What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor scheduling

seanoff

Juniors
Why do Fox care about the schedule. They get 8 games every week. Does it matter when they are?

I mean the AFL schedule was all over the place this round. I dont think Fox cared. They still got 9 games to show. So what.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah a Monday night game would've been ideal for just this weekend. I know they've scrapped Monday night football for every week doesn't mean they should scrap it altogether.

As for the 6pm Friday night, that surprised me with the crowd figure. Not sure if we'll get a good crowd this Friday but the crowds haven't been too bad this year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I know that, me and most people i talk to reckon its shit. The fact that we have had plenty by the time it starts might play a factor:D
Given it rates it's arse off and regularly attracts north of 20k in a 28k stadium, I doubt it's going anywhere. Heaps of people go there straight from Essendon-Collingwood too.

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah a Monday night game would've been ideal for just this weekend. I know they've scrapped Monday night football for every week doesn't mean they should scrap it altogether.

As for the 6pm Friday night, that surprised me with the crowd figure. Not sure if we'll get a good crowd this Friday but the crowds haven't been too bad this year.
I tend to agree here. Ideal schedule would've been to move Fri 6pm Raiders game to maybe 2pm Sunday, and the Eels-Panthers game Mon 7pm.

mxlegend99

Referee
I tend to agree here. Ideal schedule would've been to move Fri 6pm Raiders game to maybe 2pm Sunday, and the Eels-Panthers game Mon 7pm.
They then have to change the following weekend.

Panthers play on Thursday... cant exactly have them play on the Monday. The schedule is definitely f**ked. But the Panthers vs Eels game shouldnt have been a Sunday or Monday game. It should have been a Friday night game considering the following weeks draw

Front-Rower

First Grade
Why do Fox care about the schedule. They get 8 games every week. Does it matter when they are?

They'd use it as leverage to sell subs to pubs and clubs e.g. 6pm game Friday is targeted towards the Friday afternoon drinks crowd. If the footy is on, they may be more inclined to hang around until full time when usually they leave at say 6.30-7pm. Then the follow effect is that the ones who stay until full time may stay and watch the second game meaning more revenue for the pub/club as people then possibly buy food and more drinks.

Timmah

Staff member
They then have to change the following weekend.

Panthers play on Thursday... cant exactly have them play on the Monday. The schedule is definitely f**ked. But the Panthers vs Eels game shouldnt have been a Sunday or Monday game. It should have been a Friday night game considering the following weeks draw
Like Round 10 (CBY v NQL on a Thu after C v C Sunday), there shouldn't be Thursday night football.

Given rep round is f**king off next year, they'd do well to hold 'ANZAC Round' over two weekends and spread the games out. Hell, 8 games in 9 days, why not?

Diesel

Coach
Does the NRL have any power to make this happen when they take over the scheduling from 2018 or are all time slots locked in

skeepe

Immortal
You want to talk about poor scheduling? The Raiders have only one home game between now and June 23rd - but then the game against the Broncos on June 24 kicks off a 4 game home stand.

It's madness.

The rest of our schedule is
Away
Rep round
Away
Away
Home
Away
Away
Bye
Home
Home
Bye
Home
Home
Away
Away
Away
Home
Home
Away

Timmah

Staff member
You want to talk about poor scheduling? The Raiders have only one home game between now and June 23rd - but then the game against the Broncos on June 24 kicks off a 4 game home stand.

It's madness.

The rest of our schedule is
Away
Rep round
Away
Away
Home
Away
Away
Bye
Home
Home
Bye
Home
Home
Away
Away
Away
Home
Home
Away
This is sadly the norm now. Canterbury are on a run of 5 ANZ games at the moment, 4 of them designated "home".

Until the NRL take better control of the schedule - not only from a broadcast perspective but 'fulfilling club wishes' perspective, this will be the norm.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

A 4 home game stretch in the worst part of winter too. It actually wouldn’t be too bad having a long away stretch if they kicked it off a bit later in the season. Start it at the end of June and skip Canberra’s July.

This is all from a crowd boosting perspective of course. I do enjoy seeing teams freeze their nuts off down here.

Paullyboy

Coach
How about the fact we seem to draw at least one of the Queensland teams away in March (hottest month of the season) every year.

I still remember the 40 degree game at the Coast a couple of years ago. And giving the Cowboys a home game in the first two weeks against anyone is just cruel.

Diesel

Coach
Thanks to the unions pushing their agenda and our weak as piss Labor state government, Qld has a another public holiday this Monday, after ANZAC Day last week and Easter two weeks earlier.

Panthers/Broncos getting 21k on Thursday should've been played on Sunday night and could've got another 15k more, except Grant shat his pants when Rupert turned up and there is no flexibility in the scheduling.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
My biggest scheduling issue is seeing two teams play each other in quick succession.

Titans played knights in round 2 and back up again in round 9.

We're never going to have a draw where everyone plays each other home and away but is at least possible for all teams to play each other before teams play each other a second time?

thorson1987

Coach
My biggest scheduling issue is seeing two teams play each other in quick succession.

We're never going to have a draw where everyone plays each other home and away but is at least possible for all teams to play each other before teams play each other a second time?

That's the one thing that shits me with the draw.

We played Warriors in rd 2 and again in rd 8.

Timmah

Staff member

As I said:
Until the NRL take better control of the schedule - not only from a broadcast perspective but 'fulfilling club wishes' perspective, this will be the norm.