What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Yosh

Coach
In all fairness, Melbourne being another capital city has more appeal to young blokes than Newcastle but it really depends on what they’re into.

To be honest I think it’s almost a good thing that Ponga hasn’t walked into a side that’s set, old and competing for a premiership. It gives him something still to work towards. I mean it’s his first year in FG and he’s already played Origin FFS. The kid has “I’ve achieved all I can in the game” / Union or AFL convert written all over him so you want him to stay hungry.

I'm a Sydney boy and I've been to Newcastle a couple of times and if I have to be really really honest, Newcastle got boring if I stayed there any longer than 30 minutes... I don't wanna diss the city or the people because it's great but as a 20 something year old, with cash to burn, Newcastle just doesn't offer enough entertainment and chicks (to put it bluntly).

We aren't going to attract the average footballer. We need to target the professional, the guy who is all about the sport and taking care of their body. Or the bloke who got married early and wants to raise his family in a nice family environment. Or someone like Pearce, who has something to prove and wants a change in life in his late 20s or early 30s. That's why I feel we never attract the alpha male type players. The types who think they are king sh*t (which is often a trait in the best players) will choose the high life in Sydney or Melbourne over Newcastle 99/100 times... Unfortunately for us.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm a Sydney boy and I've been to Newcastle a couple of times and if I have to be really really honest, Newcastle got boring if I stayed there any longer than 30 minutes... I don't wanna diss the city or the people because it's great but as a 20 something year old, with cash to burn, Newcastle just doesn't offer enough entertainment and chicks (to put it bluntly).

We aren't going to attract the average footballer. We need to target the professional, the guy who is all about the sport and taking care of their body. Or the bloke who got married early and wants to raise his family in a nice family environment. Or someone like Pearce, who has something to prove and wants a change in life in his late 20s or early 30s. That's why I feel we never attract the alpha male type players. The types who think they are king sh*t (which is often a trait in the best players) will choose the high life in Sydney or Melbourne over Newcastle 99/100 times... Unfortunately for us.

I suppose it depends where you were born. I was born in Newcastle. Myself and my family HATE going to Sydney, like a trip to the dentist. Only go there to fly out of the shithole. As far as chicks go- did some of my best work at the Brewery, Castle, Cambridge and Fanny's , each to their own. :p

I agree with what you say. We need to look at boys from the bush who most likely feel the same way about Sydney as I do.( Ponga ) and any guys looking to raise a family in a good place for kids.

Interesting Brown just saying Ponga could move to five eight now if he wants. Ponga had apparently approached Brown after his SOO game.
I thought Ponga was being groomed as a 5/8 but thought we might keep him longer at fullback.
Wonder where it will leave Watson - maybe fullback. He is

Knight Vision

First Grade
great news for Tedesco and not so good for Munster.

Watson to full back where he is probably best suited. Still needs to work on his ball playing though.

Pedge1971

First Grade
great news for Tedesco and not so good for Munster.

Watson to full back where he is probably best suited. Still needs to work on his ball playing though.

Great news for the Knights cause Kevvie the derp will stick with Munster but Kalyn will be there somewhere - hopefully not the f**king middle again!!!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
We have the future Australian fullback in the team. Moving him to 6 would be very silly imo. I can’t see the knights replacing him with a fullback who is as safe as him and has the ability to make line breaks like he does when bringing the ball back.

Glendale

Juniors
We have the future Australian fullback in the team. Moving him to 6 would be very silly imo. I can’t see the knights replacing him with a fullback who is as safe as him and has the ability to make line breaks like he does when bringing the ball back.

The way I see it, I think our spine for the next 5 years is locked in with Pearce, Ponga and Watson. I think Ponga could be a very good 5/8, and Watson could be a capable fullback, you could switch them around if you want and I don’t think it would change much.

No matter what position they’re playing, I don’t think our attacking structure will change at all. Ponga is the secondary playmaker in the side and Watson is just going to roam free and use his running game. No matter if they’re playing 1. Ponga, 6. Watson or 1. Watson, 6. Ponga. I don’t think our structure changes at all.

The main question you need to ask is would it get the best out of both of them? I don’t think so. Ponga has already shown he’s going to be the best fullback in the game one day- whereas Watson could be tidy and ok there, but wouldn’t be near Ponga as a pure fullback. For example it’s hard to imagine Watson would be anywhere near as good as Ponga with kick returns. Watson has showed himself to be a very good running 5/8 and Ponga has unmatched potential at fullback, I don’t think you need to mess with it.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Personally I think Ponga is already the best in the game. I dont think anyone is going to be as good as the kid.

Yosh

Coach
I worry about Watson's ability to cover kicks and also his cover defense. Ponga can do it all so well. I don't see why he would want to play 5/8th where the opposition would run forwards at him all game to tire him out. Then again Ponga might enjoy the tackling work, he was a beast in Origin 2.

