What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Team in QLD Cup 2013

mikail-eagle

Bench
I think the confirmation on the 7th June is a forgone conclusion

Welcome PNG.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/33663

PNG may join Qld Cup league
Source:
The National, Thursday 31st May, 2012

PAPUA New Guinea will know in seven days whether the country will have a team taking part in the 2013 Queensland Rugby Leagues Intrust Super Cup or not.
“It’s been a long and intense six month process but we are pretty confident, we’re 80% confident of getting the nod,” PNG National Rugby League Bid chief executive officer Brad Tassell said.
Tassell yesterday revealed that a meeting by the QRL board in Melbourne last Thursday tabled PNG’s submission, and drew a positive response from all members, and clubs in the current competition.
“It’s been positive. They now go back to re-drawing and working towards accommodating an extra team in their schedule.
“It’s an even 12-team competition at the moment, and the addition will obviously make it an uneven draw. They want to work around all areas to cover for the team.
“They’ll meet again on the June 7, before any confirmation is made, so we’re looking forward to it.”
He added that the outcome could also see a potential trip by the QRL board to Port Moresby to inspect the facilities for the proposed team’s home matches – Lloyd Robson Oval.
Entry into the QRL Intrust Super Cup, downgraded from the county’s original bid to have a team in the highest Australian rugby league competition, the NRL, has been deemed however as the next best step going forward.
Tassell made it very clear that there would be no favouritism r in selection.
All players eligible would have to be playing in the local competitions and the Digicel Cup.
“The team will be 100% local born and bred talent selected from all rugby league competitions, including the Digicel Cup, with consideration for players that have come through the junior programmes.
“A six month scouting period will commence as soon as we get the nod, from where a squad of 40 players will be picked by November.
“This will be further trimmed to a 25-man full time squad, which will go into camp in January, and right through to the season, based out of Port Moresby,” Tassell said.
Tassell made special mention of Prime Minister Peter O’Neill’s support in writing personally to the QRL to seek entry of a PNG team, and his government’s commitment of K1.5 million to initial preparations and running of the programme.
“The team will be run as a full professional franchise, like the Australian NRL clubs,” Tassell said.
Current Kumuls on playing stints overseas have shown great interest in the QRL concept because it will provide the quality rugby league that they have gone overseas to seek.
Draws for the QRL season could see the team play about six home games in the season.
The Intrust Super Cup is made up of teams from around Queensland, and includes a full playing roster of clubs Wynnum Manly Seagulls, Redcliffe Dolphins, Tweed Heads Seagulls, Easts Tigers, Northern Pride, Mackay Cutters, Ipswich Jets, Norths Devils, Central Capras, Burleigh Bears, Souths Logan Magpies and Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles.
Tassell said a public promotion would be driven by the PNG NRL Bid office for public suggestions for a name for the team, when an official decision was reached by the QRL.

They need to be careful about the name and logo. This could become the NRL franchise down the track so it needs to be a good brand that represents all of PNG.

Titanic

First Grade
The Vipers name was first tagged to the original team that represented Port Moresby in the SP Cup in 1990 and was selected because the most fearsome things around Moresby were the Papuan Black snake and Raskol gangs ... both names which were hardly acceptable.

With so many local dialects, chosing a name that pleases everybody is difficult. In 1997 during the Superleague debacle, the National Rugby League of PNG, a break-away body from the Super League aligned PNGRFL, formed by the Port Moresby Rugby League named their national team the Palais after a lizard, which caused much debate.

The name I have often thought is the most appropriate is the Papua New Guinea Rangers ... a little by-play on the Owen Stanley Range that runs up the spine of the mainland and conjures up images of the rugged beauty of PNG and the Kokoda Trail runs over it. It is a recognizable symbol of PNG for its people, also for the many expats who lived there and tourists who have visited.

If it's not the Vipers who are linked specifically with Port Moresby and it can't be the Kumuls who are the national team then bring on the Rangers!!

Last edited:

mono_mal

Juniors
Good luck to the PNG franchise.

Interestingly the additon of a PNG team may not necessarily mean a bye. Townsville are currently investigating the possibility of entering the Qld Cup so we could potentially see two new teams.

The addition of a Townsville franchise makes sense as Townsville have proved to be extremely competitive at junior level in the Meninga and Connell Cups. Whilst the Cowboys are present at NRL and NYC level the addition of a QLD Cup franchise would offer further pathways for the regions junior and senior talent.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I thought it was Townsville Brothers who are interested in playing Queensland Cup, not the Cowboys.

mikail-eagle

Bench
I think there are still are lot of names available. Its just that the most obvious ones have already been taken.

1. Pukpuks (Crocodiles)-Rugby Union
2. Mosqitoes-AFL
3. Kapuls (Cuscus)-Soccer
4. Vipers-Pom Rugby League
5. Kumuls-Rugby League National Team
6. Muruks (Cassowary)-Mendi Rugby League
7. Binatangs(insects)-Jnr AFL

etc...etc..

But there are still alot of names out there and as Titanic pointed out with Rangers it doesn't have to be named after an animal.

