What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Warriors can't win with access to Australian players. How many wooden spoons would it take before png could produce 25 nrl winning quality players? Yes they have a massive jnr base but they have no quality systems, because those systems cost many many millions of $'s!

Pipe dream, next.

You could ask yourself the same about a Perth team but you whinge and complain about that. Whether your down playing the png bid team because of your Perth bid, I'm not sure. But Australian players aren't the be all and end all. Why would the hunters want a Aus player? Warriors team is mostly nz players now.

Center of excellence would have to be funded by the png bid team like all bid teams would do. Are you aware of what png workers get paid? Costs of running and overseeing competitions/programs would be a lot less than here in Aus. And hell we could even get smart and do what afl do and let big companies (cba/mc Donald's) sponsor and run the programs.

Billythekid

First Grade
Warriors can't win with access to Australian players. How many wooden spoons would it take before png could produce 25 nrl winning quality players? Yes they have a massive jnr base but they have no quality systems, because those systems cost many many millions of $'s!

Pipe dream, next.

I don't understand this complaint. It's a totally different situation to the warriors. Rugby league is a distant second place to union (a very similar sport) in a country with a population of about 4.5 million.

In PNG rugby league is by far the dominant code and that's in a country of around 8 million with essentially no competition for talent.

You also make it sound like there is an inherent problem with a team not based in Australia that prevents the warriors from winning. Ignoring the fact that they've been to GF's which shows they can actually win the comp. Look at Souths, cowboys, parramatta, sharks, Gold Coast, Newcastle etc. Clubs can go ages without winning a premiership regardless of where they're situated. I mean f**k barring a huge upset this year the broncos will have gone 10 seasons without a premiership despite all their advantages.

You're right they don't have those pathways but the QLD Cup side is a big step in the right direction.

Also since when is the ability to win a premiership a factor in admitting a team? So long as the club offers value to the NRL that's what matters. It PNG could offer a large influx of money and juniors to the NRL they would consider it even if it meant perpetual wooden spoons.

There are many legitimate reasons to suggest that PNG are a ways off even being considered for the NRL but your post doesn't touch on any of them.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b6e0cafa7245d3a289efe132e63add53

NRL MUST EXPAND COMPETITION TO INCLUDE PNG HUNTERS

MATTHEW Johns says the NRL is going down the wrong path in terms of expansion and the Papua New Guinea Hunters must be the next team to join the competition.

Cities like Perth and Adelaide are frequently touted as possible locations as part of a strategic plan to grow the sport and plans for a second team in Brisbane has been on the agenda for a decade.

But Johns says the game’s administrators are guilty of tunnel vision in their pursuit of growth and should be targeting the Hunters as the next team to join the NRL.

The Hunters have been an instant success since their inaugural season in the Queensland Cup in 2014 and are one win away from being crowned this year’s premiers.

Johns believes the inclusion of the PNG side will revolutionise the NRL like the West Indies did for cricket in the 1980s.

“I urge the game to think out of the square, go away from their traditional thinking. We look at the game too narrowly and we look at the Australian continent ... we keep talking that ‘we want Perth, we want Perth’ and I get that,” Johns said on Triple M’s The Grill Team.

“(But) The Pacific Islands, that’s where the growth is.

“We’ve got a situation this weekend in the Queensland Cup, the Sunshine Coast are playing against the PNG Hunters.

“It is the most underestimated story in rugby league that the PNG Hunters are in the Queensland Cup grand final, the second best competition in rugby league outside of the NRL ... I put it on par with the English Super League, it is that strong of a competition.

“Last weekend in Port Moresby to get into the game [preliminary final] they were lining up for 24 hours to watch the game.

“What are we doing? When’s our plan to bring them in?

“They could be the West Indies. The West Indies revolutionised cricket in the 80s and they could do the same thing for rugby league”.

West indies are a Rep team arent they?

Just confirms to me again that the future for RL in PNG is in the PNG Kumals and the QLD Cup.