Jono078

Referee
If he didn't get injured he was well on his way to winning the Dally M - just incredible.

I wouldn't be against the Watson/Ponga position swap. I don't think it harms us and it may even improve us. Watson is that energy bunny kind of player, I think he'll be better back there. I think Ponga will also be better off not having to return the ball and getting hammered each time, he'll be able to pick and choose his runs more often.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Originally, I was thinking a Ponga/Watson switch would be of benefit, but now I am not so sure.

The argument for was definitely stronger whilst Pearce wasn't available, but while ever he is there calling the shots, I feel Watson will develop into a very good running 6.

And of course Ponga can do it all from the back anyway.

Just watching the last couple of games, and thinking Watson reminded me of someone. Took me a while to work it out, but my eyes see a young Terry Lamb.

Maybe wishful thinking?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Originally, I was thinking a Ponga/Watson switch would be of benefit, but now I am not so sure.

The argument for was definitely stronger whilst Pearce wasn't available, but while ever he is there calling the shots, I feel Watson will develop into a very good running 6.

And of course Ponga can do it all from the back anyway.

Just watching the last couple of games, and thinking Watson reminded me of someone. Took me a while to work it out, but my eyes see a young Terry Lamb.

Maybe wishful thinking?

I see what u mean. But Baa had a kicking game and a mongrel will to win as well as incredible toughness. And I hated the bloke.

Here is hoping Conor develops some of that in his game. The super utility thing makes complete sense though.

Old dog

Juniors
If he turns out anything like Lamb he will be our Best Buy next to Ponga and that includes Pearce, I will settle for a very good buy, he has potential

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Ponga moves to 5/8, then you will have the future Australian 5/8 in your team. As someone else on this thread already said. It is harder to find a top line 5/8 than it is to find a top line fullback. I like the idea of Ponga at 5/8. I would love Saints to have him as our 5/8 or fullback. I thought he looked like a 5/8 very early this year. I think 5/8 could be his best position.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If Ponga moves to 5/8, then you will have the future Australian 5/8 in your team. As someone else on this thread already said. It is harder to find a top line 5/8 than it is to find a top line fullback. I like the idea of Ponga at 5/8. I would love Saints to have him as our 5/8 or fullback. I thought he looked like a 5/8 very early this year. I think 5/8 could be his best position.

To me the complete 5/8 is a player like Daley or Fitler. Yes Ponga has a lot of their attributes, but one of their biggest strengths was their kicking game. Does Ponga have a good kicking game?

Zoidberg

First Grade
OK, so Ponga was just interviewed on the footy show (1st time I’ve watched that show this year), what a champion bloke this guy is, so well mannered and well spoken and seems like such a genuinely nice guy. Proud to have him as a Knight.

Bartwah

Juniors
Not on-field talent related, but just want to mention the story of what Ponga did for the little girl up here. Check out the story on the knights social media pages. An absolute superstar both on and off the field.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The way I see it, I think our spine for the next 5 years is locked in with Pearce, Ponga and Watson. I think Ponga could be a very good 5/8, and Watson could be a capable fullback, you could switch them around if you want and I don’t think it would change much.

No matter what position they’re playing, I don’t think our attacking structure will change at all. Ponga is the secondary playmaker in the side and Watson is just going to roam free and use his running game. No matter if they’re playing 1. Ponga, 6. Watson or 1. Watson, 6. Ponga. I don’t think our structure changes at all.

The main question you need to ask is would it get the best out of both of them? I don’t think so. Ponga has already shown he’s going to be the best fullback in the game one day- whereas Watson could be tidy and ok there, but wouldn’t be near Ponga as a pure fullback. For example it’s hard to imagine Watson would be anywhere near as good as Ponga with kick returns. Watson has showed himself to be a very good running 5/8 and Ponga has unmatched potential at fullback, I don’t think you need to mess with it.
Watson at fullback would probably put him outside of Ponga and give him the opportunity to run off Ponga. I think Ponga looks like an out and out 5/8. I think he is the best ball player in the comp. I think Ponga would also have a pretty good kicking game, due to his Aussie Rules experience. Playing 5/8 would probably bring him closer to the game and let him take more control, but at fullback, he probably has bit more room to move and can inject himself whenever he likes. I would probably be looking to play him 5/8 if I was his coach. The more I think about it the more I think I would like to see Ponga at 5/8 and Watson at fullback.

I already suggested that Newy should try to sign Ben Barba and play him fullback with Ponga 5/8. That would probably push Watson to centre. A center pairing of Watson and Ramien, with Barba at fullback, Ponga 5/8 and Pearce halfback would look pretty good to me.

Latest posts