What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Season Review

Dragon Blood

Juniors
It's a dead set disgrace. I bet all the high finishers, including Storm and Roosters, will undertake appropriate reviews. But not us, despite our spectacular capitulation to fall out of finals contention.

Doust, Mary, Coyne, Johnston, the balance of the board - they're all self serving f**kers.

Straight Shooter
Hey OV, with all due respect I have agreed with the majority of of your post and disagreed with some, but hey this is open forum. I'm interested

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Hey OV, with all due respect I have agreed with the majority of of your post and disagreed with some, but hey this is open forum. I'm interested
Oops I hit something then that posted my reply, but anyway I'm interested in your thoughts to a succession pland if. Doust and all the Crownie brigade were replaced.

Not having a swing at you, just wondering g what your thoughts are moving forward

redVbull

Juniors
Unfortunate reality for the Dragons is our Board and CEO priorities are on running a viable football club business - the clubs FG performance is of secondary concern for which the Board/ CEO is not held to specific account.

Hence decisions to appoint/ renew an in-house, inexperienced coach at a fraction of market rates is seen as a financial bargain and a "Win" and is the overriding Board consideration. All the coach has to do now is coach the team to a level that is competitive (eg. on brink of semi-finals) to keep supporters engaged.

Its only when poor coaching /abysmal team performance leads to drop in gates and membership leads to reduced $$$ impact on club revenues is the Board motivated to act but only the bare minimum and hence institute reviews etc.

No amount of pleading emails to CEO/ Board / Facebook posts etc to sack a coach will make much difference. Dragon's Board/ CEO seem to value the bargain-price coach option over win-at-all-costs culture - so are prepared to accept lacklustre FG performance and supporter angst as a consequence.

Unfortunate reality for the Dragons is our Board and CEO priorities are on running a viable football club business - the clubs FG performance is of secondary concern for which the Board/ CEO is not held to specific account.

Hence decisions to appoint/ renew an in-house, inexperienced coach at a fraction of market rates is seen as a financial bargain and a "Win" and is the overriding Board consideration. All the coach has to do now is coach the team to a level that is competitive (eg. on brink of semi-finals) to keep supporters engaged.

Its only when poor coaching /abysmal team performance leads to drop in gates and membership leads to reduced $$$ impact on club revenues is the Board motivated to act but only the bare minimum and hence institute reviews etc.

No amount of pleading emails to CEO/ Board / Facebook posts etc to sack a coach will make much difference. Dragon's Board/ CEO seem to value the bargain-price coach option over win-at-all-costs culture - so are prepared to accept lacklustre FG performance and supporter angst as a consequence.
Your post rings true and explains many mystifying decisions that make no sense to anyone but the board.
However the decision to appoint McGregor instead of Demetriou (also bargain basement) was one of the worst, bare faced disgraces perpetrated by this board in recent memory.
So money considerations are not the only problem we are being subjected to.
Factional nepotism is one of the biggest problems we have.
I suppose the worst thing is the total disregard for the fans that love this club and have followed it staunchly though thick and thin.
We are being treated like morons by the powers that be.
I think we all understand that the NRL is a business these days but what the Board is doing has no integrity whatsoever.
Constantly snubbing their noses at the fans will ultimately be their downfall... I hope.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Unlike most other clubs there has been stony silence from the Dragons den about any post season reviews and review of KPI's. In previous seasons external third parties (I use those terms loosely) have been loudly touted as triumphantly bringing in a new era of high level performance goals and personnel to help the Dragons achieve the success we all crave for .

Nothing this season...as if all is well on the good ship and there is no need to stir up the native supporters with mention of end of season reviews for players, coaches and club setup. Maybe the Board are completely happy with how the 2017 season has panned out....
Doust and the Board had a business conference trip booked to Hawaii during the finals series and that is the reason for cancelling the end of season review. He had to Budget money for his crownies to be freighted over by qantas and that cost is the reason he wants to offload Thommo.