Heres my list to choose from;
1. PNG Rangers
2. PNG Hunters
3. PNG Wantoks
4. PNG United (Works in Football)
5. PNG Masalai's (Demon/Devil in local Pidgin)

Bro Bear

Juniors
Great to see the QRL promoting the QLD Cup with the addition of possibly new teams. Be great to see the NSWRL do more to promote the NSW Cup for example more NSW region teams and the Storm and Sharks have their own teams or at least one them have the Wets Maggies as their feeder team..

Also, be good to see the two comps have group play offs or/and an AMCO Cup style comp and be utitlised as the National Reserve Grade.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
All the best to them if they get in. Call me old fashioned, but would much rather see the QRL reintroduce Brothers, Wests or Valleys rather than a PNG team.

In my opionion, the QLD Cup is getting a bit stale and cold with so many teams leaving, re-enterering, chopping and changing their names in the last decade. Again, being a traditionalist - a Northern Pride V Wynumm game definitely doesn't bring out as much passion as a Easts v Redcliffe game, for example.

Why did the last PNG team in the Q-Cup leave the comp? If it was high Costs....what has changed since?

Bro Bear

Juniors
All the best to them if they get in. Call me old fashioned, but would much rather see the QRL reintroduce Brothers, Wests or Valleys rather than a PNG team.

In my opionion, the QLD Cup is getting a bit stale and cold with so many teams leaving, re-enterering, chopping and changing their names in the last decade. Again, being a traditionalist - a Northern Pride V Wynumm game definitely doesn't bring out as much passion as a Easts v Redcliffe game, for example.

Why did the last PNG team in the Q-Cup leave the comp? If it was high Costs....what has changed since?

Would be great to see the Brethen, Diehards and Wests Panthers back in the QLD Cup. All these QLD NRL Bids should of used the Diehard or Brothers Moniker.

Hopefully this ARLC gets it's act together with not only expansion but a National Reserve Grade comp with PNG, WA Reds included.

Last edited:

bender

Juniors
I think there are still are lot of names available. Its just that the most obvious ones have already been taken.

2. Mosqitoes-AFL

etc...etc..

But there are still alot of names out there and as Titanic pointed out with Rangers it doesn't have to be named after an animal.

1. PNG Rangers
2. PNG Hunters
3. PNG Wantoks

I have always liked the PNG Headhunters.

PNG Angels might work okay.

Smiley

Bench

2. Mosqitoes-AFL

etc...etc..

1. PNG Rangers
2. PNG Hunters
3. PNG Wantoks

Seems the PNG NRL Bid agree with you.

They have recently lodged trademarks for PNG Hunters and PNG United.

Titanic

First Grade

The Vipers played for the 2 years of the Super League debacle as an enticement for the strong Port Moresby League to breakaway from the Murdoch-backed PNGRFL.

The QRL would not fund the Vipers as they did the other QRL teams and when the SL thing finished the QRL (basically Ross Livermore) shafted them. They appealled to the ARL who gave them the grand sum of A$10,000 (big deal). Costs were an issue but the benefits outweighed that, imho.

gyallop

Juniors
can some one send the Q Cup clubs a cheque from the QRL funding....never happened , the QRL paid for each club a small amount to employ a CEO for about 3 years...the Broncos were to pay the BRL teams 50,000 a year for crowd compensation each year which also never happened..must be a big debt now if the clubs call that in!!

Costs and visas for the PNG players killed the Vipers not to mention the internal corruption up there with money not finding its way to the right places........2013 has anything changed up there to make this work??

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Vipers also failed because 99% of PNG were not behind it. It was a Port Moresby Team with Port Moresby based players and believe me the whole of PNG loathed that team.

The Super League war didn't help matters as the rest of the country was in bed with Super League while only Port Moresby was with the ARL.

This meant no Government Funding as politicians in PNG only go where the majority is and it was just a matter of time before the sojourn into the QLD Cup would come to an end.

mono_mal

Juniors
I like the 'PNG United' suggestion.

The bid has been linked to improving the education and health of the people of PNG by using the club to promote important health campaigns and improved education. To achieve this the club needs to be accessible to all Papua New Guinean's, and what better way to unite the hundreds of tribes than in support of their premier club team playing the national sport.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
The Vipers played for the 2 years of the Super League debacle as an enticement for the strong Port Moresby League to breakaway from the Murdoch-backed PNGRFL.

The QRL would not fund the Vipers as they did the other QRL teams and when the SL thing finished the QRL (basically Ross Livermore) shafted them. They appealled to the ARL who gave them the grand sum of A$10,000 (big deal). Costs were an issue but the benefits outweighed that, imho.

No doubt the Super League War played a big part in the initial failure.

Like I said, I'm all for expansion (and don't want to be a wet blanket) but I hope that the QRL does its due diligence properly and that the PNG team has one hell of a water tight business plan. The Q-Cup needs stable, long-term teams. Too much chopping and changing recently as far as I'm concerned.

It's great to get all excited about a team from PNG; although I would hate to see in two years (when reality sets in) that the QRL / PNG team want to pull out due to high running costs, team not viable, not competitive etc...

gyallop

Juniors
Big fan ..let's hope it all works, I believe it was set to be discussed at a meeting of the Qld Cup clubs today as it will need them to agree.

siv

First Grade
Not sure if having a local PNG Qld Cup team will benefit the local game in PNG

Hasn't worked for the local NZRL competitions with the Warriors

Latest posts