What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG to Fiji 2011

LeagueXIII

First Grade
PNG will play two games in Fiji this October:

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=174414

Bati prepares for Kumuls

Emoni Narawa
Wednesday, July 06, 2011

THE Fiji Bati rugby league side will play a Test match against the Papua New Guinea side next October.
Fiji last played PNG in 2009 where they were hammered heavily 64-10 by the Kumuls.
PNG National Rugby League chairman John Numapo said they wanted the Test match to be an annual event.
"Rugby league is a national sport at home and I believe it is the same here."
"We want to make this an annual event so we will be coming over in October for the game."
"We already have ongoing discussions. We just want to help the sport here in the country," Numapo said.
The Kumuls will play the Bati in Lautoka before another game in Suva.
Numapo said Fijians had the natural talents which made them special talents in rugby league.
"I believe Fijians have the potentials to be great players."
"We need this kind of game to help lift the level of competition to another level," Numapo said.
Fiji National Rugby League general manager Steve McLellan said the event would strengthen the relationship between the two parties.
"This will be a Melanesian clash and we want to strengthen our cultural ties."
"It is another opportunity to expose our talents," McLellan added.

http://www.fijisun.com.fj/main_page/view.asp?id=58815

Fiji, PNG seal deal
writer : ANASILINI RATUVA</B>
7/6/2011
384-19.gif

Papua New Guinea Rugby League (PNGRL) has sealed a new deal with Fiji National Rugby League.

The two Melanesian countries will meet each other every year for the next four years.
The first two encounters will be in October at Churchill Park in Lautoka and TFL Stadium in Suva. PNGRL chairman John Numapo says the deal should benefit the two countries.
“This will help promote and strengthen the sport in Fiji and PNG,” Numapo said.
The NRL has extended invitation to the Pacific teams for participation in 2015.
“NRL is inviting teams from the Pacific Islands to join the competition in 2015 so PNG will be joining the competition and we have also open doors to Fiji players to join the side.
“There is always a strong tie between the Melanesian brothers and in four years we hope to build a formidable partnership. “We have also extended invitation to Samoa and Tonga.”

billy2

Juniors
I obviously don't know the cultural implications, but from a football point of view, i'd love to see a lot of Fijians playing in the PNG comp.
It would be win/win - the Fijians would strengthen the comp and get to play a higher standard themselves.
Australians wouldn't play for the money on offer in PNG, but other PI players would be happy enough with the money in PNG you would think.

Parra

Referee
"&#8220;NRL is inviting teams from the Pacific Islands to join the competition in 2015 so PNG will be joining the competition and we have also open doors to Fiji players to join the side"

Big call.

welshmagpie

Juniors
"“NRL is inviting teams from the Pacific Islands to join the competition in 2015 so PNG will be joining the competition and we have also open doors to Fiji players to join the side"

Big call.

Are they talking about the actual NRL e.g. Australia!

If so i'm in definate agreement with your 'big call'

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Great initiative, but a rubbish call.

If only the NRL/ARL edged towards a more holistic approach to league in the entire region rather than the current "NRL is the be-all and end-all" approach, then the interest that exists in the south pacific could be benefited from to not only strengthen their domestic scenes but the international scene as well.

Obviously integrating pacific teams into the NRL is a pipedream, but I can't see why a pacific-wide challenge cup style of tournament could not be attempted.

Great initiative, but a rubbish call.

If only the NRL/ARL edged towards a more holistic approach to league in the entire region rather than the current "NRL is the be-all and end-all" approach, then the interest that exists in the south pacific could be benefited from to not only strengthen their domestic scenes but the international scene as well.

Obviously integrating pacific teams into the NRL is a pipedream, but I can't see why a pacific-wide challenge cup style of tournament could not be attempted.

Costs of travelling? In Union they have the Pacific Nations, that could go alright with domestic teams from different nations playing each other. But money seems to be the bottom line.

If the NRL didn't have AFL to compete with in Australia I'm sure they'd help the game develop more and front up costs. But throwing money around could hurt the ARL

In Rugby the IRB just piss money over which ever country they want to develop. Peru Vs Trinidad? They'll throw money there and make it happen :crazy:

Latest posts