What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre season Pre power rankings +$16 Gin

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think they should be judged on their ability to create plays when they aren’t necessarily on. This to me is what separates creative playmakers like Thurston, Moses and DCE from the simple executors like Cronk and Pearce.
Rugby League is ridiculously choreographed. What is important is having a half who is first and foremost rock solid and 100% dependable. Anything beyond that is the cream on top.

To suggest that the cream is more desirable then whatever the f**k it is splodged on is counter to how I imagine great coaches like Bellamy and Bennett think. Are you suggesting that they are wrong?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Rugby League is ridiculously choreographed. What is important is having a half who is first and foremost rock solid and 100% dependable. Anything beyond that is the cream on top.

To suggest that the cream is more desirable then whatever the f**k it is splodged on is counter to how I imagine great coaches like Bellamy and Bennett think. Are you suggesting that they are wrong?
Bennett's primary half is the unreliable Anthony Milford, also a better playmaker than Cronk. Bellamy still has a bunch of playmaking in his spine to cover for whoever replaces Cronk. They'll be prepared for it after covering for Cronk all these years.

strider

Post Whore
Bennett's primary half is the unreliable Anthony Milford, also a better playmaker than Cronk. Bellamy still has a bunch of playmaking in his spine to cover for whoever replaces Cronk. They'll be prepared for it after covering for Cronk all these years.
They prepared for covering for cronk by making a clone of him

hindy111

Post Whore

Wayne Bennet naked covered in cream with a cherry on top? You sick man.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Bennett's primary half is the unreliable Anthony Milford, also a better playmaker than Cronk.
He's 'unreliable' yet he's a better playmaker than Cronk? You're going to need to explain that one to me.
Bellamy still has a bunch of playmaking in his spine to cover for whoever replaces Cronk. They'll be prepared for it after covering for Cronk all these years.
I guarantee that Cronk's replacement will play a very similar role to Cronk. The big question is whether he will be as reliable.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Storm now have Munster who is getting close to elite level.

So they will have a spine of:

1. Slater
6. Munster
7. TBC (probably croft)
9. Smith

So they still have a bloody good spine, good enough to be top 4. They have 3 current Aust reps in their spine. Who in the Comp will have a better spine ?

Not sure how panthers spine is better then that spine. Surpose they do have the NSW halfback and former NSW halfback playing hooker.

84 Baby

Referee

I reckon Cronk is so ridiculously good at set play organising that it is almost akin to “playmaking”

hindy111

Post Whore
Storm now have Munster who is getting close to elite level.

So they will have a spine of:

1. Slater
6. Munster
7. TBC (probably croft)
9. Smith

So they still have a bloody good spine, good enough to be top 4. They have 3 current Aust reps in their spine. Who in the Comp will have a better spine ?

Not sure how panthers spine is better then that spine. Surpose they do have the NSW halfback and former NSW halfback playing hooker.

I think Cleary is solid but more your Pearce style half. I might be demoting them from top spot after thinking about it.

Storm lost a few good forwards but replaced them with guys who could step up.

hindy111

Post Whore
He's 'unreliable' yet he's a better playmaker than Cronk? You're going to need to explain that one to me.

I guarantee that Cronk's replacement will play a very similar role to Cronk. The big question is whether he will be as reliable.

Agree with Pou. Milford has more trickey to unlock harder defense.
Cronk just finished what teams created. He also rarely has to chase points for his side or on back foot so can play his natural game.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cronks like the Tom Brady of Nfl.
Better QBs around but not in ever a good team or system.
Example Brew Brees.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Cleary is solid but more your Pearce style half. I might be demoting them from top spot after thinking about it.

Storm lost a few good forwards but replaced them with guys who could step up.

they have got Big Sam who could add something different to their attack if he gets fit. Harris is a pretty big loss.

I think Storm may still have some cap space to pick up another top 17 player.

hindy111

Post Whore
they have got Big Sam who could add something different to their attack if he gets fit. Harris is a pretty big loss.

I think Storm may still have some cap space to pick up another top 17 player.
Jordan Mclean also gone....

Id say Carr and Vunavallu would need upgrading soon.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He has greater ability to create tries and linebreaks, but is less ‘solid’ than Cronk in all the percentage areas - handling, defence, kicking, etc
Agreed

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He has greater ability to create tries and linebreaks, but is less ‘solid’ than Cronk in all the percentage areas - handling, defence, kicking, etc
On balance I would call him a lesser playmaker than Cronk then. If Milford's handling and kicking game is 'unreliable' that's hardly a glowing endorsement given they are fundamental attributes to being a highly effective playmaker.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
In my younger days I was a highly effective prop. Whenever I carried the ball opposition defences would shit themselves. Sure I often dropped the ball or ran the wrong way with it. I also had a habit of tackling teammates but f**k me I was good when I carried the ball.

Probably one of the most highly effective props ever to play the game as a result of my ball carrying skills.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On balance I would call him a lesser playmaker than Cronk then. If Milford's handling and kicking game is 'unreliable' that's hardly a glowing endorsement given they are fundamental attributes to being a highly effective playmaker.
He is obviously not actually unreliable - he is the primary playmaker in a consistent top eight side. He is only comparatively unreliable compared to plodders like Cronk and Pearce.

These latter two are better players than Milford. They are just inferior playmakers.