What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Point of Difference This Year -

mickeylane

Bench
If Dugan is fullback yesterday we don't beat Raiders as what Dufty delivered was unbelievable
If McCrone is halfback yesterday we dont beat Raiders as what Hunt is delivering is world class game mgt!
If Packer is our starting prop our line speed is half a metre too slow - as line speed Graham delivers is world class
DUFTY
HUNT
GRAHAM
SIMS are the point of difference this year...

This team is a completely different machine to last years and teams of previous years - IMO this year is not our ideal window - I think 2019/20 are our years...with at least 3-4 players being origin hardened this team will be a machine!! ...

2018 reminds me a lot of Bennetts first year at Dragons - We will go very very close but wont be disappointed if we just miss out on the day of the big dance.....remember everyone - expectations were very low or modest at best prior to seasons commence. Now its dawning that this team has balls and determination....

So enjoy whatever ride the team is dishing up...we have been no.1 for 11 weeks straight what a ride so far!

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Dugan is fullback yesterday we don't beat Raiders as what Dufty delivered was unbelievable
If McCrone is halfback yesterday we dont beat Raiders as what Hunt is delivering is world class game mgt!
If Packer is our starting prop our line speed is half a metre too slow - as line speed Graham delivers is world class
DUFTY
HUNT
GRAHAM
SIMS are the point of difference this year...

This team is a completely different machine to last years and teams of previous years - IMO this year is not our ideal window - I think 2019/20 are our years...with at least 3-4 players being origin hardened this team will be a machine!! ...

2018 reminds me a lot of Bennetts first year at Dragons - We will go very very close but wont be disappointed if we just miss out on the day of the big dance.....remember everyone - expectations were very low or modest at best prior to seasons commence. Now its dawning that this team has balls and determination....

So enjoy whatever ride the team is dishing up...we have been no.1 for 11 weeks straight what a ride so far!
Mickey, your expectations weren't very low or modest, were they? lol

My expectations weren't that low either, but I did expect us to make the top 6 and even top 4 if we replaced Aitken and Nightingale.

At the start of the season, I didn't think that we were a genuine premiership chance. I thought we could be building towards being a genuine chance in 2019-2020. I now think that if we replaced Aitken and Nightingale with Mann and Lomax, then we could be a genuine chance this year.

For us to be a genuine chance next year, we either need to retain Ah Mau and or sign another very good prop. Or we could move Frizell to the prop rotation and buy another top line edge backrower?

Crush

Coach

My expectations weren't that low either, but I did expect us to make the top 6 and even top 4 if we replaced Aitken and Nightingale.

At the start of the season, I didn't think that we were a genuine premiership chance. I thought we could be building towards being a genuine chance in 2019-2020. I now think that if we replaced Aitken and Nightingale with Mann and Lomax, then we could be a genuine chance this year.

For us to be a genuine chance next year, we either need to retain Ah Mau and or sign another very good prop. Or we could move Frizell to the prop rotation and buy another top line edge backrower?
You still think we should DROP Aitken!?

ozbuck

Juniors
We will go very very close but wont be disappointed if we just miss out on the day of the big dance.....remember everyone - expectations were very low or modest at best prior to seasons commence. Now its dawning that this team has balls and determination....

True that. Enjoy the ride. Come finals time the regular season means absolutely 0. Any team can beat any team in thee finals.

Drag Queen

Bench

Totally off topic but Tyson's younger brother has made the AB's squad. Happy days :cool:

Drag Queen

Bench
Is this a rhetorical question Crush? We don't exactly have adequate coverage for his spot that I know of. In this case I surely blame the coaches. Who the hell is guiding this kid?

Crush

Coach
Is this a rhetorical question Crush? We don't exactly have adequate coverage for his spot that I know of. In this case I surely blame the coaches. Who the hell is guiding this kid?
I don't follow.
Do you like Frank also think Aitken should be dropped?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would relegate Aitken to the bench and promote Mann to centre and Lomax on the wing. If we promote Lomax for Nightingale and keep Aitken centre, then Lomax won't get any ball from his centre. I think it is unfair on a winger to play outside of Aitken.

