What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerlifting: Dead lifts, Benchpress and Squats

Valderon

Juniors
great thread guys n gals i love incorporating the big 3 lifts into my regime along with weighted pull ups and bent over rows along with the odd isolation lifts eg curls/tricep push downs
i work on slow incrament progression eg 5kg increases to avoid injury
bench 42.5kg dumbells(no need for spotter)
squat 180kg for last 3 sets of 5 for 5 reps
deadlift 205kg
pull ups w/ a 15 kg plate linked to a belt 5x5
i enjoy doing this routine as i feel it will put me in good stead for a strong back and legs when i hit my 40s which isnt far away now im 38yo
current weight 99-100kg height172cm and recently added jogging/running to my weekly routine and struggling:D

Impressive squatting. Not sure how deep you go in your squats; though lifting 1.8 times your body mass in extra weight is a great achievement.

Snoochies

First Grade
great thread guys n gals i love incorporating the big 3 lifts into my regime along with weighted pull ups and bent over rows along with the odd isolation lifts eg curls/tricep push downs
i work on slow incrament progression eg 5kg increases to avoid injury
bench 42.5kg dumbells(no need for spotter)
squat 180kg for last 3 sets of 5 for 5 reps
deadlift 205kg
pull ups w/ a 15 kg plate linked to a belt 5x5
i enjoy doing this routine as i feel it will put me in good stead for a strong back and legs when i hit my 40s which isnt far away now im 38yo
current weight 99-100kg height172cm and recently added jogging/running to my weekly routine and struggling:D

Well done on all the above and you give me hope for the future. :D
I'm 2.5kg off your bench and 20kg of the squat so you have given me some motivation to push forward and reach a target. Just curious as to how long does it normally take to up the weight an extra 5kg at a time, weeks/months.

Cheers.

Valderon

Juniors
Why do squats exist....they kill me

Haha. They are an exhausting exercise .... but they're also one of my favourite ones to perform.

What's better, is that 9/10 when you go to a traditional community Gym; the squat rack (or power rack) are the most commonly available / free machines to use ..... everyone else is too focused on "bench".

18to87

First Grade
Wow did not expect to find a thread like this on here! Great stuff.

Guess I will jump on in. I aim to compete in my first meet possibly later this year/early next depending on how my current sport goes.

Currently am 6'6, 123 kg's, 26 years old. Best lifts RAW: D - 231 kg, S - 224 kg, B - 190.5 kg. Have lost a lot of weight since those lifts though.

Lets keep the thread going! Anyone ever used equipment before? Sounds like a lot of work just to get the stuff on.

18to87

First Grade
Haha. They are an exhausting exercise .... but they're also one of my favourite ones to perform.

What's better, is that 9/10 when you go to a traditional community Gym; the squat rack (or power rack) are the most commonly available / free machines to use ..... everyone else is too focused on "bench".

You mean the curl rack right ;-);-);-)

adamkungl

Immortal

I Go to the UNSW unigym, there's only one squat rack. Pain in the arse. Getting a bench press if far easier.

GuardDog

Juniors
Impressive squatting. Not sure how deep you go in your squats; though lifting 1.8 times your body mass in extra weight is a great achievement.
at the moment i have some1 spot me to tell me when im hitting parallel and i wont increase weight til im going below parallel no matter how many months/years it takes,.but thanks:)

GuardDog

Juniors
Well done on all the above and you give me hope for the future. :D
I'm 2.5kg off your bench and 20kg of the squat so you have given me some motivation to push forward and reach a target. Just curious as to how long does it normally take to up the weight an extra 5kg at a time, weeks/months.

Cheers.
honestly i go by feel for e.g. if u can squat 160kg for 5 sets 6 reps then maybe try to do 165 for 3-5reps on last set but whatever u do listen to your body and keep it safe cos squats n deads u dont wana mess with
small progress is still progress well thats how i roll anyway... cheers

GuardDog

Juniors
Wow did not expect to find a thread like this on here! Great stuff.

Guess I will jump on in. I aim to compete in my first meet possibly later this year/early next depending on how my current sport goes.

Currently am 6'6, 123 kg's, 26 years old. Best lifts RAW: D - 231 kg, S - 224 kg, B - 190.5 kg. Have lost a lot of weight since those lifts though.

Lets keep the thread going! Anyone ever used equipment before? Sounds like a lot of work just to get the stuff on.
thats awesome numbers should keep it up,.as for equipment not for me but i dont judge those who use i just hope they take doctors advice on how long to take it for,for their sake
i find it pricey(gear) and have other expenses to pay for but when i hit mid 40s which wont be too far i would try a cycle of hgh

Martli

Coach
thats awesome numbers should keep it up,.as for equipment not for me but i dont judge those who use i just hope they take doctors advice on how long to take it for,for their sake
i find it pricey(gear) and have other expenses to pay for but when i hit mid 40s which wont be too far i would try a cycle of hgh

Dude, I think by equipment he meant like benching shirts etc...

aqua_duck

Coach
I use to go fitness first bankstown, the most comical thing I ever saw was a lil scrawny teenager of middle eastern appearance complete with mullet, chains and fanny pack load up 120kg on the bench press (2X20kg plates and 1X10kg plate each side), the bloke looked no more than 65kg and he had no word of a lie 4 spotters, one on each side and 2 behind and the 5 of them conbined were still struggling. Needless to say I decided FF Bankstown wasn't my cup of tea

GuardDog

Juniors
I use to go fitness first bankstown, the most comical thing I ever saw was a lil scrawny teenager of middle eastern appearance complete with mullet, chains and fanny pack load up 120kg on the bench press (2X20kg plates and 1X10kg plate each side), the bloke looked no more than 65kg and he had no word of a lie 4 spotters, one on each side and 2 behind and the 5 of them conbined were still struggling. Needless to say I decided FF Bankstown wasn't my cup of tea

:lol: yep i can imagine,seen similar at my gym on days the school kids are in
im sure the gym owners have made them sign a waiver so they aren't responsible for injuries

GuardDog

Juniors
^ i wouldnt be surprised if the answer is no with the amount of things teachers allow to slide

Echo-The-Tiger

Juniors
I started up my new weights program last night but I was having a problem during barbell curls, if felt like my nerve/muscle was pulling and now today, my arm is locked in the position of an L.. anything to be worried about?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I started up my new weights program last night but I was having a problem during barbell curls, if felt like my nerve/muscle was pulling and now today, my arm is locked in the position of an L.. anything to be worried about?

quiet normal after your first time at the gym

you may not have used those muscles for some time, it will get easier the more you work them as long as you dont use weights that are too heavy for you

I assume you had a trainer at your gym set up your program for you, if not its a good idea to get some one to help you with a suitable program

18to87

First Grade
oops i stand corrected,.i ddnt know there are special shirts for benching
guess u learn smthng new every day

Yeah I meant squat suits and bench suits and that. I believe you need to train differently when using equipment to break them in. I believe the suits can add anywhere from 20 kg to 60 kg to your one rep max by keeping you tight throughout the movement.

Latest posts