The Board approved the sale after a crownies (ahem Board session) in maui.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Of course, it could be that the silence is actually because the Board are taking action decisively sans review... >:|

IF ONLY!!!
You are giving them way too much credit EP, they will spend more time shoring up smokescreens and making excuses than doing anything proactive ,to fix a problem they first have to acknowledge that there is one ....That wont happen .
Coyne's addition to the commitee has been an abject failure .

dragonreddy

Juniors
Unfortunate reality for the Dragons is our Board and CEO priorities are on running a viable football club busines
s - the clubs FG performance is of secondary concern for which the Board/ CEO is not held to specific account.

Well said RVB ,I have highlighted your first sentence, we aren't even that as we languish along indebted to the NRL, so not are we one of the most poorly run clubs in the NRL we are one of the poorest ,literally.
Whilst we continue on with Doust at the helm with his 80's corporate ethos sans any wealth that went with it ,absolutely nothing will change , in his eyes he is the best thing for the club he hasn't noticed that the NRL has moved on since 1999.

dragonreddy

Juniors
I'm sure the performance committee which was formed after the last performance review are all over it....lol

I guess it's a glass half empty of half full review .... before the season started anywhere from 9th to 12th seemed to be the average prediction, so based on that it was a par season...
However the longer the season was to go the further down the ladder we would have fallen.
And to suggest 9th place is par based on pre season predictions is a cause for concern because you really shouldn't be heading into a season with a roster and coach that will achieve mid table at best...

You're correct RED but we know they will accept our finishing position as acceptable as they have for the last 6 years ,they pay lip service to the fans and then continue on in the same vein .

Two coaches, and I use that term very loosely , both reappointed way too quickly ,just smacks of the whole joint being on board with the acceptance of a woefully run club with no money being acceptable so long as they all keep their well paid positions.

Hornby and Young should be given the arse as well ,whatever it is that they are supposedly bringing to the team ,isn't working .
Time for change.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
IF ONLY!!!
You are giving them way too much credit EP, they will spend more time shoring up smokescreens and making excuses than doing anything proactive ,to fix a problem they first have to acknowledge that there is one ....That wont happen .
Coyne's addition to the commitee has been an abject failure .
They are in Hawaii

ouryear

Juniors

With respect I dont think this is the way it is.

Paying Mary say 400k a year versus paying a great coach
1 million a year would pay for itself by the following....

Crowd Numbers.
If we were in the top 3-4 all year long, our average crowd would be an extra 5,000 per game.

It may even be more than that.

Multiply 5,000 extra people paying even a modest $20 a ticket, equals $100,000 additional revenue per game.

10 games is an $1 million extra revenue.

Add extra merchandise sales, and sponsors who may want to get on board, extra revenue would be well over $2 million.

So paying an extra $600k or even $700k every year for a great coach will actually create more profit.

With respect I dont think this is the way it is.

Paying Mary say 400k a year versus paying a great coach
1 million a year would pay for itself by the following....

Crowd Numbers.
If we were in the top 3-4 all year long, our average crowd would be an extra 5,000 per game.

It may even be more than that.

Multiply 5,000 extra people paying even a modest $20 a ticket, equals $100,000 additional revenue per game.

10 games is an $1 million extra revenue.

Add extra merchandise sales, and sponsors who may want to get on board, extra revenue would be well over $2 million.

So paying an extra $600k or even $700k every year for a great coach will actually create more profit.
Bringing Bennett proved your point about discount coaches.
It is a false economy which I am sure is not lost on the Board.
Therefore the main consideration when appointing McGregor was not financial after all.
It had to do with control and appointing an Illawarra old boy no matter what the repercussions.

Bringing Bennett proved your point about discount coaches.
It is a false economy which I am sure is not lost on the Board.
Therefore the main consideration when appointing McGregor was not financial after all.
It had to do with control and appointing an Illawarra old boy no matter what the repercussions.