I do acknowledge that Aitken's form has been very good this year. He has his strengths and he has his deficiencies. I want our right hand side attack to extend all of the way to our right winger. Aitken doesn't allow that.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would relegate Aitken to the bench and promote Mann to centre and Lomax on the wing. If we promote Lomax for Nightingale and keep Aitken centre, then Lomax won't get any ball from his centre. I think it is unfair on a winger to play outside of Aitken.

I do acknowledge that Aitken's form has been very good this year. He has his strengths and he has his deficiencies. I want our right hand side attack to extend all of the way to our right winger. Aitken doesn't allow that.

So you equate Nightingale's alleged unsatisfactory form is due to a bloke (Aitken) whose form you say has been "very good", yet, should be replaced?

*Confused*

Frank Facer

First Grade
So you equate Nightingale's alleged unsatisfactory form is due to a bloke (Aitken) whose form you say has been "very good", yet, should be replaced?

*Confused*
Don't be confused. Aitken has a strong running game and is very dangerous close to the opposition's try line. He has good front on defence and when coming out of our own half, he takes hit ups like a small edge backrower. He does all of that quite well. He is also tough enough. On the other hand he hasn't scored a long range try to my knowledge. He doesn't set up his winger and provide try assists and he decision making in defence is questionable at times.

How many tries did Nightingale score from more than 20 metres out last year? Was it any? lol He has only scored one try this year and that was from a kick. lol He must be the slowest winger in the comp.

If you haven't noticed, opposition teams know that our right hand side is our weakness. They are targeting Aitken and Nightingale.

In saying all of that, it probably isn't fair on Nightingale having to play outside of Aitken and never get passed the ball. lol

rasaint

Juniors
Good on Mickey Lane particularly and I always get a smile on my dial ( reckon even OT also) at these positive joyful posts. I like reading all the diverse views and opinion but always go ‘beauty’ when I look down the thread and see Micky’s post coming up.

On this thread I agree mostly with Mickey on player comments. At last a flying fullback again. We do well when we have one example Darius for 3 years and remember back to Brian Johnson at fullback in late 70s early 80s. Dufty in full flight is scintillating.he will get rag dolled a bit or whatever but other teams are distracted by him and that means other team members are less heavily marked in attack.

Aiken is quick but not elite quick like the Ado Carr and Roberts. I remember he scored a scorcher against Manly last year with a side step past Kelly and cleared out with a 50 metre sprint to the line. Also turned from behind and ran down Feki in the sharks game this year.

Actually Gareth’s speed is under estimated and its one of his best assets. I have never seen him run down from behind. He has intercepted for a number of try’s over the years and he has gone 90 metres.

Hunt is a fast halfback. His speed is good and has already paid dividends this year for us.

Tim Lafai is not quick but has lightening feet particularly off the left foot. Also not slow can hoof it a bit.

We joke about speed but it’s so important. In 2010 we had frighting buck loads of it. Sowie, Cooper , Gasnier, Morris and Boyd. They were the days haha.

Cheers to all,

Saintsified

Bench
Don't be confused. Aitken has a strong running game and is very dangerous close to the opposition's try line. He has good front on defence and when coming out of our own half, he takes hit ups like a small edge backrower. He does all of that quite well. He is also tough enough. On the other hand he hasn't scored a long range try to my knowledge. He doesn't set up his winger and provide try assists and he decision making in defence is questionable at times.

How many tries did Nightingale score from more than 20 metres out last year? Was it any? lol He has only scored one try this year and that was from a kick. lol He must be the slowest winger in the comp.

If you haven't noticed, opposition teams know that our right hand side is our weakness. They are targeting Aitken and Nightingale.

In saying all of that, it probably isn't fair on Nightingale having to play outside of Aitken and never get passed the ball. lol

You keep harping on about Flo not scoring much, you do realise he has had many other lean years dont you? clearly by your expectations he would be out of the team already and many years ago if it was for the lack of tries, he isnt in the team for that reason alone.

Nightingale played in 18 matches and scored 3 tries for the Dragons in the 2009 NRL season

Nightingale played in all of the Dragons 24 matches and scored 7 tries in the 2012 NRL season.

Nightingale finished the 2015 NRL season playing in 17 matches and scoring 5 tries for the Dragons.