaps the only way they can get there is via a Hunters team in the competition and as the Hunters look to cap off their season, one can only wonder when PNG will be provided with that opportunity to play in the NRL. The Titans remain for sale and whilst all the talk remains on whether the North Sydney Bears or the Brisbane Bombers will take over, the obvious solution is to go down the PNG Titans path. It ticks all the boxes.

An instant 8 million strong supporter base and player pipeline. The financial backing of a Government who realise what an NRL team would do for its people. A corporate sponsor base champing at the bit to assist and players such as Boas and Amean who only need an opportunity to show they belong. Add to that an existing license and Gold Coast base that addresses all the negative perceptions that associate unfairly with PNG and an apparent desire by the NRL to expand the game.

As Bulldogs Captain, Jamie Graham stated this week, if the English Super League can expand their competition to Toronto in Canada, surely the NRL would make the no brainer decision to look north. To go down the path of a North Sydney Bears merger or another Gold Coast Consortium would in Albert Einsteins words, be insanity – doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Win lose or draw on September 24th, The Hunters have shown what is possible and it is time they be given their chance to show they belong.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I feel the titans should be a locally owned club and anything else will disenfranchise the local community. This would make png titans team a definite no go. This article backs up my argument though that png should be a lot closer to nrl inclusion than people think. But it should be there own team not the titans.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b6e0cafa7245d3a289efe132e63add53

NRL MUST EXPAND COMPETITION TO INCLUDE PNG HUNTERS

MATTHEW Johns says the NRL is going down the wrong path in terms of expansion and the Papua New Guinea Hunters must be the next team to join the competition.

Cities like Perth and Adelaide are frequently touted as possible locations as part of a strategic plan to grow the sport and plans for a second team in Brisbane has been on the agenda for a decade.

But Johns says the game’s administrators are guilty of tunnel vision in their pursuit of growth and should be targeting the Hunters as the next team to join the NRL.

The Hunters have been an instant success since their inaugural season in the Queensland Cup in 2014 and are one win away from being crowned this year’s premiers.

Johns believes the inclusion of the PNG side will revolutionise the NRL like the West Indies did for cricket in the 1980s.

“I urge the game to think out of the square, go away from their traditional thinking. We look at the game too narrowly and we look at the Australian continent ... we keep talking that ‘we want Perth, we want Perth’ and I get that,” Johns said on Triple M’s The Grill Team.

“(But) The Pacific Islands, that’s where the growth is.

“We’ve got a situation this weekend in the Queensland Cup, the Sunshine Coast are playing against the PNG Hunters.

“It is the most underestimated story in rugby league that the PNG Hunters are in the Queensland Cup grand final, the second best competition in rugby league outside of the NRL ... I put it on par with the English Super League, it is that strong of a competition.

“Last weekend in Port Moresby to get into the game [preliminary final] they were lining up for 24 hours to watch the game.

“What are we doing? When’s our plan to bring them in?

“They could be the West Indies. The West Indies revolutionised cricket in the 80s and they could do the same thing for rugby league”.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Any talk of PNG having a team in the NRL anytime in the foreseeable future is simply asinine.

Commercially it's simply a non-starter, the only way I can see it getting off the ground anytime soon is if a rich backer bankrolls it or if the PNG government bankrolls it.
If their backer pulled out for any reason they'd be f##ked unless they could replace them quickly, and there're serious moral and ethical questions as to whether the NRL should go into business with a government that has serious corruption problems and 40% of it's countries population is under the poverty line, the money that the PNG government would be spending on the NRL club is desperately needed elsewhere in PNG.

You also have to take into account what a PNG club in the NRL would be adding to the pie, and frankly they don't offer anything that having the Hunters in the QLD cup doesn't already give, and they simply cannot match the kind of money that markets such as Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Wellington, even places like CQ, CC, etc, can offer.

PNG is at least 30 years of growth away from being in a position to sustain their own NRL club, honestly I think it's quite possible that teams from Singapore, Jakarta, Hong Kong, etc, could join the comp before a PNG.

King hit

Coach
As much as I would love to see it happen it would be very difficult for it to work

- PNG is a third world country. The club is likely to struggle financially. Unless it gets remarkable support it will struggle of the field

- It is a very unsafe country, port moresby is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Not many players would be comfortable moving there and travelling fans would be unsure about going there

- Not many would be able to afford to go as PNG is a third world country and with the prices the NRL have not many could afford to go

- Don't think the development of PNG players is that good but I maybe wrong

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It's so much more than having just a nrl team. Australia spend $540mil a year on png. Not only does the png gov seem interested in a png nrl team they want to back it. The Nrl could have the png gov back it plus one of the many gov backed mining companies/airlines. Make it legally binding or sitting in a side account like they did with tinkler. Have the png gov support Nrl media/tv broadcast deals. Australian gov could give the Nrl $50/100 mil a year or more to use the Nrls reach and maximize the multitude of social programs the Nrl currently have.

I don't think a nrl png team is that bad of a decision. These decisions needs to take into account the potential of the bid team and with access to 8 mil people the possibilities could be amazing. But I feel like most on here the Nrl will not have the balls.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors can't win with access to Australian players. How many wooden spoons would it take before png could produce 25 nrl winning quality players? Yes they have a massive jnr base but they have no quality systems, because those systems cost many many millions of $'s!

Pipe dream, next.