What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerlifting: Dead lifts, Benchpress and Squats

18to87

First Grade
I would highly recommend this program for anyone looking to get stronger and bigger for that matter.

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

Don't be put off by the name. This guy has coached many elite athletes and they follow most of the principles outlined in the program/article.

GuardDog

Juniors
Yeah I meant squat suits and bench suits and that. I believe you need to train differently when using equipment to break them in. I believe the suits can add anywhere from 20 kg to 60 kg to your one rep max by keeping you tight throughout the movement.

so these suits are for trainers that compete then?i bet they cost a bit also

Valderon

Juniors
I would highly recommend this program for anyone looking to get stronger and bigger for that matter.

Don't be put off by the name. This guy has coached many elite athletes and they follow most of the principles outlined in the program/article.

DeFranco is fantastic.

Having said that, I've gained 30kgs of lean mass over four years through simple consistency in the Gym, and with my nutrition. (50kg > 80kg) , with only a 2.5% increase in body fat (10% > 12.5%).

Basically, it all depends on your goal as to how you should train. Though, DeFranco's program is one such program that is prewritten, and well justified!

Johns Magic

Referee
DeFranco is fantastic.

Having said that, I've gained 30kgs of lean mass over four years through simple consistency in the Gym, and with my nutrition. (50kg > 80kg) , with only a 2.5% increase in body fat (10% > 12.5%).

Basically, it all depends on your goal as to how you should train. Though, DeFranco's program is one such program that is prewritten, and well justified!

You were 50kg? How old were you?

macavity

Referee
DeFranco is fantastic.

50kg, WTF??

how old/tall?

I was heavier than that when I was 12.....

aqua_duck

Coach
I was 68kg after a bout of glandular fever when I first started gym about 4 years ago, now weighing in at 85kg with 13% bf, I've found doesn't really matter what routine I'm doing as long as I'm eating my 4000+ calories a day and training 3-4 days a week I've gotten results

Valderon

Juniors
You were 50kg? How old were you?

I was 18 years of age, and 6ft tall.

I'm sure you can only imagine how skinny and light that was.

These days I am a muscular 80kgs; people often think I look closer to 85kgs/90kgs.

Hence why those who are naturally very thin or light frustrate me when they say "it's too hard" ... the formula to bulk is as easy as it is to cut. Just need to pay attention to your own habits!

macavity

Referee
6ft and 50kg... holy hell.

even 80kg is very lean for 6ft! I am just under 6'2, and was too thin at 92kg...

what is your goal weight?

Johns Magic

Referee
I was 18 years of age, and 6ft tall.

I'm sure you can only imagine how skinny and light that was.

These days I am a muscular 80kgs; people often think I look closer to 85kgs/90kgs.

Hence why those who are naturally very thin or light frustrate me when they say "it's too hard" ... the formula to bulk is as easy as it is to cut. Just need to pay attention to your own habits!

Unbelievable.

My youngest brother is 13 years old, 5 foot 6 and the cross-country champion of his year at school(200 boys), and he weighs 48kg. And he hasn't even hit puberty yet.

I've never heard of an 18 year old boy weighing less than 55kg, let alone a 6 foot one.

Did you play any sports at all?

sooperdooper

First Grade
good thread...
ok here are my stats when i am training for pure strength.
I will execute a min of 4 reps and max of 6.

Bench: 145kgs
Squats: 160kgs
Deadlifts: 165kgs

I am 23 years of age and weigh around 82kgs. However my weight rises and lowers between 80kgs and 85kgs.

In regards to D/B shoulder press... i use 40-45 kgs dumbells.

macavity

Referee

I started on WS4SB on Monday - even though I'm a fat bastard!

I am also doing a boxing class on Wednesdays (their rest day), and cardio every arvo.

I really need a spotter desperately, it is impossible to lift to failure without one.

adamkungl

Immortal
had a look WS4SB. Seems like a good plan, thinking about it. Might be one for next offseason though.

Latest posts