I actually hate the talk about a PNG NRL team, becuase it is an absolute pipe dream and it distracts from genuine solutions.

Much better off having a team like NZ/combined Polynesia committing to a tri-series against PNG over the Origin period. Hell, PNG might even be the opposition the Indigenous Allstars need to save the concept...

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
West indies are a Rep team arent they?

Just confirms to me again that the future for RL in PNG is in the PNG Kumals and the QLD Cup.

I actually hate the talk about a PNG NRL team, becuase it is an absolute pipe dream and it distracts from genuine solutions.

Much better off having a team like NZ/combined Polynesia committing to a tri-series against PNG over the Origin period. Hell, PNG might even be the opposition the Indigenous Allstars need to save the concept...

Totally agree with this. Unfortunately no one takes international league seriously and neither the NRL or SL are taking any real steps to promote it.

Basically your suggestion also feels like a pipe dream for just that reason despite being so much more achievable

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Totally agree with this. Unfortunately no one takes international league seriously and neither the NRL or SL are taking any real steps to promote it.

Basically your suggestion also feels like a pipe dream for just that reason despite being so much more achievable

This is why i think it is a good thing for the ARLC to act as the peak RL body for the whole region, with NZRL and the other Pacific groups acting as branches (similar to the Australian state bodies)...

The ARLC has all of the power and money needed to run these kinds of internationals, but you cant expect them to fund what are practically speaking competitors.

Rather than having internationals as ARLC vs *******, give ARLC the position as facilitator (as they do now with Origin) and have these branches play out these matches.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It will be interesting to see the png kumuls team that plays australia. I would assume it will be a solid win for Aus but if the kumuls put a fight up that will be great for png. Not only having a hunters team playing in the q Cup gf on Sunday and those players missing kumul selection it would show the depth of png.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I just think the cultural and economic difference between an Australian top line professional sport league and a developing country is too wide.

For me PNGs future lies in their QLD Cup team developing professional opportunities for their players and their national team reaping the benefits.

A PNG national team playing 8-12 games a year and really challenging the top 3 is a more suitable and realistic long term goal.

I agree mate. The perfect level for PNG and other Pac Island nations for that matter; is in the second teir. They have the opportunity to field fully home grown squads that can compete well, keep their costs down and feed a nice stream of pros into the NRL that will return and play for the national team.

T-Boon

Coach
Offer the Bears a franchise in PNG?
PNG Bears - let them play a stack of their home games in Sydney or Brisbane with 4 games in Port Moresby including one against the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore
err no

Will be interesting to see if any of the PNG Qland cup squad get picked up by NRL teams. How often do players in Qland cup not already aligned with an NRL team get signed?

I can see more of them ending up in SL, Hull KR have a strong connection with PNG players through the legendary Stanley Gene

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Maybe a darwin/png expansion team into the q Cup in the future.

Offer the Bears a franchise in PNG?
PNG Bears - let them play a stack of their home games in Sydney or Brisbane with 4 games in Port Moresby including one against the Broncos.

Terrible idea. The Bears media whoring is becoming disgusting. I'm turning off from them big time.

jim_57

Staff member
PNG winning today with no NRL contracted players sure does put a dent in the "not enough player depth to expand" argument. Also shows what could be if there were genuine pathways to get kids from PNG & the Pacific an earlier shot in the NRL system.

Hunters under 20's or 18's would be amazing for the game IMO.

TheFrog

Coach
Will be good to see how they go next week against what is not quite an NRL side, but not a million miles from it.

T to the T

Juniors
PNG winning today with no NRL contracted players sure does put a dent in the "not enough player depth to expand" argument. Also shows what could be if there were genuine pathways to get kids from PNG & the Pacific an earlier shot in the NRL system.

Hunters under 20's or 18's would be amazing for the game IMO.
In addition to this...
"More than 100 players could be squeezed out of NRL as market comes to a halt"

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-market-comes-to-a-halt-20170923-gyne3t.html

Expand Greenberg you daft merkin!

Latest posts