Mary's appointment was a classic case of nepotism and attempting to save the club money

Don't mind the fact that he is an Illawarra old boy

Do mind that there was zero logic in appointing him, as his coaching pedigree was non existent and his performance since being given the job has reflected that pedigree.

JD won the QLD Cup and NSW Cup. Broncos recognise his talent and appoint him as assistant coach

We appoint 2 old boys with very limited juniors coaching experience to assistant coach status.

In essence the blind are leading the blind.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Mary's appointment was a classic case of nepotism and attempting to save the club money

Don't mind the fact that he is an Illawarra old boy

Do mind that there was zero logic in appointing him, as his coaching pedigree was non existent and his performance since being given the job has reflected that pedigree.

JD won the QLD Cup and NSW Cup. Broncos recognise his talent and appoint him as assistant coach

We appoint 2 old boys with very limited juniors coaching experience to assistant coach status.

In essence the blind are leading the blind.
Dumb and dumber

I can just barely scrape past his appointment in the first instance but the decision to resign him in the 2017 mid-season (especially after the same failures with the price mid season signing also) is sheer madness.

Isn't the definition of insanity making a mistake and continuing to repeat the same mistake over and over again?

hazzbeen

Bench
Dumb and dumber

I can just barely scrape past his appointment in the first instance but the decision to resign him in the 2017 mid-season (especially after the same failures with the price mid season signing also) is sheer madness.

Isn't the definition of insanity making a mistake and continuing to repeat the same mistake over and over again?
Jokes aside the place is what everyone says its a BOYS CLUB all looking after them selves , they dont want outsiders to come in because they all know that will spell the end to all of them . Mary ,Young , Young jr , Hornby , Head , and who ever else is hanging on . If someone like Bellamy did come in he would sweep the floor with these guys . We need outside influence before we can be great again .....

BennyV

Referee

Wrong. Their priority is to ensure that their positions are safe, secure and unable to be usurped. Their second priority is to ensure that their friends and family members are set up with high-paying jobs, despite the fact that they are unsuitable for said jobs.

If they ran the club or first grade team as well as they shored up their positions, we'd be a lot better on and off the field...

SaintPauli

Juniors
We seriously need to closely look at Melbournes model. Man I am frigging jealous yet envious of their setup. i hope the end of season review gets and discusses Melbournes successful model.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
We seriously need to closely look at Melbournes model. Man I am frigging jealous yet envious of their setup. i hope the end of season review gets and discusses Melbournes successful model.
Melbourne have some advantages we do not - they were bankrolled by NRL because a weak team in Melbourne meant failure down there - hierarchy are protecting them and Brisbane to fight AFL. The NRL has never solved the old SYDNEY centric competition - AFL did that many years ago and are now far stronger.

We should have moved some 'dead' (low crowds, no money and weaker brand) clubs like cronulla to perth, moved norths to central coast, newtown to Adelaide and Balmain to Perth.

NRL has so much to fix - the super league really put everything back.

Melbourne have some advantages we do not - they were bankrolled by NRL because a weak team in Melbourne meant failure down there - hierarchy are protecting them and Brisbane to fight AFL. The NRL has never solved the old SYDNEY centric competition - AFL did that many years ago and are now far stronger.

We should have moved some 'dead' (low crowds, no money and weaker brand) clubs like cronulla to perth, moved norths to central coast, newtown to Adelaide and Balmain to Perth.

NRL has so much to fix - the super league really put everything back.
So why don`t they do it now?
Norths would be a great addition on the C Coast.

ouryear

Juniors
Guys, you do know our review has officially said.

Quote... "better than expected season with a 9th finish versus the expected 14th finish"

Expected finish by the board in 2018 is 8th to 10th.

Yes.....be afraid.

We are now irreversibly entrenced in Illawarras culture.

St George is dead.