Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by ALSGI, Aug 10, 2017.
Got the first 4 in the last at Bairnsdale today.
The positives for us Dragons fans are as much as we get disappointed and frustrated at times, at least we don't suck shit like the Bullgrubs.
McCrone is finally gone at the end of the season which means Mcdipshit can't pick him anymore,thus no longer doing all of our heads completely in every week.
Agree you above
The other positive are
JDB has been great all year.
LAM has also play well.
His best season for us.
McInnes is a upgrade just needs to run more.
Widdop is playing much better than last year.
The strength in our lower grades in under 20s and 18 is going well.
With sailor, Lomax robson and garrick having good year so far.
The old saying goes the older you get the quicker time flys! Yes I hear the older folk saying " that's a negative " BUT the last three seasons have been so abysmal so those of us who say time has flown in the last 3 years can at least say "we'll that's a positive! "
9th is better than 10th
Only 4 rounds to go and its the offseason. I just know that we won't get beat or disappoint over the offseason..............who knows, I may even forget Mary is coach and recently got a contract extension?! Doust must have some amazing photos of the Board Members private lives?????
Agree Sammy, a big positive is our forwards this year, especially LAM he's been the most consistent along with Vaughan, JDB, Friz. Young blokes Lawrie, Host and Sele will be better next year. Hopefully we'll see some of our young backs given a go next year.
- We made the semis in 2015.
- Only 4 more games of McCrone.
- Our memberships are going down, so there's less of those pesky fans for McGregor and our management to contend with (the nerv of them, wanting the team we support to be successful).
- We have finally acknowledged that tries from kicks are worth points.
- I finally got to see just how devastating the Dragons' attack can be on Monday, when one of them tore through the Lannister army/loot train on Monday (I only caught a replay, couldnt watch it live unfortunately). In saying that, I dont think we should be enlisting Dany Targ as our coach - she has shown a great deal of inexperience and been outmanoeuvred by opposition coaches who are more experienced, plus she has never been in a system outside the Dragons so would just be another old boy on the list. Maybe if she combined with the coach of the Wolves, they might be worth a punt as a team...
Her Dragons are better than ours though, they breath fire, ours just puff.
I actually like this idea. Let me have a go:
- Dugan is finally (FINALLY) about to piss off. Seriously, every god damn week it's something else with that guy.
- Dufty has made me look like a right idiot for not wanting him in first grade this year.
- McCrone is also about to piss off.
- Our starting forward pack is the best in the comp. I'd take Frizzell, Vaughan, Ah Mau, Thompson and JDB over any other starting pack in the NRL.
- Our juniors are absolutely killing it in 20s. Most are straight out of SG Ball and yet they've been entrenched in the top 4 all year.
- Our 20s from last year have mostly made the jump to Cup (in a Cup side that has basically had it's entire roster completely flipped mid way through the year and are still somehow in with a shot at the finals) and in some cases have made their Grade debut. Dufty is the obvious one, but Sele, Lawrie and Field have all had a taste of first grade and been solid (Field excluded, of course, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).
- Our attack has improved out of god damn sight compared to last year. Imagine what we could do if we had some speed and size out wide instead of plodders like Nene.
- I still believe we should be in the top 4 but for the sake of some terrible lapses in concentration or desire. However, considering I thought we'd be fighting Newcastle to avoid the spoon, I can't be overly disappointed with the season as a whole.
Having said all that, if we don't finish at least 6th next year, I'll be kicking holes in my walls.
This certainly is a plus and depending how far their development goes , it will have a bearing on how we finish in 2018. We forget how young they are. A watershed year for Host I hope. Already has a big frame but he will have a mans body next year and hopefully will benefit from Hunt & Widdorps service as he does run great lines , just not getting that role at present , which is a pity.
This year we expected doom and gloom yet rd13 they are sitting 1st. With mostly bottom 8 sides to play you thought finals footy would be a breeze. The fact that Saints got to that position is great and it shpws they are capable of competing with the big guns if not for some tweaking next season. Ben Hunt will be a great addition. Losing McCrone will also improve Saints chances of making 2018 a better season.
They are a lot better on the eye than last year which was great. Last year was depressing similar to what Dogs are dishing up this season.
If they can snag 2 more wins and finish on 28 it's a good result. Not ideal but if I said at the start of the year saints will get 28pts you would have laughed. I think if they don't make the 8 it will be something that they will learn from and come out bigger and better in 2018.
I happened to hear our Chairman Brian Johnstone being interviewed on Sky Sports Radio this morning. It was a wonderful and lengthy interview about him as a player & Chairman. He spoke so very well with conviction and stated that he aims to have the club set up in a position of financial strength under his watch as Chairman. It certainly was reassuring to hear positive comments about the future and the measures in finding the right private buyer that will prosper St.George (he did not mention Illawarra-which tells me the WIN take over ain't viable)
I agree with every point made here.
Dufty is a major positive for us. McInnes against the Titans was his best game in my opnion, ran from dummy half, two tries and his normal tackilig figures. Keep that up and he will be SOO
Win takeover is dead as far as I see.
But they are other options
Johno did state they are trying to find a buyer that is the best partnership for St.George & not St.George Illawarra. Yes I feel WIN is buried and there's plenty happening in the background to find the right fit.
It was a pleasure to hear him speak without hearing the words....Brand, good governance etc.etc. like the Doust wankathon!
intrigued, by St George and not St George Illawarra???
You're already hedging your bets for 2018.
With all the compliments you have thrown and optimism you have expressed it should be no less than top 4.
It is always easy to say we had a good year when you set the bar too low and top 6 is exactly that tooooooo low.
With some of what we have seen throughout this year and especially Mann's performance yesterday a good coach would be thinking top 4 if not top 2 after all we have a young side and Melbourne, Sharks, Roosters have ageing rosters.
If you are going to go early with predictions be bullish about it.
Separate names with a